Cortez rides

Thread: Cortez rides

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well I have to say that the Moab area might be a "must see" and it is close enough to Cortez to visit in a day. So much to see, need more than a few days. Maybe arrive early, depart late. Wife was already saying "The Rally is four days?" Plus 3 days out and 3 days back now I want to make it half a month.

Your proposed rides are pretty good and the suggestions by F6bster are also good. If you want to ride to Moab I suggest a combination of a couple of your already mentioned highways. Co-145 and C0-141 north from Cortez and Dolores to Naturita and then Co-90 west into Utah where it becomes Ut-46 to US-191 to Moab. Co-90 and Ut-46 are not well known but are great riding roads. After Moab you can ride south on US-191 to Us-491 east back to Cortez.

As F6Bster mentioned Co-149 (known as the Silver Thread) is a terrific ride and then east on Us-160 over Wolf Creek Pass through Pagosa Springs back to Cortez. Although a long day it is easily doable with an early start.

US-550 from Durango to Ridgway (the Million Dollar Highway) that you have planned I consider an absolute must for anyone in the area.

Also as mentioned Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly are easily reached from Cortez. The Navajo Reservation in northeast Arizona although not well known has some great roads with marvelous scenery.

I agree with F6Bster that small groups are the best way to ride, although I personally am comfortable with 8 to 10 bikes. My experience is the larger the group the less miles and the more stops. There should be plenty of people with local knowledge to have enough group leaders. Also I can put together rides on gpx files and download them into anybody's Gps that wants them. Also your idea of extending the rally to be able to see more of the area has a lot of merit.

It should be a great rally and I will be available to help anybody who asks with routing help. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Az Wingrider