PDA

View Full Version : belly pan

2wheelsforme
01-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Well I hear some good arguments as to why you might want one. Hard to think about one when I don't seem to have a problem. I worry that essentially lowering the bottom of my bike might increase the possibility of scrapping/dragging. I do know I would want black. I do know that I don't want it to scrap in a turn, the pegs already do that early enough. I do know I want to be able to change oil with ease. I do know I do not like that industrial looking diamond plate skid plate. So many to choose from, I like small and tight fitting. Which one does not make contact when leaning and is mounted close to the bottom of the block?

GNW
01-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Well I hear some good arguments as to why you might want one. Hard to think about one when I don't seem to have a problem. I worry that essentially lowering the bottom of my bike might increase the possibility of scrapping/dragging. I do know I would want black. I do know that I don't want it to scrap in a turn, the pegs already do that early enough. I do know I want to be able to change oil with ease. I do know I do not like that industrial looking diamond plate skid plate. So many to choose from, I like small and tight fitting. Which one does not make contact when leaning and is mounted close to the bottom of the block?

This not what you want to hear but I like the MacGyver. For me it mounts as close as the other ones and it is Tuff and easy to change oil/filter. Don't know if it comes in black, but guess you could paint it. I bought mine in order to lift the motorcycle for maintenance, etc.
As far as scraping in a turn, I have not clue. Wife does not like me doing wild stuff at our age (and yes that applies to your on imagination also). :shhh:

JackB
01-19-2017, 07:23 AM
I have a black belly pan from Big Bike. I have scraped the bottom 2 or 3 times usually on a steep driveway I don't think I would have hit anything if it wasn't there. But who knows.
I thought it was good idea to protect the bottom of the bike.
As far as changing oil it's easy to take the cover off and on. My friend keeps his off.
I don't think it would hit when you are leaning but I haven't scraped my pegs yet.

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Thank you for your reply and I'm glad you like the MacGyver but as I said it is out as a choice for me. I do not understand what you mean by quote "(and yes that applies to your on imagination also). I see a Performance Black Vented Belly Pan for 89.99 or the Black Anodized Belly Pan for 54 something that looks to be close and well hidden but one review said it made contact in a curve. Decisions?

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 07:29 AM
I have a black belly pan from Big Bike. I have scraped the bottom 2 or 3 times usually on a steep driveway I don't think I would have hit anything if it wasn't there. But who knows.
I thought it was good idea to protect the bottom of the bike.
As far as changing oil it's easy to take the cover off and on. My friend keeps his off.
I don't think it would hit when you are leaning but I haven't scraped my pegs yet.

Yes that is one I'm looking at, the Show Chrome black one. Thanks for your reply. Mike

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 08:27 AM
I have read that Show Chrome and Big Bike were the one in the same or at least provided the same items. They do look identical in the pictures I've found. I also like the Tulsa but would have to keep it painted.

gregj
01-19-2017, 10:13 AM
This not what you want to hear but I like the MacGyver. For me it mounts as close as the other ones and it is Tuff and easy to change oil/filter. Don't know if it comes in black, but guess you could paint it. I bought mine in order to lift the motorcycle for maintenance, etc.
As far as scraping in a turn, I have not clue. Wife does not like me doing wild stuff at our age (and yes that applies to your on imagination also). :shhh:

I was under the impression they all use the mount tabs on the headers. If the McGyver does as well, I believe it has been noted here by many that the headers are not good way to support the weight of the 6. Phantom had one planned that will I think. I have been holding out for that one.

Sorcerer
01-19-2017, 10:17 AM
On my 13 I put the black Show Chrome with the round vent holes. Yes it scraped, followed shortly by heat shields and the front crash bars. On my 14 I went with the louvered stainless and painted it black. Why did I go with a different pan you my ask. The one on my 13 was aluminum and used very small hex head screws to hold the front part in place. The small steel hex head screw was easly stripped. Steel and aluminum don't play well with each other. The stainless pan uses 1/4 turn aircraft fasteners. As for scraping. When I get to the edge of the belly pan I am also getting to the heat shields. If your going to go with out a pan I would put something more than the aluminum duc tape that Honda put on the overflow tank. Lastly when I installed both pans there was not more than a 1/16" from the engine block.

Stone Laker
01-19-2017, 11:11 AM
I have read that Show Chrome and Big Bike were the one in the same or at least provided the same items. They do look identical in the pictures I've found. I also like the Tulsa but would have to keep it painted.

