PDA

View Full Version : Traxxion "Mega-Monty"

53driver
02-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Well, I done did it.
I was heading to NW Georgia for a ride with the "boys" and Traxxion (Woodstock, GA) had a Friday afternoon appointment open....

Sweet Mother-of-Pearl!
What a difference in handling from the stock suspension!
And the bike tracks perfectly straight hands off at any speed.
The steering column is SO smooth and SO effortless now.
- Those tapered "All Balls" bearings are smooth as a baby's butt.
The setup shines over railroad tracks and speedbumps. No slowing anymore.
Their version of a Fork Brace applies the forces to the forks lower than my SuperBrace did and doesn't destroy the trailing edge of my front fender at the same time. (grrrrr)
Between that brace and their Triple Tree, there is NO flex in the steering column.
Of course, when we took to the mountains in NW Georgia, the package really did shine beyond my expectations.
The suspension keeps the tires on the road. Period. No questions.
As many of you know I have a GoPro on my left engine guard and I'm used to watching the tire move up and down "a certain amount" in my videos. Now? Tire doesn't move nearly a third as much. It's amazing.
Lots of confidence in the bike and the feedback she's giving me in "very-spirited" riding conditions.

Yeah, it was 3 'large' but "buy once, cry once" is my motto for major purchases.
Plus they have a "Gold Wing 90 days same as cash" deal, so I spread out the damage a bit....
And Traxxion did the work.
They didn't wash & wax her, but they fixed a few nickle and dime things for me

Two of my riding partners (Full Wingers) went for a quick ride and came back all smiles.
One has an appointment in late March...

Cheers,
Steve
(and yeah, I'm grinning big time!!!)

Mega-Monty is:
AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit
Traxxion Dynamics “Omni” Fork Spring Kit
Traxx-Rite Billet Triple Clamp (the "Full Monty" doesn't include this)
Fork Brace with Bug Guards
"All Balls” Brand Tapered Roller Steering Head Bearings
Rebound Adjustable Fork Caps
Fork Seals
Inner and Outer Fork Bushings as required
Traxxion Dynamics’ Rear Shock Absorber and Spring Kit
Traxxion Dynamics’ Braided Stainless Steel Shock Hose
Labor to Remove and Install Front Forks
Labor to Rebuild Forks and Install Fork Kit
Labor to Remove Shock, Rebuild Remote Adjuster, Install Hose, and Reinstall
Labor to Remove and Install Steering Bearings

willtill
02-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Steve,

How long did they take to do it? Was it an all day event?

I also have read somewhere that periodic maintenance is more frequent with the Traxxion front suspension upgrade. Is that true?

53driver
02-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Steve,

How long did they take to do it? Was it an all day event?

I also have read somewhere that periodic maintenance is more frequent with the Traxxion front suspension upgrade. Is that true?

Will,
I arrived at ~1130.
Tech test rode Isleen and she went into surgery at noon.
Got a tour of the place
(very interesting! They make ALL their own parts on CNC machines there for Quality Assurance and then Penske actually assembles the shock & cartridges)
Went to lunch.
Done by 1530.
Test ride and I was out the door by 1600.

First class outfit there.

Periodic maintenance:
25k replace fork bearings as required
50k service entire system
So, 25k intervals....not bad.
I haven't bounced it against the scheduled maintenance plan in my owner's manual yet.

Cheers,
Steve

StraightWings
02-28-2017, 01:12 PM
THEN you'll find out what that system is for, Steve.

An aside: keeping my eyes open for an F6B-D GOOD condition, lower miles.

53driver
02-28-2017, 01:26 PM
THEN you'll find out what that system is for, Steve.

An aside: keeping my eyes open for an F6B-D GOOD condition, lower miles.

Thank you sir!
I did have some serious fun with Isleen on Blood Mountain and the Richard B Russell highways.

As far as used F6Bs are concerned, here is a link to members selling theirs:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9091-Bikes-Currently-for-Sale-03-Jan-2017

Cheers,
Steve

Audiochris90
02-28-2017, 01:56 PM
I am so jealous!

Jimmytee
02-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Let's ride then.

53driver
02-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Let's ride then.

James,
I will have to find a foundry that can make some brass doo-dads the size of yours before I can accept your offer.
Then I will have to learn to use them.

However, one doesn't get better without chasing someone better, so let's do it.
I can be in NW Georgia inside of 6 hours.....when I'm not teaching. Lol.

Cheers,
Steve

motozeke
02-28-2017, 09:20 PM
I'm selling my VFR in April and I am seriously considering taking the proceeds and putting them into suspension upgrades for my F6B-D. Definitely not crazy about the stock suspension.

tiltingf6b
03-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Well, I done did it.
I was heading to NW Georgia for a ride with the "boys" and Traxxion (Woodstock, GA) had a Friday afternoon appointment open....

Sweet Mother-of-Pearl!
Their version of a Fork Brace applies the forces to the forks lower than my SuperBrace did and doesn't destroy the trailing edge of my front fender at the same time. (grrrrr)
Between that brace and their Triple Tree, there is NO flex in the steering column.
Of course, when we took to the mountains in NW Georgia, the package really did shine beyond my expectations.
As many of you know I have a GoPro on my left engine guard and I'm used to watching the tire move up and down "a certain amount" in my videos. Now? Tire doesn't move nearly a third as much. It's amazing.
Lots of confidence in the bike and the feedback she's giving me in "very-spirited" riding conditions.

Yeah, it was 3 'large' but "buy once, cry once" is my motto for major purchases.
Plus they have a "Gold Wing 90 days same as cash" deal, so I spread out the damage a bit....

Two of my riding partners (Full Wingers) went for a quick ride and came back all smiles.

Cheers,
Steve

Mega-Monty is:
Fork Seals

I have the full monty on a 2015 Indian Scout and by all means worth every penny - the only reason I haven't bitten the Traxxion bullet on my F6B yet is I am still considering triking it so the wife will climb on board once in a while.

F6B1911
03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Well, I done did it. Yeah, it was 3 'large' but "buy once, cry once" is my motto for major purchases. Cheers, Steve (and yeah, I'm grinning big time!!!) Yeah, you can recover that at the Rally by offering test rides on the Tail, $100.00 per ride.

53driver
03-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Yeah, you can recover that at the Rally by offering test rides on the Tail, $100.00 per ride.

You can feel the difference just riding in a tight circle.
At the Rally, I will let people ride her around if I deem them competent and they want to feel the difference.
But on the Tail...hmmm. Might require that significant deposit you mentioned....
Cheers,
Steve

F6B1911
03-01-2017, 11:22 AM
You can feel the difference just riding in a tight circle. At the Rally, I will let people ride her around if I deem them competent and they want to feel the difference. But on the Tail...hmmm. Might require that significant deposit you mentioned.... Cheers, Steve What could possibly happen in a mere 11 miles?

