Looking for a 3rd bike???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 3rd bike????

FZ-1 is an awesome bike, you can easily add Givi bags , owned a 07 and loved it, no problems whatsoever

Concours 14

I had a 2012 Concours prior to the FB. I LOVED that bike! I rode it across the country a couple of times. It is a pure pleasure to ride. Comfortable for touring (a little more spacious than the FJ), but coupled with an amazing engine. The gearbox is the smoothest I've ever ridden. Exceptional power and good handling. There was absolutely no reason for me to trade it other than the itch to do so. I would buy another one without hesitation. Attachment 20673

I had 2 FZ-1's. A 2001 and a 2003. I kick myself for getting rid of them. As was mentioned, a custom seat (I had a Corbin), a decent windscreen, and some Givi luggage made it a perfect bike. There's an Okie gal that put over 200,000 miles on her FZ-1. She reached that milestone in 2012 after owning the bike for 11 years. I don't know if she is still riding it but she certainly got her money's worth out of that bike.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-woma...rticle/3661565

http://fz1grl.net/

Steve, I'm going to throw a bit of a curve ball out at ya.

Would you consider something in the 400-650cc range like a Yamaha T-MAX or other form of maxi-scooter like a Suzuki Burgman?

We can all agree it's gonna be hard to match the grace, power and ride of the B, so why not try a less powerful bike that serves another purpose? The T-MAX for example would economical as hell, great for errands and other short rides where the B or any other bigger block engine would be overkill.

I test road the 2014 FJR 1300. Great bike, had most everything I would want on a sport tourer. Also tested the Kawi Concourse. Got the F6 instead. The 2016 FJR, now is a 6 speed, and has many improvements over the 2014. It's a great looking machine. I won't ride one, because I know I would want one. I guess a person can never have too many cycles! Good choice!

The more I think about it I really want something lighter for the twisties and a change now and then. I feel like the FJR1300 being so expensive is too much like the F6B. I really like the look of that FJ-09. It seems like its riding position is much better than the FZ1, bigger tank, and other touring type features. I always loved the demo days with the FZ1 but it was just a little too much pressure leaning over the bars. If the FJ-09 solves that and I think it is supposed to have similar power to the FZ1 but I don't know. I also want to see more about the new FZ1 which I think has the motor based on the current R1 re-tuned for lower end power.

These are all fantasies for now. Hopefully in the next few years when I am ready the new bike (sure I will be) the hype for these will be over and I can get a used one cheaper.
    Steve

I love my FZ1 for spirited rides, but I could never get comfortable for those 200+ mile days. The power and speed were addicting, but could not get used to a high revving bike. Seemed wrong to be riding around at 5k plus all the time.

Bought the FB6 and kept the Fz for weekend fun, but found I never road it.
    So selling it this summer.

Let me tell you about my 2nd ride

It is a 06 Harley Street Rod---not a VRod---but a Street Rod. It is a version that is not very popular but is very versitle. I had never heard of it until I started my research and discovered it was what I wanted. They were made it 06 and 07 and are very reasonably priced for what you get. It can be classified as a "Gentleman's Sport bike". It is a bit heavy and firmly planted on the asphalt. The power is more than the standard VRod and it is very close to maintenance free---especially for Harley. Very dependable and red lines at 9K RPM. Mid position controls and pegs give it a bit of a sport tourer feel, but it has the handling and power of a crotch rocket. Add that to the cool VRod looks and I love it. JMHO of course.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well the reading about the Yamaha FJ-09 got the best of me. I went to the dealer today and they let me test ride one. (I have no intention of buying a new bike or now)

Below are my initial impressions

Sitting on the bike:
    The bike is tall for me (5' 8") Tip toes for me. The ergonomics do not feel much better than sitting on the FZ-09 accept it is taller. Handlebars are slightly too far forward / seat not good.

The ride: (They let me go 2 miles down the road and turn around / Yee Haa)
    The bike is wind machine / Hard to get past the wind / It pulls amazingly powerful / would wheely with little effort or by accident like my 919 did / power / power / probably handles nice

Summary:

If you could get the windshield figured out so you can think while riding the bike the it would be a very fun curvy road fun 2nd bike. This bike is not as comfortable as I would like for a Sports Tourer. I think the FJR1300 would be much nicer with similar power a lot higher price. I am over the initial lust for this bike. Someday they will make a comfortable bike with this kind of power and handling. I think the closest I have ridden is the Ducati Diavel. Bottom line I am not going to run out and get this bike.

What I learned:
    The tripple is a very stong engine with lower and mid power greater than the inline 4 engine. I was told this by the salesman at the dealer. I don't get the opportunity to test the big sport engines very often. But it seemed super powered if you let it open up.
    Steve

FJ 1200

I rode a FJ-1200 for about five years and as I got older and stiffer the bike became more and more uncomfortable.
    The bike was almost not drive able on the street, too finicky on gear selection and too twitchy on the throttle.
    Going fast was not as important as being comfortable.
    My favorite riding accessory is my LADY.
    I do not care how nice the bike is, I enjoy it more when she is with me.