Rune? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rune?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    What is the benefit of the Rune's complicated front fork setup?
    Good looks and personality!

Actually it is supposed to eliminate/lower nose dive under breaking, but it's really Honda showing off that they can do anything.

I really like that black Rune with black wheels, first black wheels on a Rune I have seen so far. Nice job!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    What is the benefit of the Rune's complicated front fork setup?
    LOOKS!!!
    The trailing bottom link forks gives the front end the impression of being very heavily raked...almost chopper style...while in actual fact retaining almost conventional steering geometry. The fork is a mass of forgings, bushes, bearings and dampers with 3.5" of travel while the rear is supported by a Pro-Link rear suspension. The Dual 330mm front and single rear 336mm brake discs are also the largest ever fitted to a production Honda and do a great job of slowing this monster down.
    The Rune is no CBR600 – but it is a million times better than a custom cruiser which is amazing for a bike that is just 27 inches from the floor to the saddle and is nearly seven feet long and weighs in at an eye-watering 850 lbs.
    The only downside is that repair costs are horrendous. Each Rune left the American Honda Plant at Marysville, Ohio, costing the company a reported $100,000 and sold for just a quarter of that price. Honda has got to get its money back somehow and therefore repairing a Rune is never going to be a cheap exercise and why I buy all the spare parts I can find within reason.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Good looks and personality!

Actually it is supposed to eliminate/lower nose dive under breaking, but it's really Honda showing off that they can do anything.

I really like that black Rune with black wheels, first black wheels on a Rune I have seen so far. Nice job!
    I have to correct you on that one as it is not like the Ural front end that rises when the front brake is applied which are leading link forks. A leading link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point rear of the wheel axle.

The Rune is a trailing bottom link fork and goes down when the front brake is applied. A trailing link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point forward of the wheel axle. Most famously used by Indian Motorcycle, it was also used by BMW for its early bikes.

If ya like the black wheels on that one you are going to love the one I have been working on for a while, its wheels are all powder coated black with a black frame and paint and chrome or buffed SS no other color on the bike even the brake line bolts are SS

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I have to correct you on that one as it is not like the Ural front end that rises when the front brake is applied which are leading link forks. A leading link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point rear of the wheel axle.

The Rune is a trailing bottom link fork and goes down when the front brake is applied. A trailing link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point forward of the wheel axle. Most famously used by Indian Motorcycle, it was also used by BMW for its early bikes.

If ya like the black wheels on that one you are going to love the one I have been working on for a while, its wheels are all powder coated black with a black frame and paint and chrome or buffed SS no other color on the bike even the brake line bolts are SS

Well, I think you definitely have more knowledge than me on Runes, so I accept your explanation. My limited knowledge comes from reading about it and having ridden it numerous times but never owning one.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your new creation!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I'm a confessed Rune addict.

Larry .... Me toooo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I was in love with only one...I am a loyal kinda guy..... So much so, I have been marked, for life!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Larry..I didnt know you bought my friends black rune (first one)..That used to belong to Eric Kidd and we both have alot of wrench time on that one...I know he sold it to someone in Salinas that owned a restaurant?
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the explanation, BIGLRY.

It oughta be a crime to have this much fun on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by hgslayr View Post
    Larry..I didnt know you bought my friends black rune (first one)..That used to belong to Eric Kidd and we both have alot of wrench time on that one...I know he sold it to someone in Salinas that owned a restaurant?
    Correct, an Italian restaurant in Salinas, he wanted to build a new room on his beach house in Carmel, but his wife said no way unless he sold one of his toys (ski boat or Rune) so since he was scared of the Rune and had only put a few miles on it the Rune was sold to me.
    I got the Rune for $8K, it had some issues with the wiring & throttle housing which I rewired and replaced and all was good(that is when I found out how much it really cost for Rune parts). It is now in Clovis CA with a good friend who rides it to the bike nights and local events. The grips & turns have been all put back to OEM. I got a lot of great ideas off some of the mods done to that one for the one I've been building for a few years now.