Audiochris90
03-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Ive seen traxxions old goldwing presentation on YouTube. Very convincing. Are there any criticisms of the set up? Is the ride quality less plush? Does it soak up bumps?

53driver
03-01-2017, 07:34 PM
What could possibly happen in a mere 11 miles?

It's the 318 curves that have my attention.....

53driver
03-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Ive seen traxxions old goldwing presentation on YouTube. Very convincing. Are there any criticisms of the set up? Is the ride quality less plush? Does it soak up bumps?

Criticisms? - No. I honestly haven't tested the limits of the envelope and I just don't know what I don't know yet.

Less plush? - Not sure as my parameters were changed.
- Traxxion considers the tires the "first part" of the suspension and their recommended pressure is 34/38
- I haven't seen where the rear suspension preload is set yet. it's allegedly set for my 210lb butt and 15 pounds of gear.
- It did absorb bumps and railroad tracks effortlessly.
- The tires do move less (see GoPro bit in first thread) so I imagine that the suspension is staying more in its optimum operable range, rather than finding the extremes.

Soak up bumps? - I wouldn't say that, you still feel them, but I would definitely hypothesize that I'm feeling a lot less

Testing concepts:
- I'm going to ad a few psi's to the tires and see what that does to the ride. 36/40.
- I'm going to see where the rear preload is set and stiffen that a bit
- Calling Traxxion to ask if the Trax Triple Tree altered the rake/trail any.

Recommendations for anyone:
- put the All Balls tapered bearings in the steering column. Just do it.
- stiffen the fork play. Get a SuperBrace, the Traxxion Brace, Helibars, whatever you can do to lessen the flex between the tubes
- realize that the most under engineered part of this bike is the front suspension and then do something about it if you are interested in spirited riding. (If not, put a CT on the back and call it good. :stirthepot: )

Cheers,
Steve

Audiochris90
03-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Wow, thats a big change on tire pressures. I find my stock suspension with 39 front and 40 rear right for me at 220 lbs. I run these pressures for the tire wear issues others have mentioned. Were you at a similar tire pressure before? Traxxion claims that any tire cupping issues are fully resolved by their upgrade. Also the anti dive system is defeated during the installation. The new suspension can fully support the bike in hard braking and some load transfer is desirable and normal. Im thinking the traxxion upgrade is a game changer. I want one.

53driver
03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Wow, thats a big change on tire pressures. I find my stock suspension with 39 front and 40 rear right for me at 220 lbs. I run these pressures for the tire wear issues others have mentioned. Were you at a similar tire pressure before? Traxxion claims that any tire cupping issues are fully resolved by their upgrade. Also the anti dive system is defeated during the installation. The new suspension can fully support the bike in hard braking and some load transfer is desirable and normal. Im thinking the traxxion upgrade is a game changer. I want one.

I ran 40/41 before. For tire wear and I like feeling the road.

When I call Traxxion about the rake/trail, I'm going to ask about the anti-dive system as well.
The bike braked EXTREMELY well before and now it's nothing short of magic.

It IS a game changer...I'm just trying to learn the new rules of this new game.
Cheers,
Steve

tiltingf6b
03-02-2017, 07:44 AM
Well, I done did it.

Sweet Mother-of-Pearl!

Cheers,
Steve

Mega-Monty is:
Fork Seals

Man oh man - I would love to take a spin on your baby girl - seems like she's all grown up!

Redlinez
03-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Wow, congrats! Other than the seat and windshield, the suspension is definitely my number one gripe. Sounds like that's a great remedy, just too much for my blood.

53driver
03-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Wow, congrats! Other than the seat and windshield, the suspension is definitely my number one gripe. Sounds like that's a great remedy, just too much for my blood.

It's a lot of coin - no question there. I'm fortunate that I can make this work, hopefully without the little missus finding out! :nono: :yikes: :spank:

There are "less expensive" options:
JimmyT wrote on a different thread about the Progressive cartridges; the dude on the Yellow Wing that was at the hotel same as our Rally in Arkansas - that seemingly makes a living tearing up roads - has had both the Traxxion and the Progressives and he preferred the Progressives, so that's what JimmyT got.
Waiting on Jimmy to install those bad boys and then we're going to go play....

As I wrote, for anyone, at a minimum, do the All Balls tapered bearings and some sort of fork bracing system.

Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
03-02-2017, 02:27 PM
It's a lot of coin - no question there. I'm fortunate that I can make this work, hopefully without the little missus finding out! :nono: :yikes: :spank:

There are "less expensive" options:
JimmyT wrote on a different thread about the Progressive cartridges; the dude on the Yellow Wing that was at the hotel same as our Rally in Arkansas - that seemingly makes a living tearing up roads - has had both the Traxxion and the Progressives and he preferred the Progressives, so that's what JimmyT got.
Waiting on Jimmy to install those bad boys and then we're going to go play....

As I wrote, for anyone, at a minimum, do the All Balls tapered bearings and some sort of fork bracing system.

Cheers,
Steve

Just to be clear, he didn't really say he preferred the Progressive route. As in ,he wasn't making a statement that one was better overall than the other. What he said when I asked his opinion, was that for the money he would just install the Progressive Monotubes, change head bearings, and install a Progressive spring on the OEM shock. That was based upon his experience. I am tearing into my front end this week. Would've already, but other stuff keeps coming up.

I'll add that I am doing the work myself,which isn't an option with the Traxxion upgrade. So you have to figure installation cost into the equation if you are not doing the work yourself. When you do this, the cost differences ,I'M sure would diminish

seadog
03-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Well, I done did it.

Sweet Mother-of-Pearl!

Cheers,
Steve

Mega-Monty is:
Fork Seals

I'm glad someone has big bucks to throw at their bike, us poor guys will just have to keep on keepin on with our 250 dirt bike springs and our rotten anti- dive setup. It would be nice to do that but I'm just looking at putting fresh oil in the forks in the spring and that will be enough I hope!

willtill
03-02-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm glad someone has big bucks to throw at their bike, us poor guys will just have to keep on keepin on with out 250 dirt bike springs and our rotten anti- dive setup. It would be nice to do that but I'm just looking at putting fresh oil in the forks in the spring and that will be enough I hope!

Will that be motorcycle oil or Rotella Seadog? :-)

Circle-5
03-02-2017, 04:59 PM
I'd really like to know how Progressive compares to Traxxion, for a fraction of the cost. Not expecting Traxxion perfection, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Progressive shocks in the past. Either that, or I must remember to buy a winning lottery ticket. There is no question that the F6B front end deserves better than what Honda put into it ...

