PDA

View Full Version : Russell Day-Long Saddle

1951vbs
09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Just received my custom built Day-Long seat from Russell. The problem is the right rear grab rail bolt on my bike is frozen, I mean it will not budge! All three others are fine. I guess I will stop by the dealer and let them break off an allen socket or two. Until then I will just be admiring my new seat and imagining the comfort. Sparky, I have purchased several Russell Saddles (not as many as you though) and have never tried the velour (I was always worried about keeping it dry). Based on your report I gave it a try.

bob109
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Just received my custom built Day-Long seat from Russell. The problem is the right rear grab rail bolt on my bike is frozen, I mean it will not budge! All three others are fine. I guess I will stop by the dealer and let them break off an allen socket or two. Until then I will just be admiring my new seat and imagining the comfort. Sparky, I have purchased several Russell Saddles (not as many as you though) and have never tried the velour (I was always worried about keeping it dry). Based on your report I gave it a try.

Harbor Freight has a Impact Driver for a few bucks. Had to use one on my Honda VTX seat bolts. A good rap with a hammer and the driver applies a shock and counter-clockwise rotation simutaneously. Works like a charm:icon_wink:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17210.jpg

1951vbs
09-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Harbor Freight has a Impact Driver for a few bucks. Had to use one on my Honda VTX seat bolts. A good rap with a hammer and the driver applies a shock and counter-clockwise rotation simutaneously. Works like a charm:icon_wink:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17210.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Harbor Freight is right across the street from the Honda dealer. One way or another I'll get er done.

Scotrod
09-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Galled? (Seat looks nice! Reminds me of something I need to get done!) :yes:

MichaelG
09-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Bob109, or...you could try the Snap-On version of the same tool. I simply go to my tool box, open drawer # 9, and there it is, laying on the right side of the drawer. :icon_mrgreen:

Mike, I am very happy that you went with another RDL. You will find that you LOVE the velour seating area. Never HOT in the Summer...never COLD in the Winter. I only cover it if I am washing the bike, which...if you ask Hornblower...is like...never. I was happy to have the dirtiest bike at the F6B rally.

So, cover the velour section of the seat when washing the bike. Otherwise, when you are riding...even in the rain, the seat is covered. When you are not riding...and it is raining, the bike is usually covered, or in a garage.

Take your time with that stuck bolt, and it will come out.

hiflyer
09-30-2013, 09:19 PM
I assume you sent another seat in for the rebuild? Where did you get it and how much was it (the extra stock seat) if you don't mind me asking.

1951vbs
10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I assume you sent another seat in for the rebuild? Where did you get it and how much was it (the extra stock seat) if you don't mind me asking.

I purchased a seat from a forum member for $200 and had him ship it to Russell for me (he bought a Corbin). I have it sold to another forum member (as soon as I get my stuck bolt out) for $200. If I didn't sell it I was just going to rent it out.

1951vbs
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Bob109, or...you could try the Snap-On version of the same tool. I simply go to my tool box, open drawer # 9, and there it is, laying on the right side of the drawer. :icon_mrgreen:

Mike, I am very happy that you went with another RDL. You will find that you LOVE the velour seating area. Never HOT in the Summer...never COLD in the Winter. I only cover it if I am washing the bike, which...if you ask Hornblower...is like...never. I was happy to have the dirtiest bike at the F6B rally.

So, cover the velour section of the seat when washing the bike. Otherwise, when you are riding...even in the rain, the seat is covered. When you are not riding...and it is raining, the bike is usually covered, or in a garage.

Take your time with that stuck bolt, and it will come out.

I am sure I can get it out but incase there are any issues with the internal hardware or I really booger it up trying I am running by the dealer at lunch and the service manager said he will get it looked at and fixed. It is only 10 miles so not much of a trip.

I did buy a raincover from Russell and will use it when needed. I park outside at work everyday so it will see some rain here and there. Also will be handy on trips. Just a little more hassle than vinyl but much nicer.

F6B-RICH
10-01-2013, 10:55 AM
I guess thats why Wingstuff sells Rust Free Easy Mount Seat Bolts for the F6B for $14.99 the stock Honda bolts don't like water and rust.

Steve 0080
10-01-2013, 12:08 PM
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/regulargrade.htm

Scotrod
10-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Please be aware Rust-free and gall-free are 2 different things. I believe the 'rust free' bolts may be easier to install with the pointed tips, however, galling may still occur.

On a prior Honda, I simply smeared some Turtlewax paste wax on the seat bolt threads and things worked just fine, time after time. (Oil works as well, but can be 'messy/attract dirt')

Both Lubrication and torque can be key issues if galling is a concern.

YMMV :icon_biggrin:

bob109
10-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Before installing any bolts/screws subject to corrosion simply take a lighted candle and cover the threads with a few drops of melted paraffin. Simple and effective, it prevents rust and galling during future removal of the hardware. It's not messy like most never seize compounds and who doesn't have a few candles laying around:icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
and who doesn't have a few candles laying around:icon_biggrin:

The Turtlewax was closer!!! LOL!!!!

