Long Beach, CA - IMS Show - Nov. 17th-19th 2017 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Beach, CA - IMS Show - Nov. 17th-19th 2017

Ok thanks for the info

Friday night

Just got back from the Friday night opening of the IMS show. The show appears to be shrinking each year with fewer and fewer vendors. Here are some initial comments:

Harley has some 117 CI engines out and were handing out free HD Bluetooth headsets if you signed up to their mailer.

BWM had a K1600B and a Grand America on display. They said the Grand America is targeted for the 3rd quarter of 2018 and is estimated to start @ $26K.

Sat on the new Yamaha tour bike. It is @ 950 lbs wet and is quite wide between the knees. I think I would be bow legged after a long ride on it. It is a good looking bike, but would be too wide for me.

The new Goldwing did not inspire an urge to go out and buy it. I asked the Honda rep why they decreased the storage by 40 liters, cut the rearview mirrors in half and removed the saftely lights from the tour pack. He said it was in response to what Goldwing riders wanted. He said Godwing riders do not use the storage space nor want it. I asked, "what goldwing riders were you talking to?". He said he would pass along the comments on the missing run/turn/brake lights and the small mirrors.

The Goldwing/Bagger version did feel very light off the kickstand (The full wings were on their center stands so I could not get a feel for how light they were). The handlebar and wrist position is very comfortable. You can easily steer to the left and right extremes with out having to strain or lean forward. Wasn't able to hear the stereo. It looks like the passenger can adjust the volume on the rear speakers. There is a control panel on the top of the right saddlebag for the rider.

Harmin did make the GPS system. They said they are trying to work out the details so the owners don't have to go to the dealership to update maps. He said they had some online trip planer to make GPX files, but wasn't sure that Garmin's Basecamp GPX files would be completely compatible.

Spoke to a lady that was sitting on the back of the full wing. She said the back seat was not as comfortable as their current wing. They had a blue full wing that had the clear lower air defectors just back of the radiator vents and the clear plastic hand wings. They look good, but the installation hardware on the radiator deflectors look like an afterthought. It looks like they drilled holes though the deflectors and cowl and screwed them in with silver sheet metal/button head screws.

I spoke to some other wingers that attended the show and they had similar thoughts that Honda took away features they wanted. Some other wingers responded with "well, it is, what it is".

Saw a couple of F6B's in the parking lot (a stock blue and a black one with a bunch of toys on it). The black one had left his aftermarket LED lights on, hopefully his battery was good when he got out of the show.

Some pictures will follow when I get them uploaded.

These are going on EBay from $45 and up that they were handing out.

Hand and lower wind deflectors:

Tall shield:

Passenger Volume Controls:

Rear left bag with speaker kit:

Right Bag:

Inside of trunk:

Handlebar Linkage:

Two up:

Bagger:

Grand America:

Good pictures! Thanks!

This windshield looks HUGE Crikey... you could use theoretically it as an air brake by quickly extending it while coming down from speed...

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post

Tall shield:

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm going to the Minneapolis show in December and good to see what to expect. I for one am very excited about the new Goldwing. I don't mind it being smaller since I always ride solo and I can strap anything I need on the back seat or luggage rack. Did you like the new Goldwings better than the Grand America? I have a K1600B and love it, but expect to love the new wing even more.

Talked with a vender that will be working the Mpls show and there not certain that the new Wings will be at Mpls show.😡

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    ... Did you like the new Goldwings better than the Grand America? I have a K1600B and love it, but expect to love the new wing even more.
    The leg/foot position is a bit cramped for me on the K1600B and Grand America. So is the F6B for that matter, thus the reason I bought lowered boards before I got it home. It seems both the Goldwings and Grand America have limited storage, but I like the idea of 7 gallon fuel tank and 160HP on the BMWs. The BMW's also have some vertical adjustment on the handlebars if you don't get the forged ones.

It is a tough question to answer, I would have to ride both two-up, but am not compelled to buy either at the movement because neither fit my wish list. Will have to wait and see what the aftermarket brings to both to address some issues.

The gal at the show said she gets @ 39MPG on her K1600B. What do you get on yours ?

I'm getting similar, 37-40 mpg.

I made it to the show today and the first place I went was to the GW and I liked it. But I didn't fall in love with it like in 2012 when I fell in love with the F6B. It was kind of funny that I knew more about the new bike then the sales guy... I knew more then he did
    He was asking me questions... (I have all the specks on the bike) I'm going to buy the Base GW with a couple of upgrades and I'm getting the DCT model. Also found out that the DCT model can come with a FOOT shifter for the Sports model (at an extra cost $600+) But for me this with work out great for me because I ride it like I stole . I want to say that the taller rides have more leg room the bike does feel lighter a more easer to ride. I'm still short and already knowing that I have to lower the bike some how.....
    I still love and will miss my 2013 F6B =(
    Hook

Circle-5
    Went there today (Sunday). Good show – all the brands were there except Triumph. Honda had some nice printed brochures for the 2018 GW, with some good feature comparison tables and paint color swatches. There are six colors including one two-tone. The 2018 GW attracted much attention, and yes, the Tour windscreen is unbelievably tall in its raised position – higher than the top of my helmet (I'm 6-ft.) I'm sure there's an explanation for that feature ...

I also took a test ride on the BMW K1600B. Coming off the F6B, it takes some getting used to. The CG is much higher and I could not get enough torque below 3000rpm. There is also a noticeable lag in the electronic throttle. I know it's just a matter of putting some miles on it to get used to these issues, like any other bike. I did enjoy the ability to switch gears without squeezing the clutch lever, in addition to the large gear indicator (which is essential). Overall, I'd say the K16 engine is amazing, except it always begs you to ride faster. This is a sports bike disguised as a tourer. Aesthetics are subjective, but I like the 2018 GW much better. For that matter, I like my "old" F6B even more.

Hook don't waste your money on the foot shifter. As a DCT owner, CTX700, I'm telling you, you won't miss it after a couple of rides. You'll reach for the clutch lever then go, "oh never mind".
    I was at the show Sat and Sun and stopped by the wings to drool many times. I noticed that some of the reps were better clued in then others. Found out some were factory reps and others were local dealer reps but all were wearing the same uniform. Non of the reps I talked to had ridden a DCT so I was answering their questions.
    They are using the same combination type alternator/starter that GM and Ford use for their idle shut off vehicles. They say this engine does not have the characteristic Goldwing whine. The tour goes up on the center stand much easier than the current gen. The handle bars are a one piece forged unit that are not adjustable in any way. There are 4 windshields available that are interchangeable. The LED headlights leave a ton of room between the nose and suspension. The Honda CB will interface with the Bluetooth and will be available for both. Rear tire is a 200/50/16. The one question I didn't get answered is if it multiport or throttle body fuel injection. I think its multiport but not sure. Reverse will not come on the manual 6spd Goldwing, but will be on the Goldwing Tour with manual 6spd and both with DCT. Pricing 26k for the basic Goldwing to 31k for the fully optioned Goldwing Tour w/airbag. There are other accessories that add on from there, CB being one of them.

One interesting note. I was asked by the factory rep and also heard him asking others, "if we made a tadpole style bike would you buy one?"
    Honda will never produce a factory trike because of the ATC lawsuits. But they are losing Goldwing faithful to CanAm spiders and Slingshots as they age out of two wheels like crazy.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red