53driver
03-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Just to be clear, he didn't really say he preferred the Progressive route. As in ,he wasn't making a statement that one was better overall than the other. What he said when I asked his opinion, was that for the money he would just install the Progressive Monotubes, change head bearings, and install a Progressive spring on the OEM shock. That was based upon his experience. I am tearing into my front end this week. Would've already, but other stuff keeps coming up.

I'll add that I am doing the work myself,which isn't an option with the Traxxion upgrade. So you have to figure installation cost into the equation if you are not doing the work yourself. When you do this, the cost differences ,I'M sure would diminish

Thanks for clarifying JimmyT.
I know I don't like to be misquoted and I'm sure he doesn't like it either.
Best of luck with the install!

$$$ breakdown for Mega-Monty:
Labor was $500
Triple clamp: $500
Fork Brace kit: $300
Two Cartridges: $1000
Cartridge Install Kit: $200
Rear Shock: $575
Bushings/Seals: $65
Package discount of $154

I thought you could buy any of those parts from Traxxion or their reps - you don't have to have them do the work.
I'm not as talented as JimmyT though.
Would have spent well beyond 5 hours doing :banghead:
I value my time at $100/hr so it was an easy decision for me.

Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
03-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks for clarifying JimmyT.
I know I don't like to be misquoted and I'm sure he doesn't like it either.
Best of luck with the install!

$$$ breakdown for Mega-Monty:
Labor was $500
Triple clamp: $500
Fork Brace kit: $300
Two Cartridges: $1000
Cartridge Install Kit: $200
Rear Shock: $575
Bushings/Seals: $65
Package discount of $154

I thought you could buy any of those parts from Traxxion or their reps - you don't have to have them do the work.
I'm not as talented as JimmyT though.
Would have spent well beyond 5 hours doing :banghead:
I value my time at $100/hr so it was an easy decision for me.

Cheers,
Steve

It was my understanding and from some places I've read, that installation must be done by an Authorized Traxxion dealer. I know that Wing Stuff has some limited items from Traxxion that you can purchase. I looked into several options, including the Race Tech. Their description was vague to me on what would be needed for the front. The Progressive cartridges eliminated this part. Haven't yet settled on what I want to do for the rear shock. I may leave it for another season, partially because I'm indecisive.

Jimmytee
03-02-2017, 06:46 PM
It was my understanding and from some places I've read, that installation must be done by an Authorized Traxxion dealer. I know that Wing Stuff has some limited items from Traxxion that you can purchase. I looked into several options, including the Race Tech. Their description was vague to me on what would be needed for the front. The Progressive cartridges eliminated this part. Haven't yet settled on what I want to do for the rear shock. I may leave it for another season, partially because I'm indecisive.

BTW, I noticed you have the smiley GIFs . They still don't seem to be working for me. Any word?

53driver
03-02-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm glad someone has big bucks to throw at their bike, us poor guys will just have to keep on keepin on with out 250 dirt bike springs and our rotten anti- dive setup. It would be nice to do that but I'm just looking at putting fresh oil in the forks in the spring and that will be enough I hope!

I'll be brutally frank here....I spent my entire 24 year military career scrimping and investing so when I retired I would not HAVE to work ever again.
I know you also served SeaDog, and you know what we got paid monthly, but I'm finding myself taking unusual umbrage to your comment.
I'm hoping this isn't an "enlisted" -> "officer" dig......and I'm sure it isn't, you're better than that.

All of my TAD per diem went to investments.
All of my flight pay went to investments.
My wife cut coupons and shopped only sales.
She cooked all foods from scratch and we seldom went out to dinner - mostly because of the kids food allergies.
Plus, she doesn't have the usual $$$ requirements of that particular specie (makeup, shoes, hair, nails, etc - not required in her world)
We never did without and the kids always had enough and did very well in school such that they got full rides to good universities.
My wife managed the investments quite skillfully and now we are "comfortable" with neither of us working.
We've always lived within our means and haven't bought anything "on time" since our 2002 15 year mortgage.
Not buying a Aston Martin DB-12 when our '98 Maxima dies, but will pay cash for something practical.

So yeah, I've got resources allocated to my passions.
And I'm almost sorry if it offends anyone that I'm not apologetic about it.
I fully intended to live loudly from age 47 until I die.
I'm 54 now and having a fricking blast and it only keeps getting better and better.

Cheers,
Steve

53driver
03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
BTW, I noticed you have the smiley GIFs . They still don't seem to be working for me. Any word?

The smileys are only working for me because I am doing them manually.
:jerkit:

seadog
03-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Will that be motorcycle oil or Rotella Seadog? :-)

Mine still says motorcycle oil on it and doesn't have a picture of a diesel truck. You say all oils of the same rating are the same so ask a truck driver if he would be willing to put 44 quarts of motorcycle oil in his rig and haul 80,000 pounds across the country, I sure wouldn't do that, I would have Shell Rotella in it for sure, excellent Diesel oil.

seadog
03-02-2017, 07:21 PM
I'll be brutally frank here....I spent my entire 24 year military career scrimping and investing so when I retired I would not HAVE to work ever again.
I know you also served SeaDog, and you know what we got paid monthly, but I'm finding myself taking unusual umbrage to your comment.
I'm hoping this isn't an "enlisted" -> "officer" dig......and I'm sure it isn't, you're better than that.

All of my TAD per diem went to investments.
All of my flight pay went to investments.
My wife cut coupons and shopped only sales.
She cooked all foods from scratch and we seldom went out to dinner - mostly because of the kids food allergies.
Plus, she doesn't have the usual $$$ requirements of that particular specie (makeup, shoes, hair, nails, etc - not required in her world)
We never did without and the kids always had enough and did very well in school such that they got full rides to good universities.
My wife managed the investments quite skillfully and now we are "comfortable" with neither of us working.
We've always lived within our means and haven't bought anything "on time" since our 2002 15 year mortgage.
Not buying a Aston Martin DB-12 when our '98 Maxima dies, but will pay cash for something practical.

So yeah, I've got resources allocated to my passions.
And I'm almost sorry if it offends anyone that I'm not apologetic about it.
I fully intended to live loudly from age 47 until I die.
I'm 54 now and having a fricking blast and it only keeps getting better and better.

Cheers,
Steve

I spent all my money on one worthless child, trying to save him from himself, something I now regret and he never once said, Thanks Dad. I made good money all my life after the service and should have been saving more than throwing it away on an ungrateful child. But we all have our cross to bear and now on fixed income coming up with that kind of cash is not in the offing. I have no trouble maintaining the bike but spending on the nicer stuff will have to wait until a pile of cash falls in the front yard or I win a substantial amount from the lottery. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.....

