PDA

View Full Version : Top 3

rider33
01-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Well howdy, 'not an F6B owner, yet, but I've been circling for awhile & the circles are getting tighter. Actually I've done a fair amount of cross-country travel by bike & I tend to notice
that if you are going to come across another bike in the middle of nowhere it tends to be one
of 3 types:
1. Big Tiwns
2. Boxers, or
3. Wings
Having tried the first two and walked away for various reasons, it's likely time to try the third.
I have ridden Wings over the years, 'loved the engine, just never the seating position (too tight) or the passenger throne (wife not a fan of travel by bike). Whenever I sit on an F6B tho, it just always feels right, like left or right coast tomorrow right. Thus a few assumptions to vet with the high milers before I get into deep:
1. range/safe 200+ mile range and on regular gas, right?
2. maintenance/ change the oil around 8 (if not before), tires 10-12, rinse and repeat?
3. heat/I've never really heard about anyone complaining about the heat on a Wing so
I would expect that is true of F6B's as well, right?

'Glad to see they added back cruise in '15, 'wish they would add back reverse and ABS but then again, that's what I get for not imigrating to Australia twenty years ago......

2wheelsforme
01-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Yes Yes and Yes. I think you will find nothing but F6B love here.

seadog
01-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Well howdy, 'not an F6B owner, yet, but I've been circling for awhile & the circles are getting tighter. Actually I've done a fair amount of cross-country travel by bike & I tend to notice
that if you are going to come across another bike in the middle of nowhere it tends to be one
of 3 types:
1. Big Tiwns
2. Boxers, or
3. Wings
Having tried the first two and walked away for various reasons, it's likely time to try the third.
I have ridden Wings over the years, 'loved the engine, just never the seating position (too tight) or the passenger throne (wife not a fan of travel by bike). Whenever I sit on an F6B tho, it just always feels right, like left or right coast tomorrow right. Thus a few assumptions to vet with the high milers before I get into deep:

2. maintenance/ change the oil around 8 (if not before), tires 10-12, rinse and repeat?
3. heat/I've never really heard about anyone complaining about the heat on a Wing so

'Glad to see they added back cruise in '15, 'wish they would add back reverse and ABS but then again, that's what I get for not imigrating to Australia twenty years ago......

Gas mileage if you stay out of the throttle I have seen 44 miles to the gallon and 38 when driving like there is no tomorrow.

Personally I would never take a bike 8 thousand miles between oil changes but that is just me. Some of the others here have gone more than that.

Heat What heat?

My biggest thing I don't like is winter, living in Michigan having to put the bike up for the season.
If your serious about an F6B Deluxe the prices are falling on these and a left over 15 or 16 brand new is the deal and don't let them talk you into full price on it as they are having trouble selling them and you should be able to find a deal for around 15,000.

rider33
01-22-2017, 08:48 PM
'thanks, I rarely go beyond 5k on oil unless I'm on tour tho this bike appears to be rather under stressed so I would expect it would do better than most if pushed. There are indeed deals to be had tho, that's part of what!s bringing me back. A '16 Deluxe w/cruise is quite a bit lower than the '13 base I looked at when they first came out. 'Good things come to those who wait a guess.

MisterB
01-22-2017, 09:31 PM
If this bike was shaped like a giant turd I'd still ride it. I may try to make it look less like a turd, but if it had to look like a turd then I'd live with it.
It certainly doesn't look like a turd and I just can't understand why it's not a top seller.

I've always been a commuter and short weekend rides kind of rider. Had my first 750 mile day last year and would've pushed on til 1000 but I had set up camp. Was out camping and riding for a week and could've done it for a month.
No heat issues, (tested in TX and UT), easy oil change, and 200+ miles per tank on regular. It seems like I've got about 50 to spare if I fill up at 200.

This bike rocks! If I won the lottery I'd buy a white one with cruise and call it done.
Low center of gravity makes it easy on my bad back, have never had a close call with dropping it. Got rid of my ST1300 cuz it was so top-heavy, couldn't get it out of the garage in the morning.
Some say it needs a 6th gear. While it would be nice I feel like we'd all be complaining about speeding tickets.
You'll curse all the plastic bodywork at some point, but do all of your farkling at once and get it over with.

Yes, I love the F6B. I'm a little pumped cuz I got 100 miles or so on it yesterday and damn I'm already planning another CO and UT trip.

JMartin
01-22-2017, 09:56 PM
This bike rocks! If I won the lottery I'd buy a white one with cruise and call it done.
Low center of gravity makes it easy on my bad back, have never had a close call with dropping it. Got rid of my ST1300 cuz it was so top-heavy, couldn't get it out of the garage in the morning.
Some say it needs a 6th gear. While it would be nice I feel like we'd all be complaining about speeding tickets.
You'll curse all the plastic bodywork at some point, but do all of your farkling at once and get it over with.

Yes, I love the F6B.

^^ That... right there. ^^

rider33
01-23-2017, 07:32 AM
... I just can't understand why it's not a top seller......

I was sort of surprised by that as well. Given the number of solo Wing jockeys I see, I thought a box less , lighter, less expensive Wing would do well. Part of it is pricing and content issues. When they came out F6B's had a list price lower than a Wing but heavily discounted Wings were easy to find while F6B pricing was firmer which lead to curious situations of a bike with less costing more. They also positioned it at the cruiser market, something that didn!t quite take.
The real problem may have been a classic Honda one, failure to update. I too had an ST1300.
When I bought it the FJR was on revision 3, had cruise & also cost less. I bought the ST anyway because it was bigger (I'm 6'2") but for most it was a though sell. An F6B with cruise priced several thousand below a Wing might have done better, what's basically happening now.

tiltingf6b
01-23-2017, 07:43 AM
:clap2:
Yes Yes and Yes. I think you will find nothing but F6B love here..notworthy.

jm21ddd15
01-23-2017, 08:02 AM
You will love the 6. You may add a few items, for your personal taste, but the bike itself ROCKS! Super motor. I think the majority of F6B riders, ride solo, as compared to the riders on Full Wings. Don't get me wrong, the 6 is a very good 2-up machine. That is just my observation. I never thought much about cruise control until I got this bike, but now, I do enjoy it.

