windshield, aesthetics vs function

Thread: windshield, aesthetics vs function

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Eagerly awaiting results

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    I decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!
    Hey Doubleh, did you receive and install the 13 inch shield yet? I'm really wanting to order, was gonna order the 11" until I read your post. Did you stay with the dark smoke, and are you still looking "over" the shield? Waiting to pull the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache1 View Post
    Hey Doubleh, did you receive and install the 13 inch shield yet? I'm really wanting to order, was gonna order the 11" until I read your post. Did you stay with the dark smoke, and are you still looking "over" the shield? Waiting to pull the trigger!
    Yes, I received the Extra Dark Gray 13" shield, installed it, and at its lowest position it was too much of a problem for me to see over clearly. After riding for 20 minutes, my vision was fatigued. I'm shipping it back tomorrow. I then installed the "stock" windshield and headed towards the highway. On the way, doing 20-30MPH I felt like I was doing 100-MPH due to the shield throwing the wind directly into my face. I immediately returned home and put the Extra Dark Gray 11" back on, which I can see over clearly, and I will continue to adjust it until I find a happy medium. I think I was just expecting much too much from the MadStad, because the Klock Werks buffeting is unbearable and the "stock" shield just directs the wind into your face. Even though I had complained about the wind being at my ear level, there was no buffeting like the KW. I actually think it's the cross winds on the highway I'm testing on. I need to take a nice long ride elsewhere with the 11" and adjust from there.

I have a 19" Slipstreamer shield on mine with the adjustable vent. I am 5' 11" and really like the pocket of no turbulent air I am in. Yes the top of the windscreen is partially in my line of vision, but I have learned to adjust accordingly and it has paid off greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by gfnk106 View Post
    I have a 19" Slipstreamer shield on mine with the adjustable vent. I am 5' 11" and really like the pocket of no turbulent air I am in. Yes the top of the windscreen is partially in my line of vision, but I have learned to adjust accordingly and it has paid off greatly.
    +1 There's no wind noise and I can have my shield completely raised on my full face helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls.Ride View Post
    +1 There's no wind noise and I can have my shield completely raised on my full face helmet.
    I know. Isn't it nice!

Couple of weeks ago I went up to Lake George, then from there, over to Vermont for a 500+mi ride (over 2-days). This was the first trip I took outside of riding with the 11" MadStad on my local highway. I'm happy to report that the 11" MadStad was nothing short of performing excellent at doing its job, and I'm totally done with my search for windshields!