Scotrod
10-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Dagnabit,,, Everytime I look at 51's seat, I feel like several Ben will be leaving my wallet very soon!!!

(I know my butt will thank me many times over!!!!)

MichaelG
10-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Dagnabit,,, Everytime I look at 51's seat, I feel like several Ben will be leaving my wallet very soon!!!

(I know my butt will thank me many times over!!!!)

Scotrod, get ready to spend money. This was the first RDL seat thyey made for an F6B.
16311632163316341635 :077:

1951vbs
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I guess thats why Wingstuff sells Rust Free Easy Mount Seat Bolts for the F6B for $14.99 the stock Honda bolts don't like water and rust.

Good tip, thanks.
Went by the dealer at lunch and all their tricks didn't work. Said the bolt will most likely break off and asked if it did could I leave the bike as they would have to get on it after they finished a few customers that actually waited in line (he didn't really say that but thats what he meant). My bike is my only transportation so I said try it and if it breaks I will bring it in some morning later this week when I can wait (with an appointment).
It broke way back where it threads into the frame (which is where it is most likely galled and at the end of the shank=weakest point). I should be able to pull my seat off now and install the RDL. Will try tonight.

MichaelG
10-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Good tip, thanks.
Went by the dealer at lunch and all their tricks didn't work. Said the bolt will most likely break off and asked if it did could I leave the bike as they would have to get on it after they finished a few customers that actually waited in line (he didn't really say that but thats what he meant). My bike is my only transportation so I said try it and if it breaks I will bring it in some morning later this week when I can wait (with an appointment).
It broke way back where it threads into the frame (which is where it is most likely galled and at the end of the shank=weakest point). I should be able to pull my seat off now and install the RDL. Will try tonight.

Mike, a Russell seat is so good...you can ride with only 3 bolts in the seat, and you wouldn't even know it.

Scotrod
10-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Scotrod, get ready to spend money. This was the first RDL seat thyey made for an F6B.

No doubt in my mind they are awesome seats! Seems like its a few Ben more everytime I get one! LOL!

1951vbs
10-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Mike, a Russell seat is so good...you can ride with only 3 bolts in the seat, and you wouldn't even know it.

It is on with 3 bolts and Russell worked their magic again. The "pocket" is just where I asked and I can't wait for my ride to/from Barber Motorsports Vintage Days next weekend.

fsixb_AZ
10-01-2013, 10:04 PM
That seat looks great! Nothing at all like I remember packing in the box for shipment. Looks mighty comfortable.:yes:

1951vbs
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
That seat looks great! Nothing at all like I remember packing in the box for shipment. Looks mighty comfortable.:yes:

It is just what I ordered. Thanks for parting with your stock seat so I could keep riding. Mine old one is heading out probably tomorrow to another forum member.

timjoebob
10-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I ordered mine yesterday. Velour, rider backrest, and shipped them my passenger backrest to modify too.

(Yes, I know... I have a Corbin seat right now, but still in search of the holy grail of comfort)

1951vbs
10-02-2013, 08:53 PM
I ordered mine yesterday. Velour, rider backrest, and shipped them my passenger backrest to modify too.

(Yes, I know... I have a Corbin seat right now, but still in search of the holy grail of comfort)

No offense meant, but after a bunch of seat collections on several sport touring and touring bikes I just don't mess with anything but Russell anymore. It is a bunch of money but you are done. End of story... I have tried Sargent, Corbin, Danny Grey, Mustang and a few others but if you want ALL DAY comfort Russell is it. To be fair I have heard very good things about Mayer seats as well but I do not need to look farther. As an example, don't laugh but so far the most comfortable 1000 mile plus day bike I have ever had was a Suzuki B-King WITH A RUSSELL SEAT! Better than 3 Electra Glides, Buell S3T, ST1300, Aprillia Futura, BMW K1200GT and Victory Vision.
It is not just the seat but how they help the ergonomics.

Scotrod
10-02-2013, 09:15 PM
X2 on RDL. Promised myself I wouldn't even fiddle-fart around with anything else on my 6. Been disappointed too many times before.

MichaelG
10-02-2013, 11:50 PM
X3 on the RDL. I know for a fact that I will not buy any other seat, ever again, that is not a Russell Day-Long saddle. I bought this F6B on a Saturday...called Russell 2 days later on a Monday...was told that the first available Ride-In appointment was not until June 12th...more than 2 months away. I scheduled the appointment...but knowing I "had" to ride the new bike to Tennessee in early May, I also called and scheduled to have a Rick Mayer seat done...as a temporary seat. Got the Rick Mayer seat done in early May, rode to Tennessee and back...hated the seat...sold it with an exchange for another OEM seat, and when my appointment time for Russell rolled along, had then make my 11th RDL...and this one is the BEST they have ever made for me.

I shall NEVER go to anyone else for an aftermarket seat again.