53driver
03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
I spent all my money on one worthless child, trying to save him from himself, something I now regret and he never once said, Thanks Dad. I made good money all my life after the service and should have been saving more than throwing it away on an ungrateful child. But we all have our cross to bear and now on fixed income coming up with that kind of cash is not in the offing. I have no trouble maintaining the bike but spending on the nicer stuff will have to wait until a pile of cash falls in the front yard or I win a substantial amount from the lottery. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.....

Understand crosses to bear.
I don't know why that got my hair ruffed.
Anyway...no hard feelings.

Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
03-02-2017, 08:55 PM
I could afford to spend the bucks on a full "Traxxion" set-up if I felt the need..But for now, and my style of riding, I will leave the bike alone...For my money and interests, my dealer, who has sold "gobs" of trikes, many, many, Goldwings etc. tells me I should be fine with the All-Balls bearings, Progressive fork springs, maybe a fork brace and new heavier fork oil....When the time comes down the road, maybe, just maybe, if I keep the bike, I might do what they suggest and be happy....You younger guys can spend what you want on the "Traxxion" deal, but for me it would just be a waste of good money!!!..JMHO.

53driver
03-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I could afford to spend the bucks on a full "Traxxion" set-up if I felt the need..But for now, and my style of riding, I will leave the bike alone...For my money and interests, my dealer, who has sold "gobs" of trikes, many, many, Goldwings etc. tells me I should be fine with the All-Balls bearings, Progressive fork springs, maybe a fork brace and new heavier fork oil....When the time comes down the road, maybe, just maybe, if I keep the bike, I might do what they suggest and be happy....You younger guys can spend what you want on the "Traxxion" deal, but for me it would just be a waste of good money!!!..JMHO.

Well spoken sir.
I know I am keeping the bike in its two wheeled state for a VERY long time.
And I like to bend her around corners....

Like I wrote, the tapered bearings and the fork brace will make a significant improvement in any F6B.
And we'll read JimmyT's evaluation of the Progressive struts hopefully very soon.

Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
03-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Well spoken sir.
I know I am keeping the bike in its two wheeled state for a VERY long time.
And I like to bend her around corners....

Like I wrote, the tapered bearings and the fork brace will make a significant improvement in any F6B.
And we'll read JimmyT's evaluation of the Progressive struts hopefully very soon.

Cheers,
Steve
If I get off my ass. I got home form work, yeah that is STILL a BIG part o my vocabulary, put my laptop back together. Had tore it apart to replace the CPU fan and it came yesterday. Then the wife had bought the Blue Ray "Doctor Strange" . Just finished that and it's 9:00 . Almost ready to go to bed and start the cycle over again. That's life. I will probably get the forks done this weekend if I can stay off the Valkyrie. Really, I've got several things going on with the B and debating getting my seat redone.

53driver
03-02-2017, 09:42 PM
If I get off my ass. I got home form work, yeah that is STILL a BIG part o my vocabulary, put my laptop back together. Had tore it apart to replace the CPU fan and it came yesterday. Then the wife had bought the Blue Ray "Doctor Strange" . Just finished that and it's 9:00 . Almost ready to go to bed and start the cycle over again. That's life. I will probably get the forks done this weekend if I can stay off the Valkyrie. Really, I've got several things going on with the B and debating getting my seat redone.

I did say "hopefully", my friend.
You'll get to it when you do. Period.
In the mean time, I'm going to learn my new game.

Cheers,
Steve

Audiochris90
03-03-2017, 12:49 AM
Im eating spaghetti for the next 2 months to afford the traxxion update.!!!

willtill
03-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Im eating spaghetti for the next 2 months to afford the traxxion update.!!!

Ramen is cheaper. And on the weekends, you can splurge and crack an egg into it while it is boiling

DMAGOLDRDR
03-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Steve,
I read through most of your posts about your upgrade but really didn't find what it was that had you make the change. Were there certain issues such as suspension hop or a wiggle in long sweeping corners? or just that you were after a better ride?

I never liked the rear suspension on my 6. I am happy with the handling and the front suspension seems to do a good job for me but as one of the guys at Traxxion said " the best you know is the best you have had" .
I have watched all the info videos Traxxion put out know the rear spring needs to be changed but I just haven't felt (for me personally) the work involved in the spring swap is worth my experimenting as I do all my own work and may not get it right the first time.

Redlinez
03-03-2017, 08:51 AM
I guess I need to look into those head bearings and Progressive stuff at some point. Any upgrade that really improves the suspension for those prices should be worth it. No car or bike I've owned didn't benefit from a few performance upgrades.

53driver
03-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Steve,
I read through most of your posts about your upgrade but really didn't find what it was that had you make the change. Were there certain issues such as suspension hop or a wiggle in long sweeping corners? or just that you were after a better ride?

I never liked the rear suspension on my 6. I am happy with the handling and the front suspension seems to do a good job for me but as one of the guys at Traxxion said " the best you know is the best you have had" .
I have watched all the info videos Traxxion put out know the rear spring needs to be changed but I just haven't felt (for me personally) the work involved in the spring swap is worth my experimenting as I do all my own work and may not get it right the first time.

I'd been contemplating it for a long time - any suspension upgrade - as I had the 30-40 mph hands off wobble, I actively didn't like the rear shock performance (as you mentioned), the front end flexing in sweepers, and doing who knows what in technical twisties.
I do enjoy this bike to the edges of her performance envelope
The SuperBrace helped, but I still had the wobble and my new E4 tires were already wearing funny.
It wasn't right.

At 45k, I was looking at new steering head bearings and a fork servicing soon.
My riding mentor has a 2003 Wing with the Full Monty and swears by it.
Two riders I teach with have Full Monty Wings and they compete in those cone trial things - they also recommended it.
I had never seen the Traxxion videos.

I went with the Mega-Monty more as an impulse purchase just to "complete the set" and stiffening up those fork tubes at the top with that Triple Tree seemed logical.

So, in summary:
- I was due for servicing
- I knew there were issues in the stock suspension
- I had qualified recommendations
- They had an opening the day I was supposed to be in that area.
- I had the resources to do it
I did it.
I ain't looking back.
The difference is amazing.

Cheers,
Steve

DMAGOLDRDR
03-03-2017, 12:46 PM
I am sure it is like riding a new machine.

