Madstad!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madstad!

Madstad!

Finally got my Madstad installed. So far so good. I had one before on my HD RG, but all adjustments needed tools, this one is nice, knobs make it toolless adjusting.
    Attachment 3170
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Is that an 11 or 13?

Almost wondering how much loss of helmet ventilation one may experience with such a set up, meaning, I usually run with the very top of my helmet in the 'blast' coming over a conventional shield. lotsa top ventilation with not a lot of disturbance/buffetting.

As I understand it, the airflow behind the Madstad is still there, but at a reduced velocity/smoother,,,

Is the air still moving fast enough to have ventilation comparable to what I've described above, or???

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Is that an 11 or 13?

Almost wondering how much loss of helmet ventilation one may experience with such a set up, meaning, I usually run with the very top of my helmet in the 'blast' coming over a conventional shield. lotsa top ventilation with not a lot of disturbance/buffetting.

As I understand it, the airflow behind the Madstad is still there, but at a reduced velocity/smoother,,,

Is the air still moving fast enough to have ventilation comparable to what I've described above, or???
    With the Madstad you can adjust to get any amount of airflow you want over the top of your helmet. Also,of course, open or close helmet vents as desired. Adjust for cold or warm weather rides as the need may be. I really like mine a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    With the Madstad you can adjust to get any amount of airflow you want over the top of your helmet. Also,of course, open or close helmet vents as desired. Adjust for cold or warm weather rides as the need may be. I really like mine a lot.

Yeah mine is the 11". I can drop it down so wind is 1/2 in my face or move it up and wind @ 80mph is 2" over my lid. At the highest adjustment, I still look way over it. Should be perfect for AZ...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Bruce/Chip, thanks for the feedback!

Chip,,, How tall and what inseam? All arrows for me are pointing towards a 15 'stad, but would like to get by with less if possible,,,

Only 6-0 here, but all torso with 30 inseam and a RDL seat that moves me a bit higher,,,,,

I am 5'10'' and slouch, 30 inseam. I wouldn't get the 11" if you u are any taller. I would say to follow what the website says...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

15" in Light Gray ordered.

Worst part of it all,,,, It won't fit under my 1 month old OEM Honda F6B bike cover,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    15" in Light Gray ordered.

Worst part of it all,,,, It won't fit under my 1 month old OEM Honda F6B bike cover,,,
    Don't be at all surprised if you find yourself wanting to change out to the 13" shield. I'm 5'10" and have an 11" shield on the way to compare with my exixting 13". It's due to arrive Dec. 4. I'm going to match that with a 1" higher base plate.

Yes, it was 13,, 15,,, 13,,, 15,,, Picked the 15,,,,

I know how I am,,,, Pretty much a given that I'll end up with a 13 somewhere down the road, but 'chart says', it's wintertime, etc.

I've been know to cut shields down every now and then as well,,,

Keep the info coming! Always nice to hear how others are doing with this system as it's not your average 'shield'!

I have to say it's unfortunate for prospective purchasers of the Madstad windshield system that Madstad has not been able to standardize their F6B product. I spent a lot of time providing feedback to Mark on this subject but it's clear not all of that sank in or we simply disagree on certain points. I know it's Marks product but on the other hand I am actually riding with it every day. I hope as you guys get your shields installed and ride them that we can continue to compare notes to help others considering a purchase.

I hate to beat a dead horse here but the height of the Base Shield has a lot to do with which Outer Shield height will work for you.

First thing Madstad needs to do is standardize on the Base Shield height. So far they have shipped 8", 9" and 10" tall Base Shields to different F6B customers (height measured from the base of the faring gasket to the top of the Base Shield). The standard GL1800 Base Shield height is 10" so I'm confused why they would supply something different for the F6B??? I'm running the 10" Base Shield and think it's the best way to go for reasons given in the past.

Second thing Madstad needs to do is adjust down their recommended Outer Shield heights based on rider heights. Their site currently recommends a 15" Outer Shield height for 6'-2" and taller. I let Mark talk me at 6'-2" into a 16" Outer Shield and that was way too tall. I'm now using the 11" Outer Shield with 10" Base Shield with great success.

In a telephone conversation I had with Mark he expressed his concern that if you adjust the Outer Shield up too high relative to the Base Shield that the overall effectiveness of the windshield to provide the rider calm air is compromised. I think it's this belief on his part that leads him to suggest taller Outer Shield heights? So if you follow the Website guidelines you will likely end up with a windshield that you can barely see over when adjusted down.

I can state for a fact that if you have the 10" Base Shield you can raise the Outer Shield to the Full UP position with no loss of wind protection whatsoever. This was true with the 16" outer shield I received originally and with the 11" Outer Shield I am now using. Point being is if you have the 10" Base Shield, Mark's concern of raising the Outer Shield so high that wind protection is compromised is not valid. So again, I'm confused why Mark is reluctant to standardize on the 10" Base Shield for the F6B when this is their standard for the GL1800 Goldwing???

Also as I have pointed out before the 10" Base Shield provides the maximum range of useful Outer Shield vertical adjustment IMO. I can adjust my Outer Shield so that the top of the Outer Shield ranges anywhere from 11" (Full Down) to 14" (Full Up) above the base of the faring gasket.

With the 8" Base Shield the adjustment range for the same 11" Outer Shield is 9" to 12" above the base of the faring gasket. Problem here is with the Outer Shield adjusted Full Down the bottom of the shield starts to get close to the faring choking off air flow between the Outer Shield and Base Shield. When this happens there has been some evidence of compromised wind protection for the rider.

Looking forward to others comments.