Big Bike Parts is the company. Show Chrome, Hopnel, Ultra Guard are the brands.

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 12:20 PM
On my 13 I put the black Show Chrome with the round vent holes. Yes it scraped, followed shortly by heat shields and the front crash bars. On my 14 I went with the louvered stainless and painted it black. Why did I go with a different pan you my ask. The one on my 13 was aluminum and used very small hex head screws to hold the front part in place. The small steel hex head screw was easly stripped. Steel and aluminum don't play well with each other. The stainless pan uses 1/4 turn aircraft fasteners. As for scraping. When I get to the edge of the belly pan I am also getting to the heat shields. If your going to go with out a pan I would put something more than the aluminum duc tape that Honda put on the overflow tank. Lastly when I installed both pans there was not more than a 1/16" from the engine block.

That is some good info right there. So now I'm off the Show Chrome/ Big Bike pan. I see a steel pan in black by the same company, "Performance" as the vented SS and the write up is the same for both. SS is 89.99 and the black steel is 79.99. Now favoring the black steel. Anyone had bad results from Performance products?

Jimmytee
01-19-2017, 12:36 PM
I have the MacGyver on mine. Some pretty spirited rides during last year's Rally left it like this.:icon_biggrin:4641

I chose the MacGyver because it is thicker material than those made by Show Chrome or Big Bike. One comparison sidea by side and the others just seem flimsy.
Mine mounted, is snug up to the bottom of the engine. I've used it in lifting the bike once,just to see. The weight of the bike ,in my case was on the engine mainly. The belly pan just gave a broader more even surface to lift on. The pan could always be painted. JMTCW

53driver
01-19-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm a huge proponent of the belly pan.
Things I've hit, run over, the scratches and wear on the sides where I've leaned over, all tell me it's a "good thing" to have on the bike.

I'll offer this as I just discovered it when I changed my oil...
Background: I have the same black pan with the circle cutouts that Sorcerer had, and also like JimmyT, some very spirited rides have left some serious scratches on it.
Yes, the front access cover nuts were stripped, just like Sorcerer's.

So when I change my oil I just loosen the 4 acorn nuts and drop the whole pan.
Lets me clean out any debris and give a good look-see at what's happening under there.
This last time, I was missing an acorn nut head.
Not the bolt - it was still securely in its hole, no rust had formed...
I rolled over a speed bump about a week ago - I know which one exactly - and the belly pan hit.
I'm guessing the impact sheared the head off the bolt.
One comment I recall - I think it was Big Larry - cautioned the use of the McGyver pan as a lift point as the acorn nuts are not designed to take on lateral loads.
Obviously, an "impact" vs. gradual pressure is a key factor.

So my pan is off and I discarded it due to the way it had become bent, discolored by heat, and generally just beat up looking.
I'm mounting another one after I disinf*ckulate my acorn bolt and I'm leaning towards Sorcerer's second pan as well with the aircraft fittings.

Just sharing my experience.
Cheers,
Steve

JMartin
01-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Is this the one everybody is talking about:

http://wingstuff.com/products/37566-performance-black-vented-belly-pan?context=wingstuff_brand_new_year_sale

Jim

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 07:33 PM
That is the one I'm leaning toward.

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Looks just like the SS version but steel and black instead.

Sorcerer
01-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Just a note. My 13 pan had the slots going up from the edge of the pan. The 14 as shown in the link have them running with the length of the pan. I had 1 slot that I had to use a carbide bit in my dremmel to open it up to get it over the stud. Being as it was the last one to go on and I didn't want to pull the pan to see if there were another combo I just removed enough to clear the stud. I didn't want to have to by the pan stretcher.😜

edgeman55
01-19-2017, 08:06 PM

+1 the MacGyver IMHO is the only one worth using as it will hold up and give better protection then the other lighter metal pans offered.I know this as my first pan was beat to s**t after a year the MacGuyver has been on for two years now and looks great.

2wheelsforme
01-19-2017, 09:01 PM
I hear ya guys who like the MacG. But it is not a consideration in my choices. It is personal, I do not like the looks of the diamond plate. Can't be talked into it but I'm happy you are happy with your pan. Now back to the Performance Series Louvered Black Powdercoated 2-piece. Yep that may the one for me. Wish I had a K to drop I would get the Heli Bars also.

