Steelmate TPMS question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelmate TPMS question

The main reason that I got a TPMS was because of the run flat car tire I mounted last summer. I'm more concerned with watching the tire pressure of it as it gets warmed up; because I am new to the Dark Side of things. And since it's a run flat, I may have no idea that it lost air at all while I'm underway....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

An update for anyone interested..

I changed the battery in the rear sending unit and no change, so I swapped rear units from my other Motorcycle and reprogramed them to each bike. Still no change.

The front will update as I roll the bike out of the garage. It should be quick as it is close the readout receiver. BUT the rear still takes 2 to 3 miles before it updates. This only happens on the F6B, my 78 Wing rear readout is also slow to react but not miles like the F6B.
    I called Steelmate USA in California but they do not sell this system and have no tech support for it.

I suppose I will live with it for now as I feel it is just a weak system but probably will change systems before to long..
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

The Garmin tire pressure monitors also do not transmit until the tire rolls. Additionally the rear is also slower to respond to the readout on the GPS unit.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I changed the battery in the rear sending unit and no change, so I swapped rear units from my other Motorcycle and reprogramed them to each bike. Still no change.

The front will update as I roll the bike out of the garage. It should be quick as it is close the readout receiver. BUT the rear still takes 2 to 3 miles before it updates. This only happens on the F6B, my 78 Wing rear readout is also slow to react but not miles like the F6B.
    I called Steelmate USA in California but they do not sell this system and have no tech support for it.

I suppose I will live with it for now as I feel it is just a weak system but probably will change systems before to long..
    Thanks for the update.

I'll have to pay more attention to mine and see how long it takes to get a new reading. I'll let you know ...

Antennas are funny magical things and not my expertise. But, I would guess that the power wiring of the receiver plays a part in the reception.

Wrapping/spiralling a wire around and along the power wires (not physically electrically connected) and then running it towards the rear of the bike might aid in the reception of the rear transmitter. Just a wag, and a pita, but a thought ...

Edit: My wiring is easily available. I may give this a try and see if it helps in the next couple of days ...
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    The Garmin tire pressure monitors also do not transmit until the tire rolls. Additionally the rear is also slower to respond to the readout on the GPS unit.
    Thanks for the added info, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Thanks for the update.

I'll have to pay more attention to mine and see how long it takes to get a new reading. I'll let you know ......
    I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue ??

I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue ??
    No useful news on this TPMS. I've been watching and lately, the rear sensor sends a signal while I am backing down the driveway. In fact, before the front sensor sends its signal.

I know at times, one or both of them have been very slow about reacting. Something must move in the sensor when the tire spins. Maybe it is moving easier now that it is hot outside.

I'll keep monitoring and see what happens. When I need new batteries, I'll have a good look inside and see what is going on in there.

As a quick and interesting test, you could swap front and rear sensors without reprogramming them and see what happens ...
    Albuquerque, NM

No useful news on this TPMS. As a quick and interesting test, you could swap front and rear sensors without reprogramming them and see what happens ...

As an update
    A new battery did not help...

I have a second Steelmate TPMS unit on my old 78 GL1000 and so I swapped the rear sensors and it made no difference in time to update, although both units seem to work quicker on the Old Wing then on the F6B.

Now it could be the F6B has more electronics on it or it has to do with the position of the receiver. On my Old Wing the receiver is mounted up on the Handlebars but on the F6B the receiver is mounted down in the tunnel along side where the Right Handlebar mounts.

As an update
    A new battery did not help...

I have a second Steelmate TPMS unit on my old 78 GL1000 and so I swapped the rear sensors and it made no difference in time to update, although both units seem to work quicker on the Old Wing then on the F6B.

Now it could be the F6B has more electronics on it or it has to do with the position of the receiver. On my Old Wing the receiver is mounted up on the Handlebars but on the F6B the receiver is mounted down in the tunnel along side where the Right Handlebar mounts.
    I understand what you have already done and are about through with this. But ---- swapping the front and rear without reprogramming would be an easy test. And there would be no other variables to deal with. What if both of the sensors you put on the rear are not exactly the same/as good as on the front? If you would humor me, I'd like to know the outcome.
    Albuquerque, NM

I understand what you have already done and are about through with this. But ---- swapping the front and rear without reprogramming would be an easy test. And there would be no other variables to deal with. What if both of the sensors you put on the rear are not exactly the same/as good as on the front? If you would humor me, I'd like to know the outcome.

I will give it a shot this weekend.
    I have to replace the Front Brake Pads and will be rolling around on a creeper anyway...