PDA

View Full Version : GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM

tpa
01-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Has anyone out there used the Garmin Zumo 395LM as a GPS solution? Any related recommendations to offer?

2wheelsforme
01-15-2017, 03:51 AM
I'm sure the 395 is a fine unit. However the 395 advantage over the 390 is the "5" means it has Garmin Adventurous Routing installed. I don't think you will be doing dirt roads on the F6B and the 390 is a little less expensive. I use a 590 and really like it but is a good bit more expensive. I did not need the 595.

StonedInNy
01-15-2017, 06:21 AM
The 395 is a great unit. I used to plan my trips on paper maps weeks prior to my trips. Now I just let my Garmin take me where it wants. Set the parameters to no tolls or highways or dirt roads and you should have a great trip. While riding I'll check my gps for curvy roads on the screen and just ride em . The gps will recalculate to your destination you chose.
Also the TPMS is a nice feature as well. If you use a sena or other Bluetooth headset it links up effortlessly. The women's voice gets a bit annoying with all the cautions built in ex...Deer crossing, RR tracks, and speed limit warnings etc. I shut them off except for the speed limit warning.
Although it's a bit expensive for a gps unit the features it has for us motorcyclist I think is worth it. Phone gps will leave you stranded in the mountains.

tpa
01-15-2017, 04:17 PM
thx for the tips - especially re: the 390 vs 395. very helpful. sounds like the 390 has all i need/want. the 595 is just too pricey.

Kitulu
01-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Just out of idle curiosity, is there any way to retrofit the GPS unit from a Goldwing into the F6B?

2wheelsforme
01-17-2017, 07:46 AM
I guess you can do about anything with enough money if you want. The question is why would yo want to? First the opening on the F6B is much smaller, than the GPS opening on the GW and It would then occupy the information display that is currently in that spot so a complete dash change over I would guess is needed. Not to mention the wiring requirements. But the biggest thing is Garmin handlebar mount GPSs are better units than any I know of that come factory mounted, HD included. Also can be upgraded or replaced with ease.

Switchmonkey
01-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Google Maps works great! Why get a GPS?

terryboyle
01-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Has anyone out there used the Garmin Zumo 395LM as a GPS solution? Any related recommendations to offer?

I'm trying out an app called HERE WeGo that was a Nokia piece of mapping software as my GPS solution. It's free, does not need a data connection, reroutes if you detour or make a wrong turn. You download the maps by continent, country or state/province to minimize storage used. Haven't used it for a long trip yet but locally it is doing well. YMMV

DMAGOLDRDR
01-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Google Maps works great! Why get a GPS?

For those of us not smart enough (or foolish depending on how you look at it) to have a smart phone.

I am very happy with my 660 Zumo.

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
A good GPS is as far ahead of a smart phone that a smart phone is ahead of a paper map. All will work to keep you from getting lost and find routes. I use Micro Soft Streets and Maps together with Google Earth on my home computer to plan and route my trip turn by turn. Not what a program suggest as curvy roads but what I choose from looking at Google Earth and every road/turn. Then I rebuild/transfer to Base Camp and download it into my Zumo. E-mailing it or sharing in person via blue tooth to additional riders going on the trip is possible. Additionally if you are shown or find a road you like it is easily saved and can be incorporated into a future trip. The amount of information provided with ease can not be duplicated on the small screen of a phone.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-19-2017, 02:10 PM
A good GPS is as far ahead of a smart phone that a smart phone is ahead of a paper map. All will work to keep you from getting lost and find routes. I use Micro Soft Streets and Maps together with Google Earth on my home computer to plan and route my trip turn by turn. Not what a program suggest as curvy roads but what I choose from looking at Google Earth and every road/turn. Then I rebuild/transfer to Base Camp and download it into my Zumo. E-mailing it or sharing in person via blue tooth to additional riders going on the trip is possible. Additionally if you are shown or find a road you like it is easily saved and can be incorporated into a future trip. The amount of information provided with ease can not be duplicated on the small screen of a phone.

