PDA

View Full Version : Panel Removal and Corbin

ff73148
09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Tried to remove the lower panel to get at my battery and found out that with my saddle on it won't come off. PITA to remove the saddle just to get them off.

CarolinaRider
09-30-2013, 08:49 PM
I have only had my right side off once. It was pretty tight but if I recall I had to open the right saddle bag to make it happen.

unsub
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Yes the saddle bags need to be in the "open" position to remove that panel. It comes off very easily so if you have to force it you're doing something wrong.

timjoebob
09-30-2013, 09:16 PM
It's slightly easier with a stock seat. Impossible (IMO) with my Corbin seat.

Scotrod
09-30-2013, 09:57 PM
It's slightly easier with a stock seat. Impossible (IMO) with my Corbin seat.

Any idea why?

Hugs the Tupperware closer, or comes down further?

Had the LH panel off and had quite a time re-installing until I figured out a sequence of sorts,,,(OEM seat)

timjoebob
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
It seems that the rim (?) of the Corbinseat pan is so rigid and so tight to the panel cover, that you can't get your finger in there enough to get some leverage. Also, there's not enough clearance for the top of the panel to op out.

My seat had to come off before I could do any work with wiring my heated clothing outlet and my battery tender pigtail to the battery. Well, maybe it didn't HAVE to come off, but I didn't want to break any tabs. I also greased the grommets a bit to see if that might help in the future, but the fit is just too tight.

If you go to the Corbin site and look at the difference in position between the stock seat and the Corbin Dual Tour saddle (in Picture 10 of 22), it looks like the rim of the Corbin hangs about a half inch lower than the stock seat, eliminating that clearance you need to pop out the top of the panel.

A pain in the neck, to be sure.

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Good to know. Yet another reason not to have a Corbin saddle.

F6B-RICH
10-01-2013, 07:12 PM
I can't complain about taking my Corbin off to access the battery cover.I owned a 2010 Spyder RS and had to do a lot more to get to the battery on that machine so I am use to it :icon_biggrin:

BLACKBETTY12
10-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Tried to remove the lower panel to get at my battery and found out that with my saddle on it won't come off. PITA to remove the saddle just to get them off.

I noticed the same thing with my Corbin. It is a major pain in my opinion!

Darkknight
10-02-2013, 04:23 AM
I got a note from Fed Ex yesterday saying my Corbin saddle is to be ready to pick up this morning.
This is the unit I won on the F6B auction. I can't wait! I will probably take a half vacation day and leave at 11 to get and install it!!!!:icon_wink:

I will however plan to do any service or inspection under the side covers while the seat is off.

We probably have the month of October to ride before the winter weather starts up here in CT, so I'm pretty close to doing the year end service / inspection. I will ride through the winter whenever the temps are above 40 degrees and the roads aren't salty so who know... It would be nice to ride occaisionally throughout the winter.

dig rkmc
10-02-2013, 01:53 PM
I have had my Corbin seat since Laconia in June. This weekend I had to EMERGENCY access to the Battery along road (no HEX Head Tool to remove seat). My Battery lead became loose and I had NO Power when I turned key. I was Stranded until I got the Side cover off to access the battery. I ended up break the top inch off the Panel by mistake not knowing the Corbin seat needed to be removed (Crack is BEHIND THE SEAT...). NOT HAPPY. I have 9300 Miles and it just was time for the Battery Lead to become lose. Never had this Battery Problem before. I called and they said they have a Closer fit and would not do anything for me. So Here I am.....BE AWARE with the CORBIN on F6B.....

MSGT-R
10-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Don't blame Corbin because your battery terminals were loose, blame whoever installed the battery. If the Corbin seat fit loose, 'yall would be complaining about that.. :icon_rolleyes:

BLACKBETTY12
10-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Don't blame Corbin because your battery terminals were loose, blame whoever installed the battery. If the Corbin seat fit loose, 'yall would be complaining about that.. :icon_rolleyes:

I hear what you're saying, but the fact that we have to remove the seat to access the battery or do regular oil changes is BS! In saying that, maybe Corbin could have mentioned this on the website or something.

