FJR or F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FJR or F6B

There are endless discussions about which bike is 'better'.

The truth is, they're all good, and it's tough to pick just one.

If you do pick one, it will be a compromise of several factors- speed, comfort, handling.

So, solve the problem and just get 3!
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

From their website.

Attachment 4429

The FJR is a very capable machine.....one of the best bikes I have ever owned....
    a1scoot

I spent 7 hours on a 2015 FJR yesterday. The power is phenomenal. A real discipline tester. I may be adding one of these to the stable soon.....
    The F6B felt like a magic carpet after riding the FJR all day; like I wasn't even in contact with the road. I'm thinking I should ride and FJR while I can, I'll be able to ride a wing for many years to come.
    I'm not parting with my F6B but I am looking to add a 2013+ FJR.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Work bikes a 2016 FJR when on duty, for the cut and thrust of traffic and cornering etc, the FJR rules. Power is great, cruise control is good, the electric screen is as noted, brilliant.
    I did a 500k day on highways the other day, and sadly, no, the the F6 will eat it there.
    I came off the FJR more tired, the 5 speed I rode on the day isn't as nice as the 6 speed 2016 model with the LED lighting.

A real annoying thing with Yamaha is it's ABS activation at very slow speeds, you detect a juddering, admittedly you get used to it but it's there.

For two up, with luggage and SWMBO the F6 is truly the comfort king, I've taken Taxfree4's recommendation with the MRA Xcreen for the adjustability, we have cruise, reverse & ABS over here, so a nice package.

Cornering is great, I have added a superbrace, and I noticed the difference.
    You can load it up and the thing handles beautifully. In the middle of sorting out the suspension still, so I believe once that's done it should improve (just cause we're er.. heavy). Only time I scrape is off camber roundabouts. Scares the hell out of you the first few times.

Power isn't as brutally delivered like the FJR but it just surges ahead effortlessly.

The term 'replacement' would be an issue, I'm considering a second smaller bike to have fun with, and keeping the F6 to go places with my better half.

Got to get your ass on one for a test ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My previous bike was a Concours 14. Many put the C14 and the FJR in the same category. I never considered the C14 as being top-heavy and I imagine you feel the same about the FJR. Once you experience the F6B however, and then go back to the FJR, I'm betting you will be surprised at how top-heavy it feels by comparison. IMHO, the F6B is what it is due to the unusually low CG. There's a very high probability that you will never look back after upgrading to the F6B.
    I had the exact same experience with the ST1300. It never felt top heavy until I got the B. I bought the B before I sold the ST and didn't ride the ST for some time. I rode it again just before I sold it and it was so difficult to ride I thought the tires were low. They weren't. It was just that different from the B.

I traded my ST1300 in on my F6B - now my feet touch the ground!

I rode a 06 FJR and a Concours, each owned for about three years. I really prefer the F6B over both. There is more torque and lower weight on the F6B. The FJR and Concours were both too tall for me (5'6") and 28 inch inseam. I laid both down at low speed too many times, once with my daugher on the back with the FJR. The FJR is smoother, more confortable and easier to ride long distance due to ride and rider position. And its actually easier to pick up the F6B than either of the two lighter bikes -- becaause the two sport/tourers are top heavy. I think if you are short you will like the F6B.

Of the sport tourers, I have ridden a 2007 St1300, a 2014 Concours, and a 2014 FJR. The fjr was my favorite by far. It just felt more together for me, and there are SO many amenities for the price.

I think the biggest thing you'll notice going from that style of bike to what you're thinking about will be the redistribution of weight and force to the rider. When you are in sport tour position, your feet are farther up under your body so the weight of your body and the overall up and down forces are distributed between your butt and your feet. The farther you move your feet out, the more your butt will take the impact of riding. That's why forward control riders get more tailbone pain. The Goldwing/F6b position is a nice balance of both, but still noticeable. When you feel the change, if you are super uncomfortable, don't panic. A good seat fit at the right distance from pegs and bars will likely do the trick. It's doubtful you will feel a lack of performance from the incredibly wide torque band of the B. Slower than the FJR, but still plenty gratifying.

Jason

If not already mentioned, the FJR and the F6B are apples & oranges.
    F6B - heavy cruiser
    FJR - sport tourer
    Different tools for different missions.
    Cheers,
    Steve