It sounds to me as though the work you had done wasn't expensive.. it was priceless. Enjoy the ride and thanks for your input on the upgrade.

seadog
03-04-2017, 01:07 PM

I watch a tear down video on the redoing the front forks with progressive springs and seals and that seem to me to be quite the project. Just getting the front forks off is a task. Let alone tearing them down and redoing them and fresh oil. It was on a full wing but I'm sure the F6B is an equal challenge.

StonedInNy
03-04-2017, 01:36 PM
I have a appointment with them May 1st . Riding down from New York and taking 5days to get home through the hills. Very glad to be reading these great reviews.

3Chief
03-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Sooo....does anyone know if the authorized service places are as expedient as the home shop?

StonedInNy
03-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Sooo....does anyone know if the authorized service places are as expedient as the home shop?

When i spoke to them on the phone they spoke highly of a dealer much closer to me. I would think anyplace they suggest going to be very reputable.

Apache1
03-04-2017, 07:40 PM
I'd been contemplating it for a long time - any suspension upgrade - as I had the 30-40 mph hands off wobble, I actively didn't like the rear shock performance (as you mentioned), the front end flexing in sweepers, and doing who knows what in technical twisties.
I do enjoy this bike to the edges of her performance envelope
The SuperBrace helped, but I still had the wobble and my new E4 tires were already wearing funny.
It wasn't right.

At 45k, I was looking at new steering head bearings and a fork servicing soon.
My riding mentor has a 2003 Wing with the Full Monty and swears by it.
Two riders I teach with have Full Monty Wings and they compete in those cone trial things - they also recommended it.
I had never seen the Traxxion videos.

I went with the Mega-Monty more as an impulse purchase just to "complete the set" and stiffening up those fork tubes at the top with that Triple Tree seemed logical.

So, in summary:
- I was due for servicing
- I knew there were issues in the stock suspension
- I had qualified recommendations
- They had an opening the day I was supposed to be in that area.
- I had the resources to do it
I did it.
I ain't looking back.
The difference is amazing.

Cheers,
Steve

I have looked high and low for a similar ride complaint as mine. I"ve got a 13 deluxe with 53k miles on her. The initial complaint was the bike just felt squirrelly at highway speeds on any road. The best way I can describe the ride is...it feels like riding on a road with rain grooves, but not that pronounced. I thought for sure All Balls would fix that and make it ride like a new bike! Wrong, it seemed to make it worse. I have a superbrace installed and had the anti dive shim installed. I"ve removed each item separately and checked ride, no joy! Then I scrapped the OEM tires and installed a set of Cobras, noticeable difference, but still there. I then backed the rear shock down to 15 clicks from 25 or so and it seems to ride much better, I think! The squirrelly feel is still there, just not so sharp, like the softer setting is absorbing some of it. I've put almost 27k on the bike since I bought it used approx 16 months ago. When I first got it, I was impressed with the solid feel compared to my HD. I'm not sure I know what a worn out suspension feels like, but I sure don't like the way my bike rides now! My wife is tired of hearing me complain after each ride, and I'm getting tired of it myself!!! So, I have the All Balls, Superbrace, brand new set of Cobras, and rear shock set at 15 clicks! Any higher than that just makes it worse! All the articles I've read say the front suspension is the weakest link. Can!t afford a Traxion set up, but have got to do something! Would the suspension be the cause of my ride being so sloppy? Sorry for the Rant, thnx

53driver
03-04-2017, 07:44 PM
I spoke to Traxxion (Dan) yesterday on these topics:
1. The Anti-Dive. This is completely Disabled with the Traxxion modification.
2. Selling parts vice going to one of their facilities or contractors for install. The left fork "often" requires some lathing for the Traxxion cartridge and Traxxion wants to ensure this is performed properly to their specs. They will sell their products, but they HIGHLY recommend one of their dealers do the work. If you remove your forks and ship them, that'll work for Traxxion too.
3. Triple Tree Rake & Trail. Are the same as stock. They make a triple tree for triking that extends the rake a bit, but their two wheeled mod has the same rake & trail as factory.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating a decision.

Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
03-04-2017, 08:32 PM
I have looked high and low for a similar ride complaint as mine. I"ve got a 13 deluxe with 53k miles on her. The initial complaint was the bike just felt squirrelly at highway speeds on any road. The best way I can describe the ride is...it feels like riding on a road with rain grooves, but not that pronounced. I thought for sure All Balls would fix that and make it ride like a new bike! Wrong, it seemed to make it worse. I have a superbrace installed and had the anti dive shim installed. I"ve removed each item separately and checked ride, no joy! Then I scrapped the OEM tires and installed a set of Cobras, noticeable difference, but still there. I then backed the rear shock down to 15 clicks from 25 or so and it seems to ride much better, I think! The squirrelly feel is still there, just not so sharp, like the softer setting is absorbing some of it. I've put almost 27k on the bike since I bought it used approx 16 months ago. When I first got it, I was impressed with the solid feel compared to my HD. I'm not sure I know what a worn out suspension feels like, but I sure don't like the way my bike rides now! My wife is tired of hearing me complain after each ride, and I'm getting tired of it myself!!! So, I have the All Balls, Superbrace, brand new set of Cobras, and rear shock set at 15 clicks! Any higher than that just makes it worse! All the articles I've read say the front suspension is the weakest link. Can!t afford a Traxion set up, but have got to do something! Would the suspension be the cause of my ride being so sloppy? Sorry for the Rant, thnx

Not sure. Tires and the head bearings would be my first thoughts . I've never thought my B to feel "squirrelly" at any speed. You sure your head stem/bearings are tightened correctly? Have you rechecked them since installing the All Balls?

Apache1
03-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Not sure. Tires and the head bearings would be my first thoughts . I've never thought my B to feel "squirrelly" at any speed. You sure your head stem/bearings are tightened correctly? Have you rechecked them since installing the All Balls?

Haven't rechecked, but there is no side to side swing of the bars when jacked up. They were really tight when initially installed, seemed to feel EVERY twitch of the bike. I've had them installed approx 1500 miles. When I removed the fork brace, the bike felt more "soft", the brace definitely tightened things up. I'm wondering if it is suspension, how can you tell if it's coming from the front or the rear?

StraightWings
03-04-2017, 08:52 PM
I'll start by saying: I don't own an F6B. I'll conclude that thought by saying: it is a definite down the road. I ran into another 1800A in FL that I couldn't pass up the other day, or I'd be looking for one now. I fragged to say that in the near future my GL1800A will be a little to cumbersome, and my '14 Valkyrie is a straight out balls-to-the-walls day-rod monster. After taking Steve's F6B-D across FL and back (and thanks for the test-run, bro Steve), it impressed me that the F6B it is an excellent cross-over: lighter, hence quicker in all senses than the 1800, and closer to the 1800 in comfort by a lot more than the Valk is. The Valk is 100lbs lighter and again, MUCH quicker than both of it's brothers. Just not long-haul comfy. I'd rather pretty soon trim down to one 'cross-over'. F6B-D, here we come.