If YOU do not have a bad back, or do not ride long distances, then you may not want or need a RDL. But for those of us that do ride long distances, or have back issues, the very best seat in the world...is a Russell Day-Long saddle.

www.day-long.com :shhh:

1951vbs
10-13-2013, 03:31 PM
I rode to and from Barber Motorsports park yesterday (800 mile round trip) and my seat of the pants ride report is :yes::yes: on the Day-Long Saddle. Waaaaaay better than the stock seat and Miles is right, the velour is the way to go. No monkey butt on a hot day. I do wear LD shorts too but I have used them with all my seats and velour is cooler than leather and vinyl by a huge margin. I still have some nagging pain in my right knee even with my new Rivco pegs and KuryAkyn drop miniboards but not even a hint of TB (Tired Butt).

MichaelG
10-13-2013, 06:14 PM
I rode to and from Barber Motorsports park yesterday (800 mile round trip) and my seat of the pants ride report is :yes::yes: on the Day-Long Saddle. Waaaaaay better than the stock seat and Miles is right, the velour is the way to go. No monkey butt on a hot day. I do wear LD shorts too but I have used them with all my seats and velour is cooler than leather and vinyl by a huge margin. I still have some nagging pain in my right knee even with my new Rivco pegs and KuryAkyn drop miniboards but not even a hint of TB (Tired Butt).

"and Miles is right, the velour is the way to go". What ? Say that again. "and Miles is right, the velour is the way to go"

I thought that is what you said. Brother from South Carolina, I would never steer you wrong. :icon_cool:

Now, that Big Dawg from North Carolina...I will send him on a wild goose chase very chance I get. :icon_wink:

How can you have a state that is south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and call it...North (Carolina) :077:

BTW, Mike, I wear those LD Comfort riding shorts on every ride I do, and I would not leave home without them.

BARRYS770
10-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I just ordered my DLS. Next question. Where do I find a box large enough to ship the saddle? I know Miles would just say, "ride on out there, it's only 2500 miles each way".

Barry

Scotrod
10-13-2013, 07:27 PM
I just ordered my DLS. Next question. Where do I find a box large enough to ship the saddle?
Barry

I just got done shipping 2 of them in one 'box'. The 'box' I used was actually 2 very large 4 ft long boxes that I had stored in my attic, left over from other goodies. (I always save big boxes) It was somewhere near 48 X 24 X 16 or so when I morphed the 2 into one.

If your attic is not quite as well supplied as mine, you might get lucky at an Appliance retailer. (Stove/refrigerator) It will require some 'U-fab-it' knife and packing tape action,,, Lotsa packing tape. And 'stuffin',,,, (I keep the 'stuffin' as well, as long as it ain't them dayum 'peanuts'!).

When I run outta stuffin' I raid the wifes stack o' newspapers she saves for coupons....:wife:

MichaelG
10-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I just ordered my DLS. Next question. Where do I find a box large enough to ship the saddle? I know Miles would just say, "ride on out there, it's only 2500 miles each way".

Barry

Actually, I was going to suggest that you go to the U-Haul location closest to you, and find a box there. :icon_wink:

F6B-RICH
10-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Barry

You can also try putting two boxes together (open end to open end) making one larger box.

wishey1
10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
My I ask a question about the Russell saddle, is it higher or another way of asking
does it raise the seat height...?

TIA...

timjoebob
10-14-2013, 09:04 PM
One more question...

What was the turn-around time from RDL? I'm chompin at the bit.

(I know Miles' turn around time: ride in/ride out :icon_wink:)

1951vbs
10-14-2013, 09:18 PM
My I ask a question about the Russell saddle, is it higher or another way of asking
does it raise the seat height...?

TIA...

Russell takes your inseam, and other measurements into account when they build your saddle. Also you can tell them if you have concerns. My seat is about 1/2" higher than stock and I think Miles said his is about 1" higher. They need to have room to install the seat suspension but I think the stock saddle is tall enough. The nice thing about the design is that it is easy to move a few inches forward at stops to really get your feet down.

1951vbs
10-14-2013, 09:22 PM
One more question...

What was the turn-around time from RDL? I'm chompin at the bit.

(I know Miles' turn around time: ride in/ride out :icon_wink:)

This time of year the turn around is pretty quick, typically a few weeks wait and a week or so production. In the spring/summer it can be months. When you place an order they will tell you your production date. Even Miles had to wait a while for his ride in appt. Don't be afraid to call them on the phone the old fashioned way. They are quite reseptive and responsive.

Scotrod
10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
The nice thing about the design is that it is easy to move a few inches forward at stops to really get your feet down at stops.

Yep. Sometimes you have to scoot a little forward up out of the 'pocket' to comfortably flat-foot it. (Depends on a lot of factors, but it has been my experience) After a while , you don't even realize your doing it.

Turn around time is now advertised to be your production date + 10 days plus shipping. Last go-round a couple years ago was the first time I remember it being that long. My first RDL had a lot better turn-around time,,, Seemed like 5 days or so before I got notice of shipment back then,,,.

Depends on backlog, I guess. That, and it's always better to say 10 and maybe be quicker than say 5 and be 'late'.