GPS Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS Advice

Quote Originally Posted by soupbean View Post
    Yes the TomTom & Magellan are hard to beat for ease of use. Had a Magellan in my truck for about fifteen years and the wife currently has a Magellan ; super user friendly !
    Bought a Garmin 660LM several years ago, they were fairly new out then. Great unit with many really good features. But as others have noted, very pricey. I'm currently finishing up a mount for the "6". Going to run the audio cable into the left pocket so I can play GPS stored music & turn by turn through the bikes audio.
    I use an old Garmin Car based GPS in a waterproof case that I mounted on RAM ball mount on the left handle bar. I can't upload a picture of it but this is where I bought it with an image attached. For $40 bucks I couldn't go wrong and I already had the old GPS. Like the TomTom you can upload routes through the site and load them on the GPS via the memory card.

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-mot...-weather-black

Quote Originally Posted by soupbean View Post
    Yes the TomTom & Magellan are hard to beat for ease of use. Had a Magellan in my truck for about fifteen years and the wife currently has a Magellan ; super user friendly !
    Bought a Garmin 660LM several years ago, they were fairly new out then. Great unit with many really good features. But as others have noted, very pricey. I'm currently finishing up a mount for the "6". Going to run the audio cable into the left pocket so I can play GPS stored music & turn by turn through the bikes audio.
    Super easy to do with the supplied wiring kit with the Garmin 660 and IMO the mp3 audio through the garmin "appears" to have a more robust volume. You'll like the result.

I use a Garmin 52LM I gave about 100 bucks for that is held on by a nice bracket. I keep a ziplock sandwich bag to put over it in the rare case I might get caught in the rain. I can always take it off easily for weather or to wash the bike or if I leave the bike parked where it might get stolen. The speaker is loud enough that it gets my attention if I need to hear it. It is cheap enough to replace if I am unlucky enough to have it stolen at some point. Lifetime updates are included with the unit.

Great Ideas

Thanks to all for these great ideas. I thought my mind was made up until the last batch. A lot of units come with a mounting bracket designed for round handle bars. Looks like they may not work on F6B bars. I will figure this out when I get some time around other F6B's.

I have an item like this in the spare parts bin. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...cradle-adapter Used a flat strip of metal also from spare parts, had to drill one hole, already had one, added some small bolts, maybe 10/32s and pinched the square bars. Works great and with a med sized RAM arm it puts the unit right where I like it. You can also use the type that goes on/under the reservoir bolts. That puts the unit too far toward me for my taste. Lots of options.

IMHO find an old 550 and never look back !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

RAM makes a nice ball mount that will bolt directly to the front brake reservoir with longer bolts. I have a Tom Tom Rider floating around here somewhere. Send me a PM if you are interested in going that route.

Still love my Garmin 550

Chris

Some of the Garmin GPS units are TPMS capable. Just need to buy the extra tire sensors. The newer Garmins also have a database of photo radar and red light camera alerts like what some radar detectors have. Those are some nice additional features. They also have MP3 players, points of interest (like gas stations) and phone paring.