MSGT-R
10-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I've gotta remove my seat to access my battery on my VFR1200. No big deal to me. I'm sorry if that puts me on the top of the un-popularity list.

Scotrod
10-03-2013, 08:10 AM
I hear what you're saying, but the fact that we have to remove the seat to ..... ..... or do regular oil changes is BS! .

Hmm, shouldn't have to get anywhere near the seat or the side panels directly adjacent to the seat for an oil change,,, Please clarify,,,

Battery access,,, The old VTX seat had to be removed. (bolts). The Stratoliner seat came off with just a key, but battery was under another panel with fasteners involved,,,

F6B is the 1st bike I've owned that didn't require seat removal to access the battery,,,

F6B-RICH
10-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Scotrod I think most people anytime they work on their bike they disconnect the battery for safety.Doing a oil change and having no oil in it and by accident someone or you start it or possibly fan comes on and your hand might be near.I think its for safety but I never disconnect the battery but maybe I should :iduno:

MSGT-R
10-03-2013, 10:26 AM
We didn't touch my husband's 2005 battery for the first 5 years we owned it, and oil changes are no where near the seat. If you worry about some unknown person entering your garage and starting your bike, take the key out and put it in your pocket. Go buy a Remove Before Flight streamer and clip it to your ignition switch.

F6B-RICH
10-03-2013, 10:39 AM
We didn't touch my husband's 2005 battery for the first 5 years we owned it, and oil changes are no where near the seat. If you worry about some unknown person entering your garage and starting your bike, take the key out and put it in your pocket. Go buy a Remove Before Flight streamer and clip it to your ignition switch.

I think for most people its a habit that they do when you work on any engine with a battery.You would not want to work on a engine with a electric fan
and your hands are near the fan and for some reason the fan comes on.

Scotrod
10-03-2013, 12:57 PM
I never discon the batt unless perhaps I'm working on the electrical system /electronics. (might not even then, depends)

I'm sure a batt discon may be the safest, most fool-proof way to avoid certain perils, especially if you are not familiar with which peril's are applicable to your actions and/or the exact potential for each peril to occur,,,

One could describe the potential for each peril in each particular circumstance as a percentage, but,,,,,,,,,,,

It's a whole lot easier just to say "Step #1. Discon Batt" (whether or not it really matters!)

:icon_biggrin:

MichaelG
10-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Well....I.....never disconnect my battery for anything...unless I am working on...the battery. In the first 18,500 miles on this bike, the battery terminals never came loose...at all. I think Scotrod and I are brothers, because we think too much alike:icon_mrgreen:

If you are a person that "needs" to disconnect your bikes' battery so that you can do an engine oil change...then you need cycle therapy.:icon_rolleyes:

If you have hands that are small enough to fit up inside the area where the cooling fans on these bikes are...then you are too small a person to be riding this big of a bike :icon_razz:

Oh, and Terri, you will always be on the popular list with me.

MSGT-R
10-03-2013, 05:16 PM
:icon_mrgreen: Believe me, I've been on the shitlist of many after my years of being a Marine and later a Safetynazi.

F6B-RICH
10-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Miles my input was mostly from being a car mechanic.You do not want to be screwing around with a motor with a electric fan and it comes on.If you work on your motorcycle you
probably work on your car/truck like I do.I never disconnect my motorcycle battery for a oil change.But screwing around near the electric fan on a car/truck with the battery still
connected good luck with that. I need my fingers to count all my money :icon_biggrin:

BLACKBETTY12
10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I stand corrected on the fact that removing the panel has nothing to do with an oil change. Couldn't tell you exactly what I was thinking when I made that comment.:banghead
And I really don't care that the seat has to be removed on a number of other bikes to access the battery. The point is, Corbin should have told us the seat needs to be removed for side access!

Scotrod
10-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Would that have changed you mind regarding purchasing the seat? Remove seat to access battery = no deal?

MSGT-R
10-04-2013, 09:47 AM
The point is, Corbin should have told us the seat needs to be removed for side access!

Maybe Corbin didn't know. They are in the business of creating seats. Seats that fit the bike without gaps nor play that cause complaints, based upon the original seat pan coverage. They, in their rush to deadline, probably did not realize that their precision tollarance was a little too close.