PDA

View Full Version : Custom Fit Items

Hornblower
09-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Just completed installing the final piece of the puzzle to custom-fit the F6B to ME. Obviously, YMMV, but for my 5'10" height, 30" inseam, and 33" sleeve size, the following items have made my F6B oh so perfect... First, there was the Cee Bailey 13" windscreen with vent. Next came the Utopia rider's backrest. Following that were the MBL risers and finally today, the last piece (is there really such a thing???), the Rivco Aero highway pegs. Wow, I'm loving it:clap2:

For most of us who like the dark, stealthy look, (excluding QFC expert Steve 0080), the black anodized Aero pegs are so-o-o-o nice. These replaced the faux-chrome plastic strips that advertise HONDA. I installed these in the most rearward position and the reach is perfect (for me).

Here's the question...is there any downside to the Rivco Aero pegs (aside from price, of course)? Some argue that even when folded and the bike is dropped on one side, the valve cover could be pushed in with serious consequences. According to Rivco, the F6B crash bars will hit first so this shouldn't be a concern. I haven't tested for this so it remains to be seen. Also, I'm not sure how you can deploy the pegs without reaching down to pull them out. There may be some technique to do this with your shoes but I don't see it. Other than that, these look awesome, fit great, are quality-made, and best of all, replaced some plastic chrome.:clap2:

BACA
09-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Just completed installing the final piece of the puzzle to custom-fit the F6B to ME. Obviously, YMMV, but for my 5'10" height, 30" inseam, and 33" sleeve size, the following items have made my F6B oh so perfect... First, there was the Cee Bailey 13" windscreen with vent. Next came the Utopia rider's backrest. Following that were the MBL risers and finally today, the last piece (is there really such a thing???), the Rivco Aero highway pegs. Wow, I'm loving it:clap2:

For most of us who like the dark, stealthy look, (excluding QFC expert Steve 0080), the black anodized Aero pegs are so-o-o-o nice. These replaced the faux-chrome plastic strips that advertise HONDA. I installed these in the most rearward position and the reach is perfect (for me).

Here's the question...is there any downside to the Rivco Aero pegs (aside from price, of course)? Some argue that even when folded and the bike is dropped on one side, the valve cover could be pushed in with serious consequences. According to Rivco, the F6B crash bars will hit first so this shouldn't be a concern. I haven't tested for this so it remains to be seen. Also, I'm not sure how you can deploy the pegs without reaching down to pull them out. There may be some technique to do this with your shoes but I don't see it. Other than that, these look awesome, fit great, are quality-made, and best of all, replaced some plastic chrome.:clap2:

I've got a set on my F6B and I they are great!! I use the toe of my boot to deploy them and always put them back in when I pull into a gas station or into a driveway, etc., just to be sure in case the inevitable happens. I've been on trips and around the area and they work great. You will enjoy them.

Ride Safe but often!!

Scotrod
09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Seems like getting into the habit of retracting them as mentioned by BACA may be a good thing. (Couldn't hurt)
No first hand experience, but read where slow/no speed tip-overs with pegs deployed could be damaging.
Enjoy! :yes:

Steve 0080
09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
My pegs have been back ordered since 4- Sept.... and yes I did get the silver ones so to keep the silver on the valve covers...... it was all I could do not to get the Chrome !!!!!! ( Re-sale )

Glad to here they fit you ! I was wondering myself, as we have the same inseam.....

Phantom
09-30-2013, 06:55 PM
:icon_cool:

Just so that EVERYONE knows, there has been only one documented incident in 7 years where the pegs damaged the valve covers. The Owner of the Goldwing admitted that it was his fault. His Goldwing was raised up on a jack or stand with pegs open when the Goldwing FELL off and landed on its side (on concrete).

I do own a set of the first aero pegs that were fabricated 7 years ago. Left side peg was open when the owner of a Honda Rune dropped his Rune (Weighs more than a Goldwing), the peg closed but the weight bent the pivot bolt of the peg, the valve cover was not damaged. I have nothing to gain with these pegs, however the facts need to be out there before people start to think other wise.

The pivot bolt can be replaced if damaged.

Scotrod
09-30-2013, 07:00 PM
I reckon falling off a lift could be considered a 'slow/no speed tip-over'! LOL!
Wonder who's going to get all the 'other' forums up to speed?

Steve 0080
09-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Some folks get something in their mind and they can never forget...Kinda like a grudge…I posted on the GL board that the Rivco Pegs where great…people just do not have the ability to forgive and forget!!!!

1951vbs
09-30-2013, 07:38 PM
My pegs have been back ordered since 4- Sept.... and yes I did get the silver ones so to keep the silver on the valve covers...... it was all I could do not to get the Chrome !!!!!! ( Re-sale )

Glad to here they fit you ! I was wondering myself, as we have the same inseam.....

Steve, I just ordered a set of silver anodized last Monday and received them Friday. No back-order for me. I wanted the silver to keep the contrast on the valve covers. I also satin finished the exhaust to match.