Fla_rider
01-23-2017, 08:13 AM
1. Yes pretty close
2. Most us change oil every 5k. I changed my original tires at 14k the first time and I changed the back tire to the "Darkside" at 28k. I am at 32k now and the front looks like in the next k I have to change.
3. The plastics shields our legs from heat pretty good. A full wing has vents in case you get cold you could open up to warm your feet and ankles.

2wheelsforme
01-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Both my Hondas say in the Owners manual that the recommended oil change interval is 8K.

F6Dave
01-23-2017, 09:28 AM
I easily get 200 miles to a tank. Much better than my old carbureted Valkyries, that on a few occasions had mileage drop into the teens!

As for fuel, the regular they sell in high altitude locations like Colorado is only 85 octane. With that junk in the tank, I noticed some pinging on very hot days under hard acceleration. It's only momentary, as the engine management computer must correct it by retarding the timing, but I now use a higher grade of fuel.

I like the OEM tires. I get about 9500 miles from a rear, and much more from a front.

The dual radiator design of the Wing is brilliant. Not only does it route the heat to the outside of your legs, it also allows a steeper rake on the front forks for quicker handling.

Fla_rider
01-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Both my Hondas say in the Owners manual that the recommended oil change interval is 8K.

And that's fine. It's just easier to remember every 5k. Besides I can hear a difference around 5k, shifting becomes more clunky. So I'll stick 5k, you and the owners manual can change at 8k. :moon:

opas ride
01-23-2017, 10:48 AM
And that's fine. It's just easier to remember every 5k. Besides I can hear a difference around 5k, sifting becomes more clunky. So I'll stick 5k, you and the owners manual can change at 8k. :moon:

I am still old school and even though some go 8K on oil changes, per the recommend in the manual, I prefer to change at 4500/5000 miles...Seems to shift better and I feel better!!!....Ride safe

rider33
01-23-2017, 12:50 PM
uh oh, I feel a dreaded oil thread coming on. My sincere apologies to all....:)

wjduke
01-23-2017, 01:09 PM

I split the difference and go 6k :stirthepot:

six2go
01-23-2017, 01:47 PM

LOL! Yeah, ya can't get away from "oil & tires" on a motorcycle forum.

Here's another thought. I see that you separated "boxers and Wings" into different categories. I know exactly what you meant, but the Flat 6 of the Wing is actually a boxer. It just has more "fists" flying back & forth. :icon_biggrin:

seadog
01-23-2017, 03:21 PM

I know there are those out there that think 8 thousand miles is ok for oil changes and the oil today is as good as it gets but just the wear in the engine produces particles in the oil and the filter catches some but the smallest gets thru the filter and that is why I will never go that far on an oil change. The secret of longevity of an engine is clean oil and the cleaner you keep it the longer it lives. JMHO

rider33
01-23-2017, 03:33 PM
.... I see that you separated "boxers and Wings" into different categories. I know exactly what you meant, but the Flat 6 of the Wing is actually a boxer. It just has more "fists" flying back & forth. :icon_biggrin:

'true enough, at least these are not aimed directly at you shins! I actually love old airheads
and Guzzi's as well. My shins and knees, however, are not found of them at all.

2wheelsforme
01-23-2017, 05:37 PM
And that's fine. It's just easier to remember every 5k. Besides I can hear a difference around 5k, shifting becomes more clunky. So I'll stick 5k, you and the owners manual can change at 8k. :moon:

I did not say what interval I go by. I only stated a fact.

53driver
01-25-2017, 11:28 AM
LOL! Back to the originally scheduled programming....
Y'all crack me up.

of 3 types:
1. Big Tiwns
2. Boxers, or
3. Wings

Seating position - yes, a Wing is more forward than an F6B. If your spouse decides no more riding, solo seats have even more room and options. I'm running a Corbin Smuggler trunk on mine.

1. If you keep the RPMs below 3250, you are in that 41-44 mpg club and yes, 220+ miles per tankful.
Above that RPM, she starts getting thirsty. Real thirsty. 3500 RPM is ~80mph. 36-38 mpg, ~190 miles and the "feed me" light comes on.
My Isleen seems to really like 3500 RPM, especially on cooler days.

2. Routine maintenance is easy. Oil changes (whenever you choose to do them) are very easy, especially if you have a center stand. I don't know if you call "bleeding the brakes" routine maintenance but there are like 47 bleed points on this system and they have to be done in a certain order or all the air from your tires will leak into the brakes. :icon_wink:
I'm content to let my shop do the major work as plastic parts and I tend to have different opinions as to what should and should not bend to fit and how far it should bend before it runs out of elasticity.
Tires: Got 18k each on two different sets of Bridgestones. Currently running E4s just to try something different. I use FOBO TPMS and keep 41 in the rear and 39-40 up front. Much easier than crawling under the saddlebag to find the valve stem....

3. Heat. None. Nada. Sometimes I feel a bit on my jeans. But nothing like my antique HD (95 Heritage) nor my 97 Valk.

4. Cruise control? No thanks. I'm a pilot, hands on, controller type. Kury throttle boss is my "cruise."

Cheers,
Steve