Madstad for F6B - Page 18
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Appears from your measurements Madstad still can't accurately reference Base height relative to the faring gasket? I had hoped your wife's shield kit would include the same Base as I have so you could ride both. Guess I have a One-Off and we are unlikely to get a direct comparison from anyone?

When I ordered mine, I told them specifically the base I wanted. I didn't get what I ordered, it appears. Today is the first time I put a tape to it, and my base is 1" shorter than yours. It works well for me, but now I'm wondering how much better it might be if I had gotten the base that I ordered, based on d-sharks informational posts. I too had a base that was slightly off on the drilled holes, made it work, but can't understand how they could let this happen. I am totally satisfied with the performance, but these other issues: getting what you ordered, and drilled holes, shouldn't be an issue. Come on Madstad, you guys claim to be engineers, get it together.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    FWIW, Here's mine:
    Attachment 3755

Wife is VERY happy with her 'Stad. She really likes the big reduction in wind noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    FWIW, Here's mine:
    Attachment 3755

Wife is VERY happy with her 'Stad. She really likes the big reduction in wind noise.
    Identical to mine. And I am assuming this is the "medium height" that Bruce referenced, which to Madstads credit IS bigger than what they originally shipped. It just isn't as tall as I asked for.

FWIW, Here's mine:
    Attachment 3755

That's the same measurement I got, and since it works so well, I won't request a taller base.

As 'harsh' as it sounds, unless someone has tested different height bases on the same bike under identical conditions, who really knows that there is a quantifiable difference?

And when would that difference come into play?

Example,,, Bruce, I believe, is the only one (I think) who went to a base ~1~ inch taller than what he originally had,,, All the rest of us, I believe, are running the same height base we have always had.

And, just using Bruce as an example, what base he likes the best may not be the base that works for someone taller/smaller/wider - whatever.

I'm sure that a base 'several inches' higher would have some different characteristics than another, but unless I'm mistaken, there is no more than about ~1 1/4~ inch difference in height between the all the F6B bases currently in use. Those like mine, ~8~ inches of exposed base from top of shield to top of rubber strip or the one like Dshark w/ ~9 1/4~ inches of exposed base from top of shield to top of rubber strip (10 to bottom of strip)

Anybody with less or more?

As 'harsh' as it sounds, unless someone has tested different height bases on the same bike under identical conditions, who really knows that there is a quantifiable difference?

And when would that difference come into play?

Example,,, Bruce, I believe, is the only one (I think) who went to a base ~1~ inch taller than what he originally had,,, All the rest of us, I believe, are running the same height base we have always had.

And, just using Bruce as an example, what base he likes the best may not be the base that works for someone taller/smaller/wider - whatever.

I'm sure that a base 'several inches' higher would have some different characteristics than another, but unless I'm mistaken, there is no more than about ~1 1/4~ inch difference in height between the all the F6B bases currently in use. Those like mine, ~8~ inches of exposed base from top of shield to top of rubber strip or the one like Dshark w/ ~9 1/4~ inches of exposed base from top of shield to top of rubber strip (10 to bottom of strip)

Anybody with less or more?
    I think you are correct that Bruce is the only one to try both. Also the initial difference was over 2", the base we have now must be the mid height since as you said it's only 1" different.

I do think it will wind up being a non issue, but what isn't a non issue is the ability to fulfill client orders with what they requested/ordered. If Madstad is going to allow special requests then they need to deliver, and at a minimum they need to know what they are shipping.

I realize they dont have an F6B for testing but they have sold enough at this point to have accurate measurements from clients. All they had to do was cross reference their measurements with what Bruce and d-shark had to know what a 10" or 8" was.

Personal opinion on base heights. The base height probably isn't all that important, as long as it's high enough so that your windshield, adjusted to your preference, has plenty of space at the bottom to allow adequate airflow between it and the base. I suspect that Madstad could supply the 9 or 10 inch base exclusively and things would be just fine. Rode behind my Madstad on Saturday in temps starting at 37 and going to 70 degrees by the afternoon. Comfort all the way.

So it seems after doing a few test runs and riding around yesterday the base plate is going to be fine (no surprise to anyone really). Also I think the 13" shield is going to be my sizing of choice. I had them ship both the 11 and the 13 and ran the 11 first. I could make it work fine by having it at 60deg and about 3/4" -1" from full up, however this seemed to let a bit of air turbulence hit me in the shoulders since there were gaps formed between the bottom of the top shield and the base. By going to the 13" it allows me to run it about 1" from full down and that turbulence is gone. Riding at freeway speeds behind the Madstad really is amazing.

I do have a "glitch" that nobody here had mentioned which is a whistle at about 50mph and faster. I thought it was possibly air rushing past the bracket holes but after some online research it seems to be air rushing between the base and the fairing. I have some of the compressible foam weather stripping on the way which should fix the issue.

Overall I am quite happy, and am looking forward to putting lots of miles behind this setup.

"I do have a "glitch" that nobody here had mentioned which is a whistle at about 50mph and faster. I thought it was possibly air rushing past the bracket holes but after some online research it seems to be air rushing between the base and the fairing. I have some of the compressible foam weather stripping on the way which should fix the issue"

I've got the same whistle, did not notice it, until I rode with my open face helmet. I'll probably do the weatherstrip thing myself, as I went on an extended ride yesterday and noticed the back side of the base was covered in dust from the air coming up between the base and the dash gap. The weatherstrip should eleviate both issues.

Hmm,

Lotsa dust on the back of my base,,, I have tons of weather strip in the closet,,,,

I have a very faint whistle as well, but thought it was my helmet,,,

Hmmm,,,