Damn helmet selection too many! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn helmet selection too many!

I want to thank opas ride, 1951vbs, scotrod, Jkelley, Hornblower, Mustangjake, and Gonzo for replying to my thread on helmets. I guess what I will do is wait until Christmas is over and see if any of the big vendors put some of their inventory on sale. I am going to go to one of the big gear stores, as suggested, and try on a variety of helmets. I plan on purchasing the one that fits and feels the best on my melon. Hopefully, it won't be one of the $600 variety. Again, thanks everyone!!!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    As mentioned before, lotsa variation between manufacturers on sizing.

Last weekend,,, found out I can slip on a 2XL Shoei Quest easily, but a 3XL Icon Armada will not begin to pass over my cranium without a full head shave and ear removal!

Try on as many as possible, and don't feel shy about wearing em around the store for a while.

Sales:

Eh, many top brands have MAP policies. (Minimum advertised pricing) Typically, 'sale' or not, the price in an advertisement cannot be listed lower than MAP, UNLESS it's a closeout/discontinued model.

10% below MSRP is where a lot of the MAP prices run.

Also remember, advertised pricing and 'asking a Vendor for the best price' are 2 different things.My wife got a current model Shoei at a local Honda dealer who gave her 15% off MSRP that way.

We'll my SHOEI RJ Platinum-R Matte Black 3XL showed up today and it fit
    Ok he's done

Quote Originally Posted by Mustangjake View Post
    We'll my SHOEI RJ Platinum-R Matte Black 3XL showed up today and it fit
    Any plans for a visor/shield for the new R?

I just use a visor in the summer put u can replace it for winter. I have a carbon 1/2 that I been using with my electric glide and when I bought the F6b I seen its short comings.
    And because I have used a 3/4 for 45 years I just felt safer I think.
    Ok he's done

Man, some of you dudes got some big old heads, talkin 2XL and 3XL. I have been trying on medium and large helmets, starting to feel like a small headed creature out of beetlejuice. Seriously, thanks again for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustangjake View Post
    I just use a visor in the summer put u can replace it for winter. :
    I pulled the shield off my JCruise and ran with just the drop down visor. (11 inch Bagger-shield on bike). Seemed to be a great combination.

Having some noise issues with the JCruise with it's shield installed/lowered under same conditions. (Thundering noise)

Sounds strange, I know (Adjusted/sealed,,, just keeps coming,,, Might be a side-effect of me head-butting a semi with it last spring )

So,,, After riding with 'just' the drop down on the J-Cruise (and liking the breeze!) I've been thinking about the Platinum RJ with a 'simple' snap on eye protection.

Hmmmm

Helmets

Lucky you have a choice. My fire department went to a different fire helmet years ago. They had to special order a helmet for me, my brother and another well crowned fire fighter. I have a hard time finding a helmet to fit. Mostly I wear my 1/2 helmet.

No wonder they call me bucket head.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob1 View Post
    Man, some of you dudes got some big old heads, talkin 2XL and 3XL. I have been trying on medium and large helmets
    Consider yourself lucky as you have A LOT MORE choices than us 3X'ers,,,!!!! Hard enough to find anything to fit, and forget about any 'cool' colors or graphics,,, It's black, silver or white. (If you're lucky)

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Consider yourself lucky as you have A LOT MORE choices than us 3X'ers,,,!!!! Hard enough to find anything to fit, and forget about any 'cool' colors or graphics,,, It's black, silver or white. (If you're lucky)

Scotrod, I found one that would work with your little bike and with your crotch rocket.
    Just let me borrow it when you're done ---------- We big boys need to stick together

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.