Contemplating F6B Purchase -- Advice Needed!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating F6B Purchase -- Advice Needed!

Contemplating F6B Purchase -- Advice Needed!

Hello forum members! I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of weeks while I've been actively contemplating purchasing an F6B. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, but wanted to solicit some advice from F6B owners...

Here's my story: I owned a 2003 GL1800 for 4 years and loved it dearly. However, I really couldn't get my wife to ride with me, so I sold the Goldwing last year to help finance a convertible car purchase (wife likes that much better). However, I've missed my GL1800 ever since I sold, and started looking for good deals on used Wings a while back to "get back into the game." I discovered the F6Bs and immediately fell in love with the more youthful styling and overall "vibe" of the bike. I also found that there are still quite a few leftover 2013 F6Bs around, with a going rate of around $14,995 with all the rebates and discounts (pretty amazing!).

From reading posts on this forum, I've discovered the weak paint problem, and from looking at a new black F6B at the local dealer, I was definitely able to detect lots of swirls and paint issues. So that is pushing me in the direction of a red F6B, which is also available at my local dealer as a brand new leftover 2013 for $14,995.

I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed the local dealer ALSO had leftover new 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie's for sale for an amazing price ($11,199!). This put me off the F6B track for a while, as I researched the Valkyries and tried to determine if I could make one of them work for me. I loved the blue color and the overall "mean" look of the "naked" Wing, but in the end, I've decided that by the time I added the tall windshield (which I'm not that crazy about, but would be necessary), the passenger backrest, and some saddlebags, I'd be pretty close to the price of the F6B (and I'd be missing a stereo and fairing).

So I was about to pull the trigger on the new 2013 Base model F6B (couldn't find any of the Deluxe models available in my area) when the dealer mentioned he had just taken a used red 2013 F6B Deluxe in on trade. He showed me the bike, which was immaculate, and I was happy to see the previous owner had added a Throttlemeister throttle lock and some nice highway pegs (both things I'd want to do anyway). The bike has 7K miles at this point, and has a little over a year left on the original factory warranty. The dealer has a great relationship with the previous owner, and said he was extremely meticulous with how he took care of his bikes (which confirmed how nice the bike looked). The dealer's first offer was to sell the used F6B for $14000, but I had a feeling there might be a bit more wiggle room in that deal.

My questions:

1. Would it make more sense to purchase the brand new (with 4-year warranty) F6B (non-Deluxe) and spend the money to add the passenger backrest ($350?), highway pegs ($250?), center stand, taller windshield, etc.? Total would probably come to around $16K with all the extras, but I'd be able to use the Honda 1.9% financing for 36 months, which would be nice.

2. Or should I just go for the used 2013 F6B Deluxe which is already set up pretty much how I'd like it (I'd probably just add a bit taller of a windshield)? If this route makes more sense, any advice on what a good price would be for me to offer the dealer on a used model? He realizes his main competition is the new leftover 2013s with the full warranty... Downside to this route is the slightly worn tires, less warranty remaining, and higher rate financing (probably around 4-5%).

3. Or are there any out there who think I should go the Valkyrie route at the amazing low price of $11,199 (this probably is the best actual "deal" to be found, but I'm just not sure I'd be happy with the bike).

Thanks for any advice anyone would like to offer!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Riknchar View Post
    Hello forum members! I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of weeks while I've been actively contemplating purchasing an F6B. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, but wanted to solicit some advice from F6B owners...

Here's my story: I owned a 2003 GL1800 for 4 years and loved it dearly. However, I really couldn't get my wife to ride with me, so I sold the Goldwing last year to help finance a convertible car purchase (wife likes that much better). However, I've missed my GL1800 ever since I sold, and started looking for good deals on used Wings a while back to "get back into the game." I discovered the F6Bs and immediately fell in love with the more youthful styling and overall "vibe" of the bike. I also found that there are still quite a few leftover 2013 F6Bs around, with a going rate of around $14,995 with all the rebates and discounts (pretty amazing!).

From reading posts on this forum, I've discovered the weak paint problem, and from looking at a new black F6B at the local dealer, I was definitely able to detect lots of swirls and paint issues. So that is pushing me in the direction of a red F6B, which is also available at my local dealer as a brand new leftover 2013 for $14,995.

I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed the local dealer ALSO had leftover new 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie's for sale for an amazing price ($11,199!). This put me off the F6B track for a while, as I researched the Valkyries and tried to determine if I could make one of them work for me. I loved the blue color and the overall "mean" look of the "naked" Wing, but in the end, I've decided that by the time I added the tall windshield (which I'm not that crazy about, but would be necessary), the passenger backrest, and some saddlebags, I'd be pretty close to the price of the F6B (and I'd be missing a stereo and fairing).

