PDA

View Full Version : Gold Wing Recall... FYI

JMartin
01-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Four hours ago...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/honda-recalls-goldwing-motorcycles-012017.html

Interesting.
Air bag models.

Jim

opas ride
01-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Guess I have never really understood the need for an air-bag on a motorcycle!!..I suppose it helps in a crash somehow otherwise I don't think Honda would have designed it for the GW....JMHO

tiltingf6b
01-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Four hours ago...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/honda-recalls-goldwing-motorcycles-012017.html

Interesting.
Air bag models.

Jim

If they recall your motorcycle you can press them for a free rental car / motorcycle and they (Honda) has to provide it up until it is replaced.

edgeman55
01-20-2017, 04:24 PM
At 380 lbs I have a built in air bag-LOL

Dave Ritsema
01-20-2017, 06:55 PM
I used to thing an airbag on a motorcycle was ridiculous. After I watched the video I changed my mind. Without the bad the rider goes right into the car, with the bag up and over. If those were my two choices I would prefer to go over rather than thru!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdEPp38xMGE

opas ride
01-20-2017, 07:05 PM
I used to thing an airbag on a motorcycle was ridiculous. After I watched the video I changed my mind. Without the bad the rider goes right into the car, with the bag up and over. If those were my two choices I would prefer to go over rather than thru!

Maybe so, but does this type of accident really happen in the real world??..I doubt very often, if at all....JMHO

53driver
01-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Maybe so, but does this type of accident really happen in the real world??..I doubt very often, if at all....JMHO

Uh, the number one multi vehicle "accident" scenario involving motorcycles is when the car turns left in front of the motorcycle and the bike catches the car right front, center or right rear panels.
So, to answer your question, yes.

Cheers,
Steve

stroguy
01-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Kind of hoping he was a joking. Maybe an overdose of inauguration punch.

BIGLRY
01-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Uh, the number one multi vehicle "accident" scenario involving motorcycles is when the car turns left in front of the motorcycle and the bike catches the car right front, center or right rear panels.
So, to answer your question, yes.

Cheers,
Steve
+1

I have lost more riding brothers to left turn cages than I like to think about, my own little brother hit a van due to a left turn and cost him 2 broken legs. I personally would much rather go "over" then "into" a crash. I would love an air bag on the F6B, but that is just my personal opinion.

willtill
01-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Headlight Modulators

BIGLRY
01-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Headlight ModulatorsYea great items I agree, but how do you protect yourself from the bubble headed bleach blond soccer mom putting on eyeliner and texting while making a left turn in front of you at the same time? An air bag just might be a life saver IMHO.

D-Train
01-21-2017, 02:39 PM

Looks to me like both scenarios cause the rider to go head first into the van! :shrug:

opas ride
01-21-2017, 04:29 PM
I truly hope none of us ever crash or get hit by a car believe me...but if these air-bags on motorcycles were all that life saving, why are they not required on heavy road bikes and why is Honda the only one that has them on 1 model????...Just curious

JMartin
01-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I truly hope none of us ever crash or get hit by a car believe me...but if these air-bags on motorcycles were all that life saving, why are they not required on heavy road bikes and why is Honda the only one that has them on 1 model????...Just curiousAnd why is ABS not standard in the U.S. but required in Canada... and why are self-cancelling turn signals an option and not standard equipment? I've had them on certain bikes since the 80's.

It seems that Safety, like comfort, is optional in the U.S.

Go figure.

F6Dave
01-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Does the Wing use Takata inflators? It seems like about half the cars and trucks on the road are being recalled for those.

willtill
01-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Yea great items I agree, but how do you protect yourself from the bubble headed bleach blond soccer mom putting on eyeliner and texting while making a left turn in front of you at the same time? An air bag just might be a life saver IMHO.

Headlight Modulators are not the ultimate answer to dizzy bubble headed beach blondes, but they are one of a few tools that may help defeat the possibility of a driver executing a left turn immediately in front of you.

Practically every excuse rendered by a car driver after such a scenario is "I didn't see him coming" :icon_doh:

I truly hope none of us ever crash or get hit by a car believe me...but if these air-bags on motorcycles were all that life saving, why are they not required on heavy road bikes and why is Honda the only one that has them on 1 model????...Just curious

It's just an option. Motorcycles are not mandated by law to have the same safety equipment as automobiles/vehicles. And... you don't want to go there... :nono: