PDA

View Full Version : Body armor

rdeady
01-18-2017, 08:30 AM
What kind of protective gear do you use if Any? My neighbor wears this bohn protective gear ,both pants and the shirt. Didnt even know he had them on. I am ordering some Draggin jeans and probably both these pieces. I do have a jacket with pads but also have a very nice/warm harley jacket that has no real pads. Also have riding pants with pads but they are very bulky so I use only if it's cold enough to tolerate them. And of course almost all my friends are riding Harleys with minimal protection,tee shirts,tiny worthless helmets, etc. https://www.bohn-armor-pants.com

53driver
01-18-2017, 09:23 AM
ATGATT!
Pants: I wear the Duluth Firehose pants. Had a friend take a slide in these off a sportbike and they were scuffed, but not worn through. I was impressed.
Chaps depending upon weather - usually on below 45 degrees.

Jackets: I have a light weight (PokerRun), medium weight (Joe Rocket) and heavy weight (BMG).
I'll always wear one. They all have "some" armor at the elbows, shoulders and back.
I have a great CHP leather jacket (actually is the one manufactured for CHP by San Diego Leather) that I'll wear too.

I don't have any "extra" armor like your link showed, but I'm looking at it now!

And of course, full fingered gloves with extra skid protection on the palms, over the ankle hard boots, and FF helmet.

Cheers,
Steve

DTOM
01-18-2017, 11:28 AM
For pants, I mostly wear the Bilt Iron Workers jeans from Cycle Gear (pads in the knees and some Kevlar in the arse). I like the loose, flexible fit, but I'd like them to be longer so they don't ride up on my boots so much. I also put on some Joe Rocket ballistic pants if it is cooler. Really cold...chaps over jeans. I've been on the road in the 20's and 30's and have never found that I have needed to use my heated pant liner.

For the jacket, I wear Joe Rocket Mesh jacket with protection in the elbows, shoulders, and back. It has a liner that I never use. If its cooler, I'll wear a heated liner with it. If it's really cold, I'll wear heated liner under leather jacket.

Can't wait for the thaw!

Bill_C
01-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Sliders riding jeans, they have extra thick denim and Kevlar lining where you'd need it most. Olympia Motorsports three season riding jacket, has back/shoulder/elbow armor any of which can be removed. In cold weather I put all of this on under my Firstgear one-piece riding suit (great value BTW, but not too fashionable...). Of course boots, gloves and a Shoei RF1200 rounds it out.

broncsrule21
01-18-2017, 11:38 PM
Riding boots- Every thing from Alpinstar, Icon, and assorted work/saftey toe boots (when I take the bike to work)

Slider brand Kevlar jeans, i have black and blue colors.

Joe Rocket armored mesh jackets, some textile/mesh combos, and a Fieldsheer full leather jacket depending on tempearture.

Gloves. Mesh/leather combo, or all leather depending on temperature.

Aria FF helmet...See avatar

Just wear the armor in the jackets, all have elbow,shoulder, and spine protector. Don't like to wear the armor that inserts into my riding pants, just uncomfortable to me.

JackB
01-19-2017, 07:09 AM
What kind of protective gear do you use if Any? My neighbor wears this bohn protective gear ,both pants and the shirt. Didnt even know he had them on. I am ordering some Draggin jeans and probably both these pieces. I do have a jacket with pads but also have a very nice/warm harley jacket that has no real pads. Also have riding pants with pads but they are very bulky so I use only if it's cold enough to tolerate them. And of course almost all my friends are riding Harleys with minimal protection,tee shirts,tiny worthless helmets, etc. https://www.bohn-armor-pants.com

I usually ride with Cycle Gear riding pants with knee pads and a riding jacket with pads.
I also have Bohn armor pants and shirt I wear the Bohn's under insulated pants during cold days.
I hardly wear the Bohn's mesh under shirt. I feel the jacket gives me more protection but on hot days I will wear the mash jacket with a light shirt over it. It is a lot cooler, if hotter just the mash jacket but in Wisconsin it usually doesn't get that hot.
On thing nice about the Bohn's is nobody knows you are wearing it.

seadog
01-19-2017, 11:40 AM
If you looking for a bang for your buck for a pair of protective riding jeans the Duluth Trading 5 pocket firehose jeans are the best. I also had a friend lay down his ride and said he slid at least 15 yards on asphalt and got up without a bit of road rash on his legs or butt, he is a firm believer in those heavy cotton jeans and I also bought two pair after seeing his and they were not even close to being destroyed. He still uses them and they are in fine shape. They are very comfortable for a heavy jean.

rdeady
01-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Would never have thought cotton jeans could hold up to a slide. I just ordered the draggin jeans but I'll look into the deluthes also. Seen the silly commercials they have though :)

six2go
01-19-2017, 01:16 PM
If you looking for a bang for your buck for a pair of protective riding jeans the Duluth Trading 5 pocket firehose jeans are the best. I also had a friend lay down his ride and said he slid at least 15 yards on asphalt and got up without a bit of road rash on his legs or butt, he is a firm believer in those heavy cotton jeans and I also bought two pair after seeing his and they were not even close to being destroyed. He still uses them and they are in fine shape. They are very comfortable for a heavy jean.
I like the Duluth jeans too. I have a pair of the 5 pocket jeans and a pair of the Work pants with the cargo pockets which I wear most of the time. They are the same material and are wearing like iron, however after several years they are showing a lot of "sun fade". They were originally black.