Pretty much what I do as well.
Also I find that type of planning sets the routes into MY memory so if I was to loose the use of my electronic devices to an unforeseen issue I will remember much of the route plan and be able to continue.

olegoat345
01-19-2017, 04:20 PM
I found several rebuilt tom toms (several other brands) on ebay for $69.99. Mine has blue tooth, easy to set up, nice screen, gets me from point A to point B, works great. I have it on a RAM locking mount. If it rains, I take it off or put a zip lock bag & a HD rubber band or 2 to hold the bag. If it gets stolen, wet, dropped or whatever, I'm out $69.99, not 8 or 10x that.
I have 4 gps, counting the 2 OEM in my car & truck. Looks to like they all use the same software. None of them can find the 4 lane from FL. turnpike to 441 -Mt Dora. They all tell me to "turn around when possible" & the screen looks like I'm in the middle of a pasture. Zipping along in a pasture @ 70+ mph, yea right. :)
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Necanefan
01-22-2017, 07:05 PM
I can't give any input yet on the Garmin Zumo 660LM, but I just ordered one from Amazon for $309. I've grown tired of struggling with car GPS units that never seem to stay connected to power as I ride. The cable going into the car GPS units always comes loose on me, or the 12v cig adapters lose contact. I've been using smart phones the last 1-2 years, but I have the same issue, compounded when I lose signal in remote areas. Of course, then there is the rain factor. I take a couple of longer trips each year where 10-12 hours per day on the bike are typical and every time I regret that I didn't purchase a true motorcycle GPS.
I've put off taking the leap for too many years, so I finally pulled the trigger. Although the 660LM is a discontinued unit, there are still new units, complete with mc mounts, wiring and hardware, available with standard factory warranties. Since they are not the latest and greatest model, they come with a more palatable price of around $300. It has the features I want and need. The only feature it doesn't have that I would have liked is the "curvy road" routing option. Outside of that, I think I'll be happy with it. It fits my needs and my means.

-Jeff

Baboone
01-23-2017, 03:21 AM
Hi everybody ..

In France i'm using this kit ... without problem !

Config : Helmet Shoei (I recently got a new one because my old helmet was too tired) + bluetooth kit inside battery include (duration 1 DAY without charge) + support for my cell and for my F6B.

Final cost of .. 900 $ (850€) (include new helmet !)

I take every day my foot with news, music, phone call, GPS, SIRI, take off for pictures, video etc. sound directly in my ears ALWAYS with moderation (except for all little electric blues) or by using HP on the bike ...

No need GPS alone .. Finished ! (I was using before a GPS Tomtom Rider which was not really terrible !)

Whoop's .. excuse me for my poor english !465546562531846574658

lake_carl
01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
The main reason I would like a GPS or smart phone app is to tell me , "hey this road will dead end or turn to gravel or dirt" many of my riding adventures half the day is determined by flip of coins to change direction at every hard surface roads intersection

InvictusF6B
01-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Hi Friends, I've been the very proud owner of a 390 for about two years now an I'm not looking back. I too tried the phone maps and directions but found that when you got away from the city (to all the Good Roads) the phone had a tendency to loose GPS reception. I suppose this is largely due to the Carrier used but I've also heard that GPS's have more access to a wider array of satellites. I find that the biggest befits of the 390 over a phone are having a dedicated mount and power supply, immediate routing to gas stations, the ability to communicate with your Bluetooth rig (normal GPS's do not), Gloved hand operation as well as voice. And the tons of other features that the 390 offers like remembering where you parked or service and maintenance intervals. I know none of this stuff is essential to riding but it sure is convenient to have. You've already got one of the best bikes on the road why not get a great GPS to boot?:icon_biggrin:

Chas
01-24-2017, 08:34 AM
+2 on the 390. I got mine with the Lifetime Maps and as another rider said, haven't looked back since!

