Honda Pacific coast - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda Pacific coast

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

It was conceived as a yuppy bike back in the 80s, kind of like the equivalent of a two-wheeled 3 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6MkkdxjDro

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Framen View Post
    I always thought the Pacific Coast was a beautiful motorcycle.

allen
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    The PC800 was a fun bike. I had one back in the day. Of course, it didn't fit any traditional idea of a motorcycle with that trunk on the back. But it was a pretty good ride. 
    I looked at them a few years ago.... just an older/earlier, smaller version of the F6B concept, imho. A decent 'starter' tourer for the right rider. And here, they qualify for significantly less cost for insurance, with collector status.

C

My father has owned two of them, currently has a 1994 white one. Something to keep in mind - if they aren't stored indoors, the plastic gets brittle and starts to break after all these years.

On a side note, it had no problem beating my VStar 1100 in a race...except from a rolling start to 50 mph.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Pacific Coast

The interesting thing is Honda through surveys ask the public what would be the perfect bike at the time. Twins, less then 1000cc enclosed bike (less washing I guess) etc and developed this mis-size touring commuter ( which tanked in sales) This what the Riders wanted but wouldn't buy.

Former Pacific Coast Rider -- Miss It

I bought a 1996 PC-800 in 1998. 200 miles. Paid $5,000 or so. I put nearly 100,000 miles on mine in 10 years. Hit nearly every state from Florida to Maine and west to Ohio. It was comfy, sporty handling, a strong engine, and a nice tranny. There was a great aftermarket in the late 1990s. People who bought this bike were serious riders who put lots of miles on it, they liked the two saddlebags that opened from the top by raising the rear seat -- called a trunk in Honda's literature. Which was only one of many, many marketing mistakes made by Honda. The thing was an design and engineering exercise designed for car buyers. It was smooth riding perfection and utility in a market that craved sport-bikes and Harley biker style clones. Heck the thing had been wind tunnel tested for high speeds. So it took crosswinds better than any other bike. I rode my thru hurricane force winds twice. Easily. And contrary to what you may have heard Honda did little market research of actual motorcyclists. This thing was going to get cagers to buy. Honda did focus groups with non-riders, who told Honda that they wanted an Accord. Heck the dash looked like an Accord and the body style was curved like one. The rear lights were straight off a car. From the front the bike looked modern, cool. From the side it was kind of friendly. From the rear it was ugly. Bulbous, is that a word? Yeah from the rear it was frugly. Fat. Nonbikers DID love the looks and always asked me what the heck it was. Women seemed to love it and loved riding on the back. BUT too bad car buyers don't buy bikes. Gas prices were low. Harleys and sport bikes ruled. And the PC cost too much. It had a fantastic CD/stereo, self canceling turn signals an expensive wind tunnel tested body, but no M/C style. They put a bike designed to sell to cagers not in an auto dealership, but tried to sell them in motorcycle dealers -- who didn't know what to do with them. So they mostly sat. Honda made the PC for two years then stopped. They discounted prices to rid themselves of inventory. They got a few good reviews though and the parts were pretty much already made.... so... Honda brought them back a couple of years later. When they came back, the price dropped, the stereo/CD changer was dropped. They were marketed as sport-tourers alongside the ST-1100. And they got more great reviews from the likes of Rider/Motorcycle Consumer Reports, and then they sold at a decent pace. There was no mention of the Accord. In 1997 and 1998 the self canceling turn signals were deleted as was the wind tunnel tested front fender. I always said mine was made in the best year, 1996 was before they went to Honda Red, the best color. Mine lasted until I hit an oil patch in 2007.

I had a PC for 2 years loved everything about it but the looks.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I had a PC for 2 years loved everything about it but the looks.

I remember it came out about the same time as a GL1500. Although I bought a new 89' GL1500, I thought they were both ugly.