DTOM
01-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Hey Seadog,
How are those Duluth jeans on length? I know they sell long shirts to cover plumbers crack, but I'd love to find some comfortable, protective jeans that will stay down around my ankles (or just above) while in riding position. I wear mid-shin boots and I'm still having any pair of jeans I wear ride past the top of the boot. I'm not much for cold wind up my pant leg. Anyone else found a jean long enough that they like? I really don't want to have to break out my wifes' knee high bitch boots!

StonedInNy
01-19-2017, 07:13 PM
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-classic/men-s-roadcrafter-classic-one-piece-suit.html

This suit is very comfortable wear regular clothing under it, and it zips off very easy.

Bighutch14
01-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Hey Seadog,
How are those Duluth jeans on length? I know they sell long shirts to cover plumbers crack, but I'd love to find some comfortable, protective jeans that will stay down around my ankles (or just above) while in riding position. I wear mid-shin boots and I'm still having any pair of jeans I wear ride past the top of the boot. I'm not much for cold wind up my pant leg. Anyone else found a jean long enough that they like? I really don't want to have to break out my wifes' knee high bitch boots!

Hey DTOM. You ever tried anything like these. I've heard they work well. http://www.ryderclips.com/buy-biker-stirrups-boot-clips-ryderclips.php

jm21ddd15
01-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Duluth Fire Hose are very durable. Got a couple pairs myself. Also, a Duluth outlet store about 40 miles from my home. However, as tuff as they are, they don't have any armor in the knees, hips, or tailbone areas, and bones still break under hard impacts, even when the pants don't tear. I prefer "real" armored riding gear, that won't tear and gives approved armor for impact.

Fla_rider
01-20-2017, 07:14 AM
check this out

https://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAh4fEBRCZhriIjLfArrQBEiQArzzDAQ2e2un N7WHR16DXc3AhqT8dS5daE5V8dKfptRTMOtwaAg3H8P8HAQ

seadog
01-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Hey Seadog,

I purchased a jean with an extra 2 inches figuring on being in the seated position so normally I take a 32 length but purchased a 34 length jean and that works quite well. One more thing I forgot to mention, those large bugs that get past the fairing don't hurt as much when they hit your legs with these Duluth trading fire hose jeans on. You would think being as heavy as they are they would be uncomfortable but was pleasantly surprise at how nice and comfortable they are. Well worth the money spent and quite a savings over motorcycle gear protective pants.

53driver
01-20-2017, 09:47 AM
I purchased a jean with an extra 2 inches figuring on being in the seated position so normally I take a 32 length but purchased a 34 length jean and that works quite well. One more thing I forgot to mention, those large bugs that get past the fairing don't hurt as much when they hit your legs with these Duluth trading fire hose jeans on. You would think being as heavy as they are they would be uncomfortable but was pleasantly surprise at how nice and comfortable they are. Well worth the money spent and quite a savings over motorcycle gear protective pants.

I did the same thing...ordered 2" more length. Works great.
And yes, they breath VERY well. I was surprised also. I've a black pair and tan pair.
I find I use the tan pair when the sun is shining.
Black pair is for colder days and overcast days.
They are somewhat stain/water resistant too so those few drops that get past the Madstad or the fairing just run off.
Yes, they have no reinforced armor at the hip and knee - so a direct hit would suck.
But they are much more comfortable then 501s - especially in the crotch area as the legs are spread at an angle not "normal" to most jean fitments. The Duluth pants just fit better whilst in the saddle.

Cheers,
Steve

DTOM
01-20-2017, 09:49 AM

Yeah I bought a pair that was a little bigger in the waist to get some extra length and for comfort, but Bilt didn't have options for a longer jean in a particular waist size. I'm guessing Duluth and some other brands have more options. I'll check them out. Appreciate the feedback.

ReserveBum
01-23-2017, 05:17 PM
I have the Bohn pants and I like them a lot. Have had them for over 6 years and still fine. Tried different brands of motorcycle pants with the armor but just could not get comfortable with the armor. I still wear them but without the armor only for the friction protection. The Bohns help with the impact protection. The Bohns are super comfortable and dont get hot under regular jeans or motorcycle jeans/pants.

rdeady
01-23-2017, 05:46 PM
I have to get the bohn bottoms to go under the draggin jeans I ordered. Not sure about the top but would save me some trouble cause I'm thinking about ordering armor for an old but awsome harley textile jacket that has no armor. I use this particular jacket for cool and cold weather. Its crazy warm. I would have to install some pockets to hold it which will be pain in my but. Considering I don't even know how to sow.
I use a mesh looking scorpion jacket for warm and hot days and that has some armor,probably not great but it's there.

Hornblower
01-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Bohn Adventure pants! Works for me! What I like most...I'm protected but nobody else knows it.