Broken Hand
01-24-2017, 07:27 PM
I use Navigon app (Garmin) on my IPhone 6s+. Fits into the info center. Can purchase monthly service as needed. ($5 month or $30 yr or $60 lifetime)

They just added offline maps too.

Hodgey1
02-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Do you know if the Navigon app allows route planning and the ability to avoid dirt roads?

unsub
03-06-2017, 08:00 PM
I don't see avoiding dirt roads under route options. You can choose vehicle type that includes motorcycles. You could try classifying yourself as a truck or a car and that might keep side roads off limits by default.

Regardless of the gps unit try pulling out a road map when planning your gps route and compare the two to ensure you're getting the route you want.

J0k3r
08-09-2017, 05:52 PM
I just purchased the 395LM. I was using my phone with Google Maps. I lost service when I got out in the boonies at which point it left me stranded. Also I find creating routes in Basecamp much easier than Google Maps. I do us Google Maps or Earth in conjunction with it as Basecamp doesn't have a satellite view. Can't wait to get it and give it a try. I'm doing a Saddlesore 1000 over the labor day weekend. Should be a good test of its capabilities and functionality.

crossbowme
08-09-2017, 07:01 PM
For those of us not smart enough (or foolish depending on how you look at it) to have a smart phone.

I am very happy with my 660 Zumo.

I have a 660 and moved it from 3 different bikes in succession. It has done a great job and works pretty good in remote areas also.

JGF6B
08-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Which GPS units have the "curvy roads" options? I'm interested in a good GPS unit but I want to find curvy roads and avoid city centers/traffic lights.

F6B1911
08-09-2017, 08:17 PM
The Garmin's seem to have been price fixed forever, but lately that has changed.
I have the 595LM, it has all of the great features for motorcycle traveling.
$899.95 was way out of my price range, but after a few google searches I found it for $550.00 w/free shipping.

Whatever you decide, do your homework first, there's some good deals if you look around.

choptop
08-10-2017, 08:12 AM
I have had a refurbished 390 for a couple of years now. when I was getting ready to go to the Smoky's I went to base camp, put in my starting point and destination, ran that line from one to the other, hit the configure route and wala, a little bit later I had a route I liked. Now for the return trip I just hit HOME and I was not all that happy w/the route home, but oh well. They are pretty amazing.

olegoat345
08-13-2017, 07:05 AM
reconditioned Tom-Tom off ebay for 70 bucks, ram mount w/ lock, works great, good to go. If somebody steals it, I'm out 70 bucks

xgringo
08-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Here is an interesting video that seems relevant to this thread. I did it to mine some weeks ago and it hasn't effected the operation of my Garmin at all. In fact I have to watch some more of this dude's vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg

2wheelsforme
08-13-2017, 10:18 AM
The curvy roads option is something I never use and really do not see a need for it. The GPS when not following a pre made route is just so I know where I am and what is coming up. Also useful in determining how much time is needed to get to a certain point or even home if you need a plan in a hurry. The main use is making routes beforehand to follow that day. The unit is set on shortest route and I use Base Camp and Google Maps to build the route I want, not one the unit chooses for me. The shaping points I use insures me I'm traveling the roads I found on google earth etc. that I like and the counter helps in timing my arrival where and when I wish, like for lunch at lunch time. If running ahead or behind schedule the pace can be adjusted along the way. Anything from memory, given directions, a paper map, cell phone without help or with a program, cheap GPS to expensive GPS will prob get you where you would like to go but a huge difference how well each one will work. The top of the line units like the 595 while expensive are fantastic and can not be equally compared to a cell phone any more than the phone can be compared to a paper map. Each is better than the other. Almost nothing is completely water proof as even a submarine will implode if it goes deep enough but the Zumos can get totally wet without a problem. The vibration resistance, left hand controls, glove friendly screen along with no rain worries makes the 390/395 and 590/595 the top choices for motorcycle GPS. The built in music, blue tooth ability and the tire monitors are just nice extras. The other Zumos are also great but as said no longer made and some no longer supported by Garmin.