Hot rubber smell after riding in rain

Thread: Hot rubber smell after riding in rain

Hot rubber smell after riding in rain

I have to tell you, the winter up here in Maryland has been MARVELOUS... no snow yet. Hope I didn't just jinx it though...

Got caught in the rain yesterday though; coming back from an event. Got home finally, rolled up my ramp into my shed and parked the F6B. I noticed a hot rubber smell (not burning smell) wafting off of the bike. Never smelled that before.

Was it just the tires being wet and all of that? Have you guys ever smelled such after riding in the rain?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Possibly, depending on how spirited the ride was

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I have to tell you, the winter up here in Maryland has been MARVELOUS... no snow yet. Hope I didn't just jinx it though...

Got caught in the rain yesterday though; coming back from an event. Got home finally, rolled up my ramp into my shed and parked the F6B. I noticed a hot rubber smell (not burning smell) wafting off of the bike. Never smelled that before.

Was it just the tires being wet and all of that? Have you guys ever smelled such after riding in the rain?
    I'm thinking just the warm rubber odor of the tires in the water vapor coming off the bike. Run your bike stationary for 10 minutes outside the shed to try and replicate the smell. Then you'll either have it narrowed down or have to purse it further.

Will , check to see if you ran into a plastic bag on the road.
    Have done it a few times and that is the out come

Will.....inquiring minds want to know.......

With my old Valk I remember a rubber smell after long rides in the rain once I was back in the garage. Never gave it a lot of thought, just figured it was hot wet tires.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Yep... after seeing some responses here and doing some Googling about the matter... it is normal. Just strange that I never noticed it before.

Went all over my bike; nothing out of the ordinary with it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

As I try to think back, which sometimes makes my head hurt , I only recall the smell after rolling in the garage while it was still raining. If I travel through the rain and then ride dry roads home there was no smell.

So I guess the "unsub" hit it right.

Quote:: I'm thinking just the warm rubber odor of the tires in the water vapor coming off the bike.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.