Jimmytee
01-19-2017, 09:14 PM
I hear ya guys who like the MacG. But it is not a consideration in my choices. It is personal, I do not like the looks of the diamond plate. Can't be talked into it but I'm happy you are happy with your pan. Now back to the Performance Series Louvered Black Powdercoated 2-piece. Yep that may the one for me. Wish I had a K to drop I would get the Heli Bars also.

Understood. Of course I don't really see mine except laying on the ground or from pictures of me cornering.:icon_cool:4642

JMartin
01-19-2017, 10:55 PM
Ok, so I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a belly pan too.
I have no issues with Diamond Plate, but I do want Black, and it seems a shame to paint over that nicely polished plate.
On the other hand, I am very concerned (as others have stated in their reviews) about heat.
The stainless (and already black steel) pans have the louvers in them and look as though they at least have some concern for heat dissipation.
Whereas the MacGyver appears to have no consideration for any heat buildup or lack of airflow under their pan.

Anybody want to give an opinion here?

Thanx in advance,
Jim

Steve 0080
01-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Mac G is the only way to go! Wether you like diamond plate or not, it is made of the thickest material out there and I can easily lift the bike on my lift. Paint it or have it powder coated... you only have to do the sides. No heat issues for me. There have been a few folks that have had their oil filter punctured by an object and the water bottle is under there as well. I did not paint mine and you can barley see it.

Your call... Opinions vary!!! "fireybat"

53driver
01-19-2017, 11:45 PM
With a water cooled engine, heat build up down there isn't allegedly a factor.

Since my belly pan is off and I have one of those laser point temp/heat reader thingys (Harbor Freight, $20), I'll take a few days of data on different points on the underside.
When I get a bellypan, I'll do the same.
I'll have to use points I can see with the bellypan installed to create a similar data set.

Cheers,
Steve

JMartin
01-20-2017, 12:02 AM
With a water cooled engine, heat build up down there isn't allegedly a factor.

Since my belly pan is off and I have one of those laser point temp/heat reader thingys (Harbor Freight, $20), I'll take a few days of data on different points on the underside.
When I get a bellypan, I'll do the same.
I'll have to use points I can see with the bellypan installed to create a similar data set.

Cheers,
Steve
This is great.
I look forward to your results.
Thanx,
Jim

2wheelsforme
01-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Well it appears that no matter what we can't stop talking about the MacG pan. It is so strong that in my opinion if you hit something solid it will just shear off the mounts. As said that is the weak point underneath anyway. I prefer something a little softer to help absorb an impact.

GNW
01-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Well it appears that no matter what we can't stop talking about the MacG pan. It is so strong that in my opinion if you hit something solid it will just shear off the mounts. As said that is the weak point underneath anyway. I prefer something a little softer to help absorb an impact.

From what all I have read on this thread you are doomed for a thin aluminum black pan (no MacG).

'all/right'

2wheelsforme
01-20-2017, 08:25 AM
From what all I have read on this thread you are doomed for a thin aluminum black pan (no MacG).

'all/right'

Wow finally, even though my first post in this thread says no to the industrial diamond plate and I only want black it still took many post of debate to realize I will not get a MacG. I would bet it did stop others from posting their experiences about the other brands which is what I was wanting. It does remind me of the motorcycle tire post where no mater what is said the CT people fell compelled to inject the superior qualities of running a CT to the point you can't talk about motorcycle tires. Oh well they love the CTs and you love your MacG to the point if that if I don't agree with your choice then I'm doomed.

3Chief
01-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Like was mentioned earlier Phantom was working on something but life got in the way. Someday maybe he'll have the opportunity to finish it up, however if you do a search or one of the moderators has it handy you could see the route he was going.

No Handle Sam
01-20-2017, 09:24 AM
I still like the one that Tony designed the best...

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7206-Boss-under-crankcase-just-throwing-out-an-idea/page3

So I think I'll hold off to see if something develops with it.

GNW
01-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Wow finally, even though my first post in this thread says no to the industrial diamond plate and I only want black it still took many post of debate to realize I will not get a MacG. I would bet it did stop others from posting their experiences about the other brands which is what I was wanting. It does remind me of the motorcycle tire post where no mater what is said the CT people fell compelled to inject the superior qualities of running a CT to the point you can't talk about motorcycle tires. Oh well they love the CTs and you love your MacG to the point if that if I don't agree with your choice then I'm doomed.