Cool Hand Luke
09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Also, I'm not sure how you can deploy the pegs without reaching down to pull them out. There may be some technique to do this with your shoes but I don't see it. Other than that, these look awesome, fit great, are quality-made, and best of all, replaced some plastic chrome.:clap2:[/QUOTE]

Pegs are easily deployed while riding. Pegs have grooves machined on the underside. You simply reach with your footwear under the pegs and pull them open. Try it next time, it is very easy to do.

In my opinion it is very unlikely these would cause much damage to the bike but you never know. The mounting plate is much thicker than a stock one, it seems in the event of tip over it would distribute the weight of the peg as to not cause a puncture. While I was at Americade this year I saw the owner of Rivco put F6B with open peg on its side and everything seemed fine. He was illustrating that pegs are so well built that a peg supported the weight of the bike without breaking. He also stood on a peg to show it can withstand at least 180 lbs of his weight, if I remember correctly. He also posted a video showing this, which is posted elsewhere on this forum as well as youtube.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. These are simply great functioning items which also greatly complement the looks of F6B in my opinion.

Steve 0080
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
1951vbs......Thanks..... wonder who is pulling my leg???

Phantom
09-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Some folks get something in their mind and they can never forget...Kinda like a grudge…people just do not have the ability to forgive and forget!!!!

There once was a GREAT "no frills" little airline that many of us liked. The rates were great, the service was acceptable, they were kicking DELTA's ASS based out of Atlanta. They were much reasonably priced than Delta going into the same markets , they were growing faster than any other airline at that time. Round trip fares to Philadelphia from Florida were $99 and then WHAMO, one of their planes crashed into the Everglades.

The GREAT "no frills" little airline that I and many liked was called VALUJET, it was a NON-UNION airline and DELTA was a UNION airline, both were based out of Atlanta and Delta was getting it's teeth kicked in by this little airline.

EVERYONE from the News media, Union shops, Delta and its suppliers SMEARED this VALUJET after the crash with statements like the airline was NOT safe to fly, their mechanics did not maintain the jets properly, ValuJet cut corners on safety issues BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, that was supposedly the reason for the crash.

The REAL REASON was an onboard fire triggered by full chemical oxygen generators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oxygen_generator) that were illegally stowed in the cargo hold without their safety caps by maintenance subcontractor SabreTech. The fire burned through the electrical system of the jet before the pilots could return back to the airport.

The Airline known as VALUJET was WRONGFULLY shut down due to being much more competitive than DELTA who had monopolized certain markets and price gouged the passengers knowing that it could until ValuJet came along. Eventually the airline did return under new ownership and name … AirTRAN which has since been purchased by SouthWest Airlines.

The moral of the story is that people take one incident, JUMP to conclusions before having all of the facts and make erroneous statements about a company or product. The Aero Pegs may not be for everyone but they are a well built accessory by a quality manufacturer.

:banghead:

Steve 0080
10-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Got my Aero Pegs and have them installed...fit and finish is what Rivco is known for and these are top shelf...The jury is still out to whether I like them or not....nothing to do with quality but my short little legs...I am straight legged when using them and I am not sure this will be comfortable for me... I prefer my legs to be bent...these may be going on the auction block after Daytona Biketobervest.... but I did install a " catch" to aid in letting out the peg...Chrome of course !!! Sorry...should have dusted them off before taking the pics...they are pristine ...

Hornblower
10-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Got my Aero Pegs and have them installed...fit and finish is what Rivco is known for and these are top shelf...The jury is still out to whether I like them or not....nothing to do with quality but my short little legs...I am straight legged when using them and I am not sure this will be comfortable for me... I prefer my legs to be bent...these may be going on the auction block after Daytona Biketobervest.... but I did install a " catch" to aid in letting out the peg...Chrome of course !!! Sorry...should have dusted them off before taking the pics...they are pristine ...

Steve--Before you unload these on auction, you may want to do what I did (maybe I should have mentioned this in my OP)...when I installed the Utopia rider's backrest, I adjusted it so that I would sit further forward. Generally, I like a little more forward sitting position for handling anyway. Then, with the Aero pegs in the furthest rearward position, my legs are bent which, like you, I prefer. For me, highway pegs just don't work well unless you have a rider's backrest to push against and, in this case, to move me a little forward. Hope this applies to your case as well.

Steve 0080
10-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks HB.....for me, never ben a fan of foot pegs... makes it slow to action if needed...just never used them... we will see I have a coast to coast trip planned on the 19 th....( easy now that is the East coast of FL to the West coast of Fl ) for a seafood fest in Cedar Key...I will know after that trip if I want to keep them..thanks again !!!

Deer Slayer
10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Gee Toots, I thought we were to try on for size before purchase. I did.. lol...

Hornblower
10-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Gee Toots, I thought we were to try on for size before purchase. I did.. lol...

What can I say...you're always one step ahead of me:icon_biggrin:

Hornblower
10-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks HB.....for me, never ben a fan of foot pegs... makes it slow to action if needed...just never used them... we will see I have a coast to coast trip planned on the 19 th....( easy now that is the East coast of FL to the West coast of Fl ) for a seafood fest in Cedar Key...I will know after that trip if I want to keep them..thanks again !!!

I'm with you on the "slow to action" point. I will say this though...after about 3 hours in basically the same sitting position, it sure is nice to put your feet up and change the pressure points. Having the rider backrest to lean back against makes all the difference IMHO.