So I was about to pull the trigger on the new 2013 Base model F6B (couldn't find any of the Deluxe models available in my area) when the dealer mentioned he had just taken a used red 2013 F6B Deluxe in on trade. He showed me the bike, which was immaculate, and I was happy to see the previous owner had added a Throttlemeister throttle lock and some nice highway pegs (both things I'd want to do anyway). The bike has 7K miles at this point, and has a little over a year left on the original factory warranty. The dealer has a great relationship with the previous owner, and said he was extremely meticulous with how he took care of his bikes (which confirmed how nice the bike looked). The dealer's first offer was to sell the used F6B for $14000, but I had a feeling there might be a bit more wiggle room in that deal.

My questions:

1. Would it make more sense to purchase the brand new (with 4-year warranty) F6B (non-Deluxe) and spend the money to add the passenger backrest ($350?), highway pegs ($250?), center stand, taller windshield, etc.? Total would probably come to around $16K with all the extras, but I'd be able to use the Honda 1.9% financing for 36 months, which would be nice.

2. Or should I just go for the used 2013 F6B Deluxe which is already set up pretty much how I'd like it (I'd probably just add a bit taller of a windshield)? If this route makes more sense, any advice on what a good price would be for me to offer the dealer on a used model? He realizes his main competition is the new leftover 2013s with the full warranty... Downside to this route is the slightly worn tires, less warranty remaining, and higher rate financing (probably around 4-5%).

3. Or are there any out there who think I should go the Valkyrie route at the amazing low price of $11,199 (this probably is the best actual "deal" to be found, but I'm just not sure I'd be happy with the bike).

Thanks for any advice anyone would like to offer!

Rick
    Your call as your the one that will own and ride the bike...If your going to keep it for a while I would probably go for the new one, pay what you best deal is and enjoy this great bike....If your going to change bikes soon, the used one may be the best deal financially, but maybe not what you really want....I would not buy the Valkyrie for the reasons you posted...Although if your into a fast ride and great handling, Corbin makes a great set of bags ($1400) and add the Honda shield and it might work for you...Good Luck on your decision...

Hello and welcome Riknchar

Understanding that your local dealer is short on stock, can I recommend ordering and purchasing a new 2014 or 2015 F6B and simply wait for the delivery. If you are in the market for an F6 then I would suggest buying new and waiting for it's arrival. Wider variety of colours and options too! Take charge of your order, don't let the dealer steer you in the wrong direction.

Oh, and the Valkyrie? Walk away...it's just a city bike with a big heart.

I bought my 2013 brand new last year. I love it.i personally don't care for the Valk, but to each his own. I do like the full fairing and radio on thF6B, and did care if it has no cruise control. I did change out the stock shield almost immediately, and am considering adding a back rest to the stock seat or a new ultimate seat with a back rest.

as for the used vs new, i would just do the math to see which is best over the long term. Considering the differnce in interst, the new one may actually be close the same price over the term of the loan. But you may be able to buy an extension of the warranty on the used. i am considering that myself

I agree with unsub...or there are better deals on a 2013 at a closer dealer...look some more then decide...no rush...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Hello and welcome Riknchar

Understanding that your local dealer is short on stock, can I recommend ordering and purchasing a new 2014 or 2015 F6B and simply wait for the delivery. If you are in the market for an F6 then I would suggest buying new and waiting for it's arrival. Wider variety of colours and options too! Take charge of your order, don't let the dealer steer you in the wrong direction.

Oh, and the Valkyrie? Walk away...it's just a city bike with a big heart.
    Thanks for the feedback! I did look at the 2015 model (love that cruise control!), but it's tough to see paying $5000 more to get a new 2015 vs a new 2013...

I agree about the Valkyrie... but there's something about it that makes my adrenaline start flowing, as impractical as it is...

Rick

You could ask your dealer to through in the extended warranty on the used / new F6B.

Rick, the bike you purchase depends on what type of bike riding you do. i.e. if you plan to do touring, motorcycle trips, store items on your bike, etc...then get the F6B. If you just want a bar hopper or you go on small rides that don't involve carrying anything, then get the Valkyrie. Personally, the current Valkyries will be pretty tough to resale.

As for which F6B you should purchase...it's cheaper to just go with a Deluxe (heated grips, center stand, passenger back rest, and self canceling turn signals). If I was looking for a red F6B, I would get the used Deluxe that just got traded in. With that, your dealer is over charging you for it...like you said, for less than $1k more, you get the full warranty, reduced financing rate and it's new. Now, Honda has an incentive right now for the new 2013 F6B and Deluxe...they are offering $2,500 in Honda Bonus Bucks. So you should find out if that $15K price includes that.

