Madstad for F6B - Page 19
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Did what I thought was a very thorough job of adding foam weather stripping but still have a whistle at and above 45-50mph. Maybe I just need to listen to music louder.

Also I have now gone back and forth between the 11" and 13" shields a few times and have come to the conclusion that the 11" actually works best. 1.25" up from full down at 63* puts 99% of the wind over my head. Looks pretty badass too if ya ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Did what I thought was a very thorough job of adding foam weather stripping but still have a whistle at and above 45-50mph. Maybe I just need to listen to music louder.

Also I have now gone back and forth between the 11" and 13" shields a few times and have come to the conclusion that the 11" actually works best. 1.25" up from full down at 63* puts 99% of the wind over my head. Looks pretty badass too if ya ask me.
    I'm glad I read this. I'm tired of popping the front off. Agree with you on everything, especially the BA part. I have the 11" shield.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I believe I'll try sliding a piece of WS down into the slot from above,,, Help with the dusty base scenario.

Also, FWIW, I took the wifes 6 for a short trip to the carwash the other day w/o a helmet. There is a whistle that I could hear at ~20+~ mph.

Started thinkin,,,

About the only thing that looks like it could match the profile of a common whistle may be the Madstad brackets. Slots/holes etc perpendicular to the flow of air,,,

Hmm,,, Might take a shop towel or something and wrap the brackets and 'test' (very briefly) sans helmet,,,

(I'm not a hardcore ATGATT kinda guy, but I'm very much a helmet advocate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Also, FWIW, I took the wifes 6 for a short trip to the carwash the other day w/o a helmet. There is a whistle that I could hear at ~20+~ mph.

Started thinkin,,,

About the only thing that looks like it could match the profile of a common whistle may be the Madstad brackets. Slots/holes etc perpendicular to the flow of air,,,

Hmm,,, Might take a shop towel or something and wrap the brackets and 'test' (very briefly) sans helmet,,,

(I'm not a hardcore ATGATT kinda guy, but I'm very much a helmet advocate.)
    That was my initial thought as well but then research (albeit not F6B specific) led me to the weather stripping info. That doesn't seem to have worked so I am interested to hear if you find that it is the brackets.

Had a little time today so I masking taped over all the holes and slots on the brackets.... still have a whistle.

I did find one thing that worked well though, Arch Enemy's Anthems of Rebellion played loudly made it so there was no whistle.

Some pics of a 15 inch light gray and a 13 inch medium gray:

Attachment 3823

Attachment 3822

Attachment 3821

My questions about this setup or should I say concerns is the width. Is this wide enough to stop shoulder and ear buffeting? Does the wind go up over your head? More so is RAIN. How does this perform in the rain. Looks like you would get blasted in the face with water. Living in Florida and riding daily you get rained on a lot to put it mildly. I've ridden 550 miles with it raining so hard you could hardly see your front wheel. How would this setup perform? Have any of you ridden in the rain with this configuration?.......Dickie

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    My questions about this setup or should I say concerns is the width. Is this wide enough to stop shoulder and ear buffeting? Does the wind go up over your head? More so is RAIN. How does this perform in the rain. Looks like you would get blasted in the face with water. Living in Florida and riding daily you get rained on a lot to put it mildly. I've ridden 550 miles with it raining so hard you could hardly see your front wheel. How would this setup perform? Have any of you ridden in the rain with this configuration?.......Dickie
    Dickie, D-Shark posted this a little earlier. (Looks to answer both the width answer and rain protection):

Just finished a 2,300 mile round trip from IL to FL and back. I was really impressed with the cold weather wind protection offered by my Madstad. I wore a Bell Pit Boss half helmet with zip-in neck curtain that covers the ears and back of the neck. My head was always warm, exposed skin did not get cold (to my surprise) and eyes did not tear from the cold.

On the way down I started off at 28 degrees and rode most of the day in the low 30's, 12 hours total. Last day on the way back started out at 42 degrees and steadily dropped over 9 hours to 19 degrees for the last hour. I had heated grips, Powerlet heated glove liners and heated jacket liner. Hands were always nice and warm with liners and Klim Powercross gortex gloves. At 19 degrees the heated jacket liner kept me warm enough. No heat on the feet which did get chilly due to the 9 hour exposure but not painfully so.

I had plenty of time to take note of where air was moving and where it was not. My 10" Madstad Base is 26 inches wide from edge to edge and I think the extra width of the 10" Base really helps to create a wide swath of calm air. Air is calm well beyond each shoulder to the left and right (and I'm a big guy). Also noted that air was very calm around the hand grips. Wind out by the bar end weights and about 3 inches below the grips but none in the area around the grips where my hands rested.

First day coming back rode through a couple of downpours on the Interstate and the amount of water hitting me in the face was comparable to a traditional windshield that you would be looking over. Did not get a chance to adjust the shield up to where I would be looking through it since I was pushing to make time.

I'm sure we will get more reports from others that ride in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    Living in Portland,OR I am sure I will have answers to this soon. I will report back once I do.