PDA

View Full Version : Worth having in the saddle bag.

choptop
03-01-2017, 04:57 PM
www.colbyvalve.com

BIGLRY
03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
www.colbyvalve.com
Agreed!
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/576c01e8ebbd1aee23f17d8d/t/580558283e00be6fb78ddfff/1476745262360/?format=500w

xgringo
03-01-2017, 09:22 PM
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

terryboyle
03-01-2017, 10:25 PM
here's a link explaining how it works
https://vimeo.com/177599690?from=outro-embed

Broken Hand
03-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Slick piece of engineering, but I've never experienced the need for such an item.

Anyone ever broken a valve stem on the road?

opas ride
03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Slick piece of engineering, but I've never experienced the need for such an item.

No, never...Been riding for over 50 years on and off and never had this happen.....Good idea I suppose, but I don't intend to get one at this time...Ride safe

imported_NMRed
03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Ordered a pair. Yes I have had a broken valve stem on the road, twice. Once on an adv bike on a forest trail, and the second was on the trailer going down the highway. If they look as good as they sound I will have one in every vehicle I own.

opas ride
03-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Perhaps they work okay, but I think the question that was