As for the used 2013 Deluxe, the dealer did not pay more than $11,750 for it. They made a profit off the original sale, just obtained this trade in so they could rid a new bike, and I'm sure all they did to the bike was preform the required oil change. Yes, the tires are used, but you should be able to add another 7,000 miles to it. I'd say, since you seem interested in the used bike since it's already configured how you like and it's clean...go for the used one...but don't offer more than $12K for it. The dealer will say there are accessories on it, so you don't have to add them....well, dealers don't pay any extra money for the accessories. He's had the new 2013's sitting in his showroom for two years, I doubt he wants to loose an interested buyer to rid the used 2013 Deluxe. I say why spend $3K more plus the cost of accessories when all you are saving is the cost of the warranty and the 7K miles. Honda does offer extended warranty plans you can purchase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by mike2000t View Post
    I bought my 2013 brand new last year. I love it.i personally don't care for the Valk, but to each his own. I do like the full fairing and radio on thF6B, and did care if it has no cruise control. I did change out the stock shield almost immediately, and am considering adding a back rest to the stock seat or a new ultimate seat with a back rest.

as for the used vs new, i would just do the math to see which is best over the long term. Considering the differnce in interst, the new one may actually be close the same price over the term of the loan. But you may be able to buy an extension of the warranty on the used. i am considering that myself
    Thanks for the feedback! I don't know how much difference the interest rate will really make -- I will probably pay the bike off pretty quickly unless i get the 1.99% from Honda (not much incentive to pay that one off quickly at that rate).

I did read with interest the fact that I could purchase a 4 year extended warranty for a reasonable price (around $500-600, it seems) at any time that my bike remains under the original factory warranty. That may make sense on the used 2013 I'm considering, although to be honest, I'm really not sure how much need there would be for an extended warranty on a Goldwing -- they tend to be pretty bullet-proof, and I really baby my bikes. I had my last Goldwing for 4 years and it only had one minor repair required (faulty brake switch making the cruise control inoperative). A warranty wouldn't have paid for itself on that one, but you never know, I suppose.

I will definitely be buying a taller windshield. I'm 5'9", so I think I could get by with the Baggershield 11 inch tinted model. I had the WindBender STS on my old Wing and LOVED it! A bit pricy, though (around $300 vs $139 for the BaggerShield model).

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by VP8 View Post
    Rick, the bike you purchase depends on what type of bike riding you do. i.e. if you plan to do touring, motorcycle trips, store items on your bike, etc...then get the F6B. If you just want a bar hopper or you go on small rides that don't involve carrying anything, then get the Valkyrie. Personally, the current Valkyries will be pretty tough to resale.

As for which F6B you should purchase...it's cheaper to just go with a Deluxe (heated grips, center stand, passenger back rest, and self canceling turn signals). If I was looking for a red F6B, I would get the used Deluxe that just got traded in. With that, your dealer is over charging you for it...like you said, for less than $1k more, you get the full warranty, reduced financing rate and it's new. Now, Honda has an incentive right now for the new 2013 F6B and Deluxe...they are offering $2,500 in Honda Bonus Bucks. So you should find out if that $15K price includes that.

As for the used 2013 Deluxe, the dealer did not pay more than $11,750 for it. They made a profit off the original sale, just obtained this trade in so they could rid a new bike, and I'm sure all they did to the bike was preform the required oil change. Yes, the tires are used, but you should be able to add another 7,000 miles to it. I'd say, since you seem interested in the used bike since it's already configured how you like and it's clean...go for the used one...but don't offer more than $12K for it. The dealer will say there are accessories on it, so you don't have to add them....well, dealers don't pay any extra money for the accessories. He's had the new 2013's sitting in his showroom for two years, I doubt he wants to loose an interested buyer to rid the used 2013 Deluxe. I say why spend $3K more plus the cost of accessories when all you are saving is the cost of the warranty and the 7K miles. Honda does offer extended warranty plans you can purchase.
    Great info! I really appreciate your insight! I really have no fear of buying the used F6B I looked at. It was spotless from top to bottom (even underneath), and 7K miles for the 1800 engine is nothing. I would really prefer the Deluxe, since I need the passenger seat anyway, and would want a center stand. The self-canceling turn signals are also nice (had those on my last Wing), but aren't a make-or-break deal. Same with the heated grips... I've never had them, so I don't miss them much, and I'm a pretty "fair weather" rider anyway.

I'll probably call tomorrow to negotiate the best price possible on the used one... I'd LOVE to get it for $12K, but I don't know if the dealer will be willing. I'm guessing more like $13K, but even that would save me around $3K from buying the new non-Deluxe F6B and outfitting it the way I'd want. I can always buy the extended warranty for another $500-600 (or ask that the dealer throw it in with the deal, which probably costs them way less than that).

Again, thanks for your advice! Rick