car tire, valve stem, balance Q's

Thread: car tire, valve stem, balance Q's

car tire, valve stem, balance Q's

Almost 11K and it's getting time for a new rear tire. I decided on:
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H by Michelin | Item #: 449024 |Model #: 16265 | (44) | (Sams Club)

I'm after the tallest tire that will fit correctly. Is this the right size?

The 90 deg valve stem and cheap plastic support need to go. What is the best short, straight valve stem available? Any problems with this change?

Dyna Beads will be tried for the first time. Should the factory wheel weight be removed?

Thanks in advance.

II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

That is the correct tire size...as close to stock. For valve stems get you a pair of these from wingstuff Since you will be running a RF car tire, you might consider adding TPMS as well.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Correct Tire Size

You have the correct tire size of 195/55-R16 on your Alpine. The tire is a good choice and highly recommended by GL1800 Riders.

Have to laugh at your comment regarding the 90 Degree Stem and cheap plastic support I doubt Mother Honda would install any inferior OEM parts on the F6B, Maybe not liking to some, you can be assured that both the stem/plastic support were thoroughly tested prior to going into production.

Made a suggestion to some F6B Riders about applying a dab of Permatex Gasket Maker to the wheel tit and then installing the plastic support. Those who tried it claim it works great.

Currently have just shy of 20K miles on a General G-Max and the OEM stem/support are securely in place. Same goes for the front wheel where I recently installed a Bridgestone Battlax BT45.

I do all my own "static balancing" and never encountered any issues with "tire thumping". With short bursts of speeds of 100 mph and highway cruising at 75/80 the ride is as smooth as silk

Best of luck with your Alpine. Keep us posted as to its performance

Safe Riding

Streight valve stem?

Thanks for the replies. The valve stem seems to be a critical component and the factory plastic holder with or without a dab of sealer does not inspire confidence. My solution, which may prove wrong, is the installation of a straight valve stem. Elsewhere I saw an GW 1800 rider who used a "short straight stem" off a VTX 1300C. Any recommendations or thoughts on why this might not work out well? Does anyone have the hole size for the valve stem?

Also for those who have used tire balancing beads, did you remove the old lead wheel weight or leave it?
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Remove the weights.