It seems like, and I could get stuff thrown at me here: the F6B is a GL1800 with some parts missing, and a couple tweaks. The handling geometrics are pretty much the same. Hence, I'll relate the following, in answer to some of the questions in this thread.

I think the Traxxion system is best put on by Traxxion themselves, and if I were within 1000 miles of them, I wouldn't go to a dealer (and technically, I am one of them). I'd make a date, like Steve did, have a nice road trip, one stationary day, and the trip back, whooping like a banshee at the improvement. Seems they can do it quicker, cheaper, and better at the 'factory'. After all: they designed it. And just a side-note: I work slow and meticulously on my Goldwings. It takes me 4 hours to swap out the rear shock, although probably 1 hour of that is detailing odds and ends on the re-install of the fuel tank through to the shelter trims. Were I to do the Mega Monty, it would be another 4 hours for the front end. It would definitely be done right, but there's a flat book-rate that is expected on these. I wouldn't make a lot per hour for the full 8 hour day, so I simply refer it to the guy in the next town who needs the work.

Overall, it sounds like the home team at TD can do it in about 4.5 hours, and it is done. Methinks maybe there's a couple guys on the job if it is done that expediently. That's good value for the bucks you pay for the labor there.

Re: the handling: You would have to be sheer nuts to try and stay on my butt on an 1800 through the Rockies back-roads when my throttle gets glued to ON. I do not have the Mega Monty, nor the Full Monty: I have the forks, brace, neck-bearings and the TD rear shock setup, but not the triple-tree-yoke. Nevertheless, I've been in at least one situation with this suspension where I didn't even have the time to pucker up to kiss my butt goodbye-- I was already through the mess without a wobble or hitch of any kind before the pucker was half formulated. Had I been on a stocker, it would have been up to sheer ability and experience to stay on the road, adding a touch of luck to both of those.

I have a good friend who rides a lot like me in the canyons: cutting driver's pegs off and needing peg replacement once per year on a stock GL1800, every year, and occasionally rashing a engine guard/crash bar hard-braking into a corner. He did go the Mega Monty last summer, and hasn't stopped grinning since. Neither of us are burning up pegs anymore--well, yeah, but now it's a good two years or more before pegs are needed, after the TD setups. The bike just stays where it is supposed to, instead of diving or 'flattening' into the suspension. Hence: more ground clearance/better lean angle. Even without their triple-tree there is no slow-speed wobble on mine, no flex. In any even, if I sell my 1800A, the suspension does NOT go with it. (Gotta check and ensure that'll splice into my forthcoming F6B :-) )

Re: Progressives: I bought a 'flip' GL1800 last June, and after getting it home, I chatted with the previous owner on a couple trifles I had noticed. One of the aspects was that it handled, at 131k miles, better than any stock GL1800 I had ridden (which is dozens of them). He told me then that he had installed the Progressives in the front end, had forgotten to mention it to me. (??)

I did NOT have the chance to get it out into the hard twisties, but what pushing it that I did do on it convinced me that the Progressives, although *perhaps not up to par with Traxxion, are a really decent step towards a better suspension on the 1800. I think they are very good value, based on my admittedly limited experience with them, and it is less labor to install them. That particular bike also had an after-market higher-rate coil spring on the otherwise stock rear shock, so that may have made a little difference as well. It handled very well in comparison to a 'stocker'.

If your budget can't handle the Mega, you can diminish the Mega Monty cost by getting decent neck bearings, the TD fork-work done (just remove your tubes and legs and send them in), the TD rear shock (which you can install yourself easily with a proper Honda service manual), keeping the stock triple-tree/yoke setup, but getting the best fork-brace money can buy (which I think is the TD issue). Probably net out at about $2.2k as a 'do-it-yourselfer', and have a *great* suspension under your butt.

Comfort: You are not riding a cushy machine any more. You are riding a racing suspension. If you take the rear shock down to 3-4 on the dial, it'll be softer, but you will feel everything on the road under you. They are not cushy. They are tight. You feel the road.

IMO they are a great setup, in spirit only diminished by the cost of it and the fact that Honda could do the same thing, but doesn't. Perhaps, down the road, it won't be like a 1979 Goldwing having to rely on Craig Vetter for a fairing. They may smarten up and make their own do-dads.

Ride safe.

No Handle Sam
04-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Went and saw the gang over at Traxxion today and had them do the "Mega-Monty" to my 2015. Haven't had a chance to do any real twisties yet, but just riding the thing home you can really tell a difference in how "solid" it feels now. Just makes you want to get out and go ride!!! (and I just did 1800 miles on it last week. Before the mod.)

Jimmytee
04-11-2017, 05:42 PM
I'm expecting delivery tomorrow for the Arnott air suspension for Gold Wing F6B
http://www.arnottcycles.com/suspensions/honda/gold-wing/2001-2017-honda-gold-wing-f6b-ultimate-ride-kit-black-no-rebound.html

3Chief
04-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Just set up an appointment with RMR suspensions to have the Traxxion setup put on my B. One question for you Driver, RMR didn't recommend the brace saying with the new triple tree it was unnecessary and not something they needed to sell me, why did you get the brace on the Traxxion system? I'm just curious and wondering if I missed something important...Suspensions are a bit out of my wheel house :icon_biggrin:

53driver
04-20-2017, 11:14 PM
Just set up an appointment with RMR suspensions to have the Traxxion setup put on my B. One question for you Driver, RMR didn't recommend the brace saying with the new triple tree it was unnecessary and not something they needed to sell me, why did you get the brace on the Traxxion system? I'm just curious and wondering if I missed something important...Suspensions are a bit out of my wheel house :icon_biggrin:

I'm sorry it took so long to reply, but I have been thinking about your question.
It would be "easy" to call Traxxion and give you their answer, but you can do that.
You want my answer....so here ya go:

I had the SuperBrace and I liked it, I could feel the difference in the front end reduced flex, especially during spirited riding.
So I experienced that a fork brace was "a good thing."

So, here I am, in the Traxxion showroom and I mentioned that I already had a fork brace.
They then showed me where it had been tearing up the back end of my front fender piece - which I had noticed - and then said that their brace actually mounted lower on the forks and wouldn't continue to tear up my fender. Okay there's a minor plus.

