GPS choice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GPS choice?

I had a Garmin 450 that went with my Victory when I sold it. I bought the 660. How is it possible for a newer model to be much worse than the one it replaces? It was marked down from $600 to $350 and is not worth a refurbished Nuvi that you can get for half that!
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just baffle's the mind...
    Regards,
    Sober Biker

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
    It is the illusion of knowledge."
    ~ Stephen Hawking

2016 Goldwing F6B - Yet to be named
    2013 Goldwing F6B - "Bat Bike" Traded
    2008 BMW K1200LT - "Da Couch"

I hate to have too many pricey doodads hanging off the bike, I'm happy with my Garmin Nuvi 50LM mainly because of the lifetime maps and low price.
    I'd love to have the top of the line but would hate to pay for it and would hate to lose it to thieves or a drop.
    The Nuvi works great plus has a nice RAM mount adapter:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
    Downside is that it won't do GPX files, this is something I didn't know about when I bought it, will look for a unit that supports them next time around.
    I'm probably the only one who didn't know about GPX files, but if someone else doesn't; here's the deal:
    You can go to a site like this and download the GPX file and put it on your GPS unit, then you load it and follow it.
    The above isn't the best example, the route can be much more complex, comprising many different roads and turns that would be cumbersome to program directly into a GPS unit and distracting if you were to use tank bag mounted turn-by-turn written directions.

So the checklist for next unit is: GPX compatible and RAM mount available. Waterproof is pretty expensive compared to a ziplock bag.

I went back and forth between getting the 660 or the 590. Ultimately, I decided on the 590...mostly for the TPMS capabilities. Haven't installed the TPMS as yet, but I intend to before long.

So far, I don't regret the decision.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

NO your not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I hate to have too many pricey doodads hanging off the bike, I'm happy with my Garmin Nuvi 50LM mainly because of the lifetime maps and low price.
    I'd love to have the top of the line but would hate to pay for it and would hate to lose it to thieves or a drop.
    The Nuvi works great plus has a nice RAM mount adapter:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
    Downside is that it won't do GPX files, this is something I didn't know about when I bought it, will look for a unit that supports them next time around.
    I'm probably the only one who didn't know about GPX files, but if someone else doesn't; here's the deal:
    You can go to a site like this and download the GPX file and put it on your GPS unit, then you load it and follow it.
    The above isn't the best example, the route can be much more complex, comprising many different roads and turns that would be cumbersome to program directly into a GPS unit and distracting if you were to use tank bag mounted turn-by-turn written directions.

So the checklist for next unit is: GPX compatible and RAM mount available. Waterproof is pretty expensive compared to a ziplock bag.
    I haven't a clue what a GPX file is and have not the want to find out. I like things simple that work without all the hi tech stuff. I still have a stupid phone that works just fine as a phone and wouldn't want a smart phone for love nor money. My Nuvi 205 with it little screen work just fine and has many other trips under its belt. It has always been right on target and puts me at the place I log in.
    The biggest thing with all of these is to unload the new maps often. If you try to avoid that it will cause your unit to error.

The issues I have with the 660 is not whether or not it works. It functions just fine. But if you are designing a GPS for a bike and charging 3X the price because of that, then make features that work on a bike. Such as--- The screen on the 660 is not very bright. I keep it at 100% brightness all of the time. If you wear polarized sunglasses or a full face helmet with a tinted shield it is hard to see. Then, in bright sunlight--like you tend to have on a bike much of the time--you have to strain to make out the screen. If you are riding with the sun to your back, you can't see anything on the screen at all.

I hooked up the bluetooth to my phone and if you are stopped and scream into it, the other party will still have a hard time making out what you are saying. This is not a big deal because this is a feature I can live without.

The processor is slow. When you turn if you have another quick turn, you will be past it before it will tell you---then you hear the "re-calculating". How does the newer model have a slower processor?????

Also, no way to lock it on the bike. Anybody can walk past and remove it in less than a second. My Zumo 450 had a lock with a "1 mm snake eye" bit that kept it somewhat secure for a brief period.

These are sub par performance issues that I never had on my 450---(got it around 2007)--- which was much older and performed much better.

Go figure
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I still have the 550, I had a 3 something once. There are a couple of locks out there that are great. There is another thread on GPS's a week ago that has the info for the locks and GPS compared as well.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Garmin 390 LM
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

I have a few Garmins, the 550 Nuvi, 660 Zumo and my still favorite good old 2610. They are all waterproof and the 660 and 2610 are mounted to the Motorcycle with RAM Mounts. The 2610 mount has a "locked on the bike" mount but we all know how long that would hold up if someone really wanted it. The 660 has the quick release feature that I like as it drops right in the cubby when I walk away from the bike, or gets put in a saddlebag if I need a more secure place.

The 550 for general use and an extra unit on long trips.

The 660 mounted on the F6B. It works well for me. My GPSs are used as moving maps and I keep an eye on where I am and when to turn without audible directions.

The 2610 is mounted on my 78 Wing. It is an old unit and not supported any longer and has a bit smaller screen but has features that the 660 doesn't have that are still important to me.

All of my GPS's have the audio turned off. After my divorce I decided I do NOT care for another woman telling me when to turn and where to go!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post

All of my GPS's have the audio turned off. After my divorce I decided I do NOT care for another woman telling me when to turn and where to go!!!!
    LOL... Dan you can change it to a male voice
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.