TPMS... nothing but crap - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TPMS... nothing but crap

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    If the FOBO sensors are BT then are they always trying to sync? Which would lead to a shorter battery life?
    This is true but you can shut them down and they will only activate if pressure goes outside of the parameters, that are set by the user.

Interesting question about the BT synching and effect on battery life; I also have a question about operation. BT has a low power standard that they call BLE... Bluetooth Low Energy. The marketing material should specify whether or not BLE is being used, or if it's "regular" BT.

When any communication link gets shutdown, whether it's LAN, BT, or whatever, there's a certain amount of software "handshaking" that needs to take place before the link comes online. For example, the two devices need to confirm with each other that they're powered up, they need to agree on link speed, and several other interoperability specs.

When you first powerup your computer, you may notice that the internet connection takes a while before its' ready. This software handshaking is the reason for the delay, and you may also notice that it takes a good deal of time. I'm not up to speed on BT links, maybe they come up faster, and maybe not. If BT systems are using a shutdown mode to conserve battery life, I'd want to understand when and where the link does that, and how quickly the link gets re-established.

Just sharing a random thought...

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Interesting question about the BT synching and effect on battery life; I also have a question about operation. BT has a low power standard that they call BLE... Bluetooth Low Energy. The marketing material should specify whether or not BLE is being used, or if it's "regular" BT.

When any communication link gets shutdown, whether it's LAN, BT, or whatever, there's a certain amount of software "handshaking" that needs to take place before the link comes online. For example, the two devices need to confirm with each other that they're powered up, they need to agree on link speed, and several other interoperability specs.

When you first powerup your computer, you may notice that the internet connection takes a while before its' ready. This software handshaking is the reason for the delay, and you may also notice that it takes a good deal of time. I'm not up to speed on BT links, maybe they come up faster, and maybe not. If BT systems are using a shutdown mode to conserve battery life, I'd want to understand when and where the link does that, and how quickly the link gets re-established.

Just sharing a random thought...
    If memory serves, bluetooth v4 is very battery friendly. To me, since the batteries are replaceable, Im not sure I would have an issue with this, so long as you get 1+ years of service

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    If memory serves, bluetooth v4 is very battery friendly. To me, since the batteries are replaceable, Im not sure I would have an issue with this, so long as you get 1+ years of service
    Wow, this unit is absolutely the $hit. I am very impressed. The guy who installed it for me said it was within .5psi of his $100 tool, and you can see when it updates. the psi or temp goes blank for 1-2 seconds and then the updated value is shown. i had no idea how hot the tires get when you ride, and the PSI goes +7-8 from cold. I always figured 4-5 when I was adding air to hot tires. just food for thought.

thanks SO much for this thread!

Happy to report that the Orange are back in production. Post #6 has some good info.
    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...stem-RRR-Tools

Ordered Orange M203 today, 2 day usps priority shipping, install it Friday, let you know how it turns out,BTW $175 o/d.

Love those M203 , no more getting DOWN to check the pressure, and the added features of sensor unit remaining voltage, bike output voltage, and tire temp, and best of all easy and quick install, great product for safe riding.

Try this one..

Fobobike...have on mine and works great $99 bucks...

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike

Interesting read for those wanting to know the regulations and guidance given by NHTSA regarding TPMS systems. Seems like there is a requirement buried in the mess that covers how often the system should report (test) pressure in the tire(s), as well as when the MIL light should come on.

NHTSA FMVSS 138 - TPMS

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add my +1 for the FOBO setup.
    Ran them on my PC800, and in fact left them on when I sold the bike.
    Took a couple minutes to log-in to their website to "release" them to the new owner... Done.
    (They are bound to an email address when you first install them - makes them useless if stolen and installed on another bike).

Great $100 investment.
    I'll buy another set for the F6B when I get mine.

Jim