Sorry I said doomed. You already know what you want, if you want it. Buy it. Oh, just buy from our sponsors !

D-Train
01-21-2017, 01:12 PM
I have read that Show Chrome and Big Bike were the one in the same or at least provided the same items.

Big Bike Parts is the name of the company, Show Chrome Accessories is what they call their line of cruiser accessories. :icon_wink:

olegoat345
01-21-2017, 02:21 PM
What does the belly pan bolt to?? Surly not the 4 small studs that hold the headers heat shield.

BIGLRY
01-21-2017, 02:32 PM
What does the belly pan bolt to?? Surly not the 4 small studs that hold the headers heat shield.

Yep, here are some pic of the four 6x1.25 mm heat sheild bolts fixed on the exhaust headers that all belly pans I have seen attachment to!

Steve 0080
01-21-2017, 02:56 PM

I was aware of your desire and I am sure many others were as well. I was stating that " the BEST one on the market is the McG" if Tony brings one to market, the McG will be the second best. If you want 4th or 5th best please carry on. I/we were trying to save you some grief. Now you could stretch a piece of plastic across down there and hope for the best or better yet you may never need one and could have wasted your money and time. YMMV. "fireybat"

edgeman55
01-21-2017, 07:55 PM
I was aware of your desire and I am sure many others were as well. I was stating that " the BEST one on the market is the McG" if Tony brings one to market, the McG will be the second best. If you want 4th or 5th best please carry on. I/we were trying to save you some grief. Now you could stretch a piece of plastic across down there and hope for the best or better yet you may never need one and could have wasted your money and time. YMMV. "fireybat"

Ditto-I was trying to express the same thing as I had one of the lighter guage black steel ones on my F6B at first but it hit on a curb hit or sumthin like it and got pretty beat up and the screws that held on the front section sheared off on one side.The McG pan has been bullitproof but as said its your mula.Carry on over and out.

53driver
01-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Yep, here are some pic of the four 6x1.25 mm heat shield bolts fixed on the exhaust headers that all belly pans I have seen attachment to!

And now I gotta replace 1....

skippy1969
01-21-2017, 10:00 PM
I have the black Show Chrome belly pan and I've scraped it a few times and it usually happened while hitting a bump in mid curve.
I just touch it up with some black paint.

BIGLRY
01-22-2017, 12:54 PM
And now I gotta replace 1....
Not fun :cus:

shortleg0521
07-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Yes that is one I'm looking at, the Show Chrome black one. Thanks for your reply. Mike

First off I just want to tell you get one!
I hit something on a trip to Montana and it ripped my shifter
almost off and made me jump into the air. If I had not had
a bellypan I can,t even thnk what damage would have been done.

BuzzzPhotos
07-08-2017, 01:21 PM
I had the black Showchrome one first & it was easy to install. Stripped a bolt & fixed it & it was a pain. it seemed to scrape a lot and it was beat out of shape after about 3 oil changes. Threw it away & got a McG. Can't even see it once installed. After having the black one & seeing how beat up it got I'll keep this heavier one on it.

olegoat345
07-08-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm on the fence.
It looks like it mounts using the 4 tiny bolts that hole the exhaust heat shields, correct?
If that's the case, those tiny bolts look like they might give way after a few times lifting.
Am I confused? Help me out here.

2wheelsforme
07-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Very satisfied with the one I got. Almost invisible except for a small black strip on the side, does not scrap in turns, easy to mount, easy to do an oil change, strong enough to lift the bike for a tire change even. I did scrap a speed bump once and no damage but do avoid them straight on now. Hopefully if I ever hit something really hard it will absorb the hit as a sacrifice and not damage the mount bolt points.

Dweisman429
07-11-2017, 06:51 AM
I have the black variety of the Show Chrome pan on mine as well. I have had it scrape quite a few times...no damage, just took off some of the paint.
As for chainging the oil...just completed my 2nd oil change and putting the front section back in is still just as annoying as the first install. Cant see what im doing or where the hole is...but once you get the screw lined up its no problem.
I did notice when i did the last service that there were several dents and scrapes in addition to the ones on the side edges...so it is doing its job.
I think the main thing is that you get SOMETHING down there. Obviously this pan is not going to last the life of the bike. I may try a different pan later but for now im overall pleased with what i have