Kitulu
01-24-2017, 11:48 AM
I recently highsided off my Shadow on the 19th of December. Due to the low speed, which was less than 30mph, I did not roll when I hit. I hit squarely on my shoulder, fracturing my clavicle where it connects to the shoulder blade in the back. I went in for x-rays twice, and just had my second CT scan today. The tech asked me what I did to "smash up my shoulder so bad", so I am thinking that, when I go back to Orthopedics on Friday, the Doc will have more bad news for me. :icon_frown:

I was wearing a River Road leather jacket with "armor" in the shoulders, elbows, and back. As it turns out, the "armor" was foam. Had I been wearing a jacket with actual CE-level armor, the damage might have been less. I have since ordered a Rev'It Sand 3 jacket, as I wanted an "all-in-one" for all season riding, and it has CE-2 armor. It ships in March, so if I am back on the bike by then I will let you know how it works out.

rdeady
01-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Oh man bummer about your shoulder. Hope it heals fast and well!

ShanghaiDan
01-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Olympia Motorsports Avenger suit. One piece, mesh, flows a ton of air, great protection, and packs down really small. Best part is it keeps my clothes clean when I ride. I can wear anything under it (shorts to a suit) and look great when I arrive - and am fully protected at the same time, too. Held Air-and-Dry gloves, Dainese Fulcrum boots, and a Schuberth C3 Pro round it out.

willtill
01-25-2017, 08:28 AM
I'd like to wear a full length riding suit.. but just can't find a size that fits me well. Either too short or too long. :icon_frown:

D-Train
01-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Safety gear? We're supposed to wear safety gear? How come nobody ever told me this before!?! :banghead:

motozeke
01-25-2017, 11:44 PM
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-classic/men-s-roadcrafter-classic-one-piece-suit.html

This suit is very comfortable wear regular clothing under it, and it zips off very easy.

Yep, nothing like a 'Stich, but JEEBUS does it get hot on the F6B above 90 degrees. Not enough airflow to keep the sweat from piling up.

stewy
01-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Finding it funny to read about armor clothing, Never gave it much of a thought until now. NOW that Mrs & I were hit last Sept & are home recovering. Funny She was telling me about the BOHN just a couple weeks ago.

I never even had a jacket on, The smallest still legal DOT approved helmet. Damn lucky! :icon_doh:
Not sure what I will be wearing, but I will be wearing something more protective, I have riding pants but the knee pads sag :icon_frown:, always an excuse but after you go down the first time you think differently.

I Like the BOHN body armor, wondering if this is the only company making under armor?

Kitulu
01-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Oh man bummer about your shoulder. Hope it heals fast and well!

Thanks...it's getting better now. I still have some range of motion loss, so started physical therapy. Today was the first day that I was able to get back on the bike and move the handlebars without too much pain, so I was able to ride to work. I go to the Doc tomorrow to find out the results of the CT scan.

Biscuit
01-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Olympia gear. It's about time to replace it but I went down in 2011 with it on and I still wear it today.

53driver
01-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks...it's getting better now. I still have some range of motion loss, so started physical therapy. Today was the first day that I was able to get back on the bike and move the handlebars without too much pain, so I was able to ride to work. I go to the Doc tomorrow to find out the results of the CT scan.

Get the hottest physical therapist you can!
Because you won't go through pain for anything less.
Been there, done that.
Cheers,
Steve

copper
01-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Olympia gear. It's about time to replace it but I went down in 2011 with it on and I still wear it today.

I'd like to wear a full length riding suit.. but just can't find a size that fits me well. Either too short or too long. :icon_frown:

Olympia Motorsports Avenger suit. One piece, mesh, flows a ton of air, great protection, and packs down really small. Best part is it keeps my clothes clean when I ride. I can wear anything under it (shorts to a suit) and look great when I arrive - and am fully protected at the same time, too. Held Air-and-Dry gloves, Dainese Fulcrum boots, and a Schuberth C3 Pro round it out.

Thanks for the pointer on the Olympia Avenger... Reveilla has it on a closeout, 40%+ off....

Audiochris90
01-27-2017, 12:13 AM
I just ride naked, the cagers seem to stay away but in coastal areas i tend to get harpooned.

rdeady
02-26-2017, 02:28 PM
I sowed elbow,shoulder,back armor into my harley textile jacket that I've had for a long time and wanted to keep. It never had armor! Thing ways a ton now but so much better protection. Put lvl 2 back armor (replaced a foam pad) in my summer jacket, so that thing is safer. Put the flat armor in my winter riding pants and used the armor I took out of them and sowed them into a pair of draggin jeans I just purchased. I may get another set of forcefield flat knee armor for the jeans and replace the one I have in there,not sure. So all my gear is upgraded !!!

beppok
03-04-2017, 04:31 AM
Hey DTOM. You ever tried anything like these. I've heard they work well. http://www.ryderclips.com/buy-biker-stirrups-boot-clips-ryderclips.php

I've used boot clips for years and they work great. Mine are not that fancy though. Mine are from some H2S monitors at work. They were throwing a bunch away and I took the clips off, laced them in my boots and I was set. Very heavy duty and free.