Then I looked at a set of forks already off and they showed me where the triple tree would clamp, where the fork brace would clamp, and then where the axle was.
3 points of rigidity.
And? the Mega Monty was on "sale" making the brace less than 10% of my total investment - which I can probably get back selling the SuperBrace.
I am not a suspension guru by any stretch but I've had enough math and Statics & Dynamics to see how a middle support between two supporting end pieces is a "good" thing.

I also tried to mentally flow a "hard sweeping turn" through the front end.
1. Wheel is loaded up laterally
2. Puts uneven pressure on the axle
3. One fork must then collapse a bit, one must extend a bit (makes sense to have the same thing in both forks now!)
4. That lateral loading is carried up the forks to the steering stem, and the forks are free to move about & flex as they wish = sloppy feeling.
Then try turning the opposite direction......and add those forces into play.....
5. The Traxxion triple tree does a great job keeping that top end secure, I don't know how much more than the stock stem, but with two points of attachment, I'm very sure it's more and it likely allows for a more uniform pressure on the steering head bearings.
6. This still leaves approximately 28" of fork tubes that are not supported, except at the end points.
7. Some where in the middle, I think I support might be a good idea.

That's why I let them do the whole thing.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

PS - For the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge to fit properly in the left fork tube, some lathing is required - make sure your guys know what they're doing!

3Chief
04-21-2017, 06:04 AM
Thanks Driver, I appreciate your insight on this. Since I don't have a brace installed currently I'll try it without for my own knowledge and most likely install the Traxxion brace at a later date. That way I have a good point of reference to add to the board.

RMR is one of two Traxxion approved installers here in the PNW. I read a lot of good reviews and my conversations with them have been positive. I would just as soon travel to Traxxion themselves for the install however that's bit of an undertaking from here. My account Snark would not approve since I have plenty of leave for the trip but she would not :icon_wink:

53driver
04-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Thanks Driver, I appreciate your insight on this. Since I don't have a brace installed currently I'll try it without for my own knowledge and most likely install the Traxxion brace at a later date. That way I have a good point of reference to add to the board.

RMR is one of two Traxxion approved installers here in the PNW. I read a lot of good reviews and my conversations with them have been positive. I would just as soon travel to Traxxion themselves for the install however that's bit of an undertaking from here. My account Snark would not approve since I have plenty of leave for the trip but she would not :icon_wink:

Copy all and best of luck!
If they are doing this piecemeal, please ensure you are getting the All Balls tapered bearings.
That and the triple tree made the steering REALLY smooth.

Cheers,
Steve

3Chief
04-21-2017, 09:04 AM
They're doing the Full Monty, everything but the brace if I'm reading it all correctly. I just looked at the parts list on my estimate and the all ball bearing set is listed. I'm getting kinda of excited to do this...That and I've been away from my poor B for far to long :icon_frown:

Walcrow
04-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Newbie here again. Signing on the dotted line today for a new 2015 F6B Deluxe 40th. When I have time to pick it up, probably Saturday, I'll put a few miles on her. I've had Wings. Bought the first one that came out in 1975, then a 1200, then another 1200, no 1500, then the last one was a 2004 with the recalled frame. Finally decided to pull the trigger on the 2015. I'm quite aware of the suspension issues over the years. Wobbly wet sponges to me. I talked to Traxxion last week about the Mega kit and had decided to make the trip to GA. but then saw they had an installation place close to me in Alvarado, just south of Ft.Worth. Talked to Jim at Raceworx. One man shop who builds race bikes. He casually mentioned he has done 130 Mega installs in 7 years. Issue resolved for me. Sending him the deposit tomorrow so he can order the FULL MONTY with the Traxxion triple clamp included in the redo. After reading 53's experience this morning, it's a no-brainer. I've been riding for 40 years and this will probably be my last cycle as I now have a Medicare card in my wallet! This kit is not cheap my any means. That's obvious. And it's not installed yet so I can't report on any empirical data yet, but the one issue over the years has been the Wing suspension so I stayed away from them until now. Considering the price I paid for the F6B (just over $17,000) this Traxxion expense became a non-issue for me and from what I've read, money well spent. Thanks go out to 53 for his review and when I get mine back, I'll most likely also have a lengthy encyclical about my miles with the Traxxion kit. It's now 9am and I'm off to sign the papers.

53driver
04-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Walcrow,
My first bike was an '81 GL1100 standard. New to me in 1997.
I put Progressive springs into it one day and the ride difference was amazing.
Didn't know about, and even if I did, I couldn't afford, a Traxxion upgrade at that time.

Fast Forward to 2017.
Got really tired of the front end "wet sponge", "wet mop" effect in turns on the F6B.
Progressive was an option, but all my Wing friends told me to go Traxxion.
Buy once, cry once.

I know she is now much truer, and hence safer to ride.
She tracks like she's on rails.

I am looking forward to your first trip report on the stock F6B, and your encyclical diatribe after several spirited jaunts with the Traxxion upgrade.

You coming to the Rally?
Would like to share notes with your on the suspension.

Cheers,
Steve

Walcrow
04-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Rally.........what Rally? Where and when? My new business has me working 6 days a week and closed on Monday. Might be a little tough for me to get wherever it is and back in 24 hours, but it might be worth a try.

53driver
04-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Rally.........what Rally? Where and when? My new business has me working 6 days a week and closed on Monday. Might be a little tough for me to get wherever it is and back in 24 hours, but it might be worth a try.

This forum hosts an annual Rally.
Check out this thread, first post:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?10550-2017-Rally-Attendance-Information-(take-2)

Walcrow
04-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Well, I'll have to figure this one out. I've got a great old friend from college in Pigeon Forge. Thanks for the link.

choptop
07-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Called the shop in Hastings, 35 miles away, were Pumper had his Traxion system installed last year, just before the Rally, quoted me 3,700.00, 500 more than Pumper paid, will have to talk to them.

willtill
08-08-2017, 03:40 PM
So what is the advantage of installing Traxxion's Traxx-Rite Billet Triple Clamp set?

http://www.traxxion.com/Traxx-Rite-Billet-Triple-Clamp-set/

It does the same thing as the OEM Triple clamp.... it's fastens the upper fork stanchions together in the same way.

What's the improvement over the OEM version? :shrug:

53driver
08-08-2017, 04:31 PM
I can't talk to one single component as I had the Mega-Monty done.

