Automatic Lane Change Feature
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Lane Change Feature

Automatic Lane Change Feature

Didn't know I had one....

I usually check the weather before heading out on a ride of any distance. Yesterday's was going to take me about 125 miles RT so I should have checked.

All was calm when I left the house but a little over half way to my destination there it was. A temporary road side sign lit up with the warning "Gusty Winds Ahead".

Ok fine. A little breezy through that stretch most days anyway.

Gusts got stronger as I progressed. I hit an exposed overpass doing about 72 mph.

I was in the fast lane...then I wasn't. It was if this giant hand gently pushed my bike over a full lane to the right.

I had just thumbed the turn signal to change lanes to the right when the Automatic Lane Change occurred.

High winds have hit me before but never to the extent that this gust had. Before this "ALC" happened I was thinking I'd ride it out then exit the freeway if need be then cut across on a surface road. After the unexpected lane change it was not a matter of waiting but rather where was the next exit.

Got off and being stubborn I did indeed make it to the store with a now somewhat blocked crosswind.

After parking the bike so that wind was pushing it to the kickstand side I went inside the store.

Reaching inside my pocket I dug out my phone and hit the weather app. Where I was (San Bernardino, CA) it said the current wind speed was 32mph. At the point my bike made it's Automatic Lane Change the app told me the wind there was 39 mph.

So... the moral of the story is: Always check the weather where you are going as well as the weather along the path there. Also our 6's are big and heavy but getting broadsided by 39 mph winds with even higher gusts will be effected and can catch the wind like a sail.

P.S. Took an alternate way home where the wind was to my back until it died down enough to head back with a greatly diminished crosswind.

"ALC" - I'll have to make sure that isn't my invoice. I hope I didn't pay extra for it....

Glad you are safe. 40 knot winds will move things about. The Santa Ana winds used to get my UNDIVIDED attention riding my '81 Wing around the El Toro area 20 some years ago.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Where I live during the summer the winds can be brutal. I HATE side winds, but love a tailwind. Be safe out there.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    Where I live during the summer the winds can be brutal. I HATE side winds, but love a tailwind. Be safe out there.
    Rode "due North" from Glacier Nat'l Park through Alberta's flatlands in late June. Side winds were UN-believable.

Glad to hear you remained upright. Just out of interest is your bike fitted with a belly pan?

I have had that happen to me several times over the years. The worst times were when I was driving my 27000 pound diesel pusher motorhome. Now that will really get your attention!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Glad to hear you remained upright. Just out of interest is your bike fitted with a belly pan?
    No belly pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
    I have had that happen to me several times over the years. The worst times were when I was driving my 27000 pound diesel pusher motorhome. Now that will really get your attention!
    I was east bound on the 210 here in Southern California. Every year or two some tractor trailers get pushed over in this area.

My thought was if they could get pushed over I might end up like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz! .

" Been there-done that "... and yes it will make you pay attention !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Yeah, wind is a brutal thing, rode over the Mackinac Bridge early this year, think I drove the whole span at a 45-degree angle.
    It'll get the adrenalin working!