Madstad!

Thread: Madstad!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Maybe u guys are over thinking it.
    Or perhaps using it / trying to make it work like another semi-similar system?

Can't confirm this as 100% fact, but I believe the basic function of the base on a Madstad is structural support for bracket attachment only, not necessarily for wind movement. (Check out the V-strom shields and the Victory shields)

Overall, I believe the sole, basic function of a Madstad is to hold a shield out in front of you while letting air come up behind it,, kinda like holding just one shield out in front of yourself with your hands, tilting it to redirect the air,,,

Firecreek is similar, and also lets air up under, but without the rake kit, it's basically an 'extendable' shield,,,

Here's another thought,,, I spent untold amounts of time w/an adjustable-rake MS Batwing fairing. I had at least 7 different shields for it in all different shapes and sizes, but adjusting the rake was key in smoothing and directing the air. 'Flip' shields will stir the shnit out of the air beyond a certain speed, while plain old 'flat' shields worked best for me and my set up.

BUT,,, shields are like seats,,, one size does not fit all!!!

Looking for additional comments. Running a Cee Bailey 15", want less buffet and noise. 5'11". Noise is less with a 3/4 helmet than a full. I'd rather ride with a full.

Additional comments for the Madstad that is please

Mine came in Wed. Looks like a nice product, but due to weather, bike outside on back patio, never home during daylight,,,, all I have done so far is bolt the robo-brackets to the base,,, Nothing mounted to the bike yet,,,

This afternoon, I'll get the 6 in the garage, get it mounted, but at 40 degrees/cloudy, this Texan won't be doing any 'significant' testing today!!!

After this lil cold snap, there will be plenty of 70 degree days coming up this 'winter'!!!

Scott, which base plate did your get?

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Scott, which base plate did your get?
    Mine came with a base that measures 8" above the edge of the rubber weather-stripping. I like the 'fit/size' of the base on the bike.

Gut instinct is telling me the 15 will probably be too tall,,, Not because I can't see above it, I can by 2-4 inches.. (Set at 60 degrees, full 'down') but more because I'd like to experiment,,, experiment with a 13 set / slid a bit higher,,,,

Got plenty of 'gap' at the 'inlet' now,,, Probably 1 1/2" in the middle,,, more at the outer edges,,, shield is slightly lower than the top of the garnish,,,

Doesn't quite follow the lines of the garnish as close as it could,,,

Still haven't had an opportunity to test/tune...