All I know is:
- in curves, the bike tracks effortlessly
- there is no wobble regardless of gear, speed or tire status
- cupping tires are no more
- hands off she stays straight and true
- firmer feel, as in I feel every bump, just not as harshly

I rode an F6B with OEM suspension and there was a MAJOR difference.
Just MH(AWI)O.
Cheers,
Steve

willtill
08-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks Steve

I do want to know about what's special; regarding thier triple clamp. I know that I can ask them... and they will "sell" it to me because of course they want me to buy it. It's $500.00 smackaroo's though...:shock: It better be special and better in some tangible way.

willtill
08-08-2017, 07:31 PM
...this is what they said about their Billet Triple Tree;

Huge advantage with the triple tree. The fork brace is trying to address the triple tree actually flexing, the fork tubes themselves do very little flexing at all as they are 45mm. The OEM triple is pretty cheaply made, and is hollow and has no cross bracing underneath. We have one mounted in a steel plate with a fork tube sticking out of it as lever, and you can really make it flex by hand. Ours made of billet doesn’t flex at all. You will notice a big difference with turn in, and it even feels more solid on the highway.

53driver
08-08-2017, 08:01 PM
...this is what they said about their Billet Triple Tree;

Huge advantage with the triple tree. The fork brace is trying to address the triple tree actually flexing, the fork tubes themselves do very little flexing at all as they are 45mm. The OEM triple is pretty cheaply made, and is hollow and has no cross bracing underneath. We have one mounted in a steel plate with a fork tube sticking out of it as lever, and you can really make it flex by hand. Ours made of billet doesn’t flex at all. You will notice a big difference with turn in, and it even feels more solid on the highway.

Oh yeah....I did bend the one in the showroom.....

The whole Mega-Monty at Traxxion in GA was $3k. Same as cash over 3 months, so 4 payments. Initial, plus 3.
Go big or go home!

Caskets don't come with trailers.....

Cheers,
Steve

willtill
08-09-2017, 05:12 AM
Decided to get this all done; just before the Rally...

Remove/replace forks (labor) $100
Service forks/install AK20s (labor) $200
Traxx-Rite Triple Clamp install (labor) $150
Seals $50
Bushings $60 - if needed
AK20s Cartridge Kit $999.95
Traxx-Rite Triple Clamp (includes All Balls Stem bearings) $499.00

I really don't think I need that Traxxion rear shock at this time. Optional later possibly. Same as with their Fork Brace. I think that installing a Fork Brace in conjunction with their Traxx-Rite Triple Tree clamp may be overkill... we'll see.

Jimmytee
08-09-2017, 05:25 AM
Oh yeah....I did bend the one in the showroom.....

The whole Mega-Monty at Traxxion in GA was $3k. Same as cash over 3 months, so 4 payments. Initial, plus 3.
Go big or go home!

Caskets don't come with trailers.....

Cheers,
Steve

Between the Helibars and the fork brace and now the All Balls tapered bearings, plus the Progressive monotubes, the front end is tight.:icon_wink:

billsim
08-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Decided to get this all done; just before the Rally...

Remove/replace forks (labor) $100
Service forks/install AK20s (labor) $200
Traxx-Rite Triple Clamp install (labor) $150
Seals $50
Bushings $60 - if needed
AK20s Cartridge Kit $999.95
Traxx-Rite Triple Clamp (includes All Balls Stem bearings) $499.00

I really don't think I need that Traxxion rear shock at this time. Optional later possibly. Same as with their Fork Brace. I think that installing a Fork Brace in conjunction with their Traxx-Rite Triple Tree clamp may be overkill... we'll see.

Okay, my wallet is opening. I think this is the answer for me. I am not an aggressive rider but I would like a better front end setup for my riding.
Thanks for the info and break-down.

53driver
08-09-2017, 01:31 PM
.....same as with their Fork Brace. I think that installing a Fork Brace in conjunction with their Traxx-Rite Triple Tree clamp may be overkill... we'll see.

If you have support at both ends.....how can support in the middle be overkill?

JimmyT has the fork brace and the Helibars up top giving him support at all three points.
Basic "Statics" tells me that keeping two tubes in alignment with each other requires support at the ends and in the middle.
Add some dynamic flex and the requirement is fairly obvious.

But, as Opas wrote, to each his own. Ride safe!

crossbowme
11-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Every year when I put my bike up for the winter I plan a "project" for the bike to be done by Spring. I was able to cajole a set of PIAA lights as a Christmas present so I can scratch that one off the list.

The last item I have on my list is the Traxxion Triple Clamp. This thread has a really good discussion of Traxxion (I have the Full Monty) but I still have two questions. I have the Traxxion Fork Brace and Helibars giving the front end three points of attachment (plus All Balls). Will the Triple Clamp make any improvement over this combination?

Secondly, what brand(s) of time tires work best with Traxxion? I am considering Avon Cobras next summer.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me with F6B.

ths61
11-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Every year when I put my bike up for the winter I plan a "project" for the bike to be done by Spring. I was able to cajole a set of PIAA lights as a Christmas present so I can scratch that one off the list.

The last item I have on my list is the Traxxion Triple Clamp. This thread has a really good discussion of Traxxion (I have the Full Monty) but I still have two questions. I have the Traxxion Fork Brace and Helibars giving the front end three points of attachment (plus All Balls). Will the Triple Clamp make any improvement over this combination?

Secondly, what brand(s) of time tires work best with Traxxion? I am considering Avon Cobras next summer.

FWIW, Traxxion told me their lower triple tree clamp yielded 95% of the improvement and that most riders would not notice the top triple tree clamp. I already had their fork brace and then added the Mega Monty (minus the top triple tree clamp). I do not have Helibars or the Texelent bars on top.

http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/traxxrite4.jpg

Jimmytee
11-16-2017, 11:25 AM

IMHO , I don't think there would be much to gain by adding the Traxxion triple clamp with having the Helibars and the fork brace already. Undoubtedly, if you didn't have the Helibars, the Traxxion tree would be a noticeable difference, but I have the Superbrace, the Helibars, All Balls bearings and the Progressive Monotube Cartridges and my front end is solid. Compare the OEM tree to the Traxxion tree and there is no real comparison. However, with the Helibars and brace, I think they more than compensate for the OEM tree

ths61
11-16-2017, 11:31 AM
FWIW, it looks like Traxxion has ordered a GL1833 and will be tearing it apart as soon as they get their hands on it.

crossbowme
11-17-2017, 08:12 AM
IMHO , I don't think there would be much to gain by adding the Traxxion triple clamp with having the Helibars and the fork brace already. Undoubtedly, if you didn't have the Helibars, the Traxxion tree would be a noticeable difference, but I have the Superbrace, the Helibars, All Balls bearings and the Progressive Monotube Cartridges and my front end is solid. Compare the OEM tree to the Traxxion tree and there is no real comparison. However, with the Helibars and brace, I think they more than compensate for the OEM tree

Thanks. That is pretty much what I'm thinking.