Cornering Speed and Posture - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cornering Speed and Posture

The most important advice I could offer, is "situational awareness"! Which covers dozens of factors like condition of the pavement, condition of the tires and equipment. Pryor knowledge of the road and the surroundings, side roads, turnouts, mail boxes, traffic, etc. The best way that I can tell you how to find your speed is to: approaching the corner, Turn your head and eyes, to look through (as far as you can see) the corner, move over in the saddle towards the inside of the corner, Be SMOOTH as possible, downshift (engine braking). Toes on the pegs, apply front brake (Only) all the way to the apex if necessary. Drag pegs thought the corner, roll on the gas at the exit. In your helmet, yell "Yee Haw" and look for the next corner!

Find a series of corners that you can practice on to develop the "feel" for the amount of lean you have in the corners. You can use you toe as a feeler in the beginning. With your toe on the peg, as you are thinking you are at max lean, try to touch the pavement with your toe. It will teach you that you can lean the bike over a lot further even after the pegs have touched down. In the flat land, you can get on an interstate clover leaf and spend the day making right hand turns and never leave the clover leaf.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    ( no one will ever say they are not the best bike rider out there )
    Yep. 95% will tell you they are 'above average'!

Thanks for all of the helpful info guys.

Obviously yes I am new, been riding since April. Put 6700 miles on a Suzuki C50 and now have an additional 2200 on the F6B.

My main purpose of this post was to see if the "forward lean" making turning feel more solid was all in my head, which it sounds like is not the case.

Entry speed was more a curiosity than anything else. My comfort level at this stage in my riding is 5-15 over "generally" speaking. I am most definately not going to rush out and hit a 30mph corner at 60mph just because someone here (or anywhere) else says it can be done. Worst case scenario I would crash, best case I would need a new seat because of the permanent pucker mark in the center of mine. I am just not at that point yet. I didn't start riding to be a speed demon, not really in my nature, so pushing to the absolute limit isn't ever really going to be my goal anyhow. That being said I am always up for improving my skills and having them incase I need them so I will finish David's book and then read Keith's.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post

Obviously yes I am new, been riding since April. Put 6700 miles on a Suzuki C50 and now have an additional 2200 on the F6B.

My main purpose of this post was to see if the "forward lean" making turning feel more solid was all in my head, which it sounds like is not the case.

Entry speed was more a curiosity than anything else. My comfort level at this stage in my riding is 5-15 over "generally" speaking. I am most definately not going to rush out and hit a 30mph corner at 60mph just because someone here (or anywhere) else says it can be done. Worst case scenario I would crash, best case I would need a new seat because of the permanent pucker mark in the center of mine. I am just not at that point yet. I didn't start riding to be a speed demon, not really in my nature, so pushing to the absolute limit isn't ever really going to be my goal anyhow. That being said I am always up for improving my skills and having them incase I need them so I will finish David's book and then read Keith's.
    BABY STEPS. Ride at a pace that you are comfortable with, especially in the mountains, it is a different skill set! Totally different from straight and flat! Enjoy your bike.

I understand your question, but all of what has been said rings true. I really don't think about it much any more. I do lean forward and change my riding position when I know I want to ride twisties, or know I am going to be pushing speed, or in heavy traffic. When just cruising around on the interstate I am mostly on the highway pegs, leaned against the back rest listening to the stereo. All the references about you being new, or relatively short in experience were not meant to be derogatory in nature, but rather meant to be as helpful as possible. Most of these guy's here seem to be more than willing to help anyone because most of us have been there and or seen the outcome from those that think they know more than they actually do.
    I hope you have a great time on the F6, and ride safely.
    Jim

F6BPDX,

You can also get the Twist of the Wrist 2 in an actual video with actors and Keith Code walking you through his riding skills test! It is a great companion to the book. All of the information shared so far has been excellent and meant to be a help. Many of us have paid our dues so to speak to the asphalt gods over the years (both good and bad) so as I am an avid believer in "Knowledge is Power" principle. BTW, have you taken either the MSF Riders Safety Course or the GoldWing Riders Course...both excellent teachings for safe and sound riding! The biggest thing that always surprises me in talking to "seasoned" riders is they have no concept of "Counter Steering" and/or the proper "braking techniques" for straight way or curved road riding. It's amazing how many motorcyclists are afraid of using their front brake which provide 65% to 85% of brake power.

Best regards and keep learning!!!

Jim
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. Bama Bagger

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    I understand your question, but all of what has been said rings true. I really don't think about it much any more. I do lean forward and change my riding position when I know I want to ride twisties, or know I am going to be pushing speed, or in heavy traffic. When just cruising around on the interstate I am mostly on the highway pegs, leaned against the back rest listening to the stereo. All the references about you being new, or relatively short in experience were not meant to be derogatory in nature, but rather meant to be as helpful as possible. Most of these guy's here seem to be more than willing to help anyone because most of us have been there and or seen the outcome from those that think they know more than they actually do.
    I hope you have a great time on the F6, and ride safely.
    Jim
    Jim,

I didn't feel that anyone was being unhelpful or harsh on me for being new. I knew full well by posting the question that I didn't have near the experience levels of most here.

I am loving the ride and the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Bagger View Post
    F6BPDX,

You can also get the Twist of the Wrist 2 in an actual video with actors and Keith Code walking you through his riding skills test! It is a great companion to the book. All of the information shared so far has been excellent and meant to be a help. Many of us have paid our dues so to speak to the asphalt gods over the years (both good and bad) so as I am an avid believer in "Knowledge is Power" principle. BTW, have you taken either the MSF Riders Safety Course or the GoldWing Riders Course...both excellent teachings for safe and sound riding! The biggest thing that always surprises me in talking to "seasoned" riders is they have no concept of "Counter Steering" and/or the proper "braking techniques" for straight way or curved road riding. It's amazing how many motorcyclists are afraid of using their front brake which provide 65% to 85% of brake power.

Best regards and keep learning!!!

Jim
    I did take the MSF (Team Oregon) course as it is required to get an endorsement here, and I feel it was worth every penny even if it hadn't been required I would have been glad I had taken it.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Turn your head and eyes,

That's one of my biggest shortcomings / bad self-taught habit's. Not so much that I stare at the front wheel, but I need to look further,,,

This is a little extreme, but the same principals apply, Turn your head and eyes, move over towards the inside of the corner, Down shift, Trail brake (front brake) to the apex, toes on the pegs.

This picture is our new world Champion in Moto GP. His name is Marc Marquez and he is 20 years old. Needless to say, he is the best in the world today.

BTW, he was recorded at 62 degrees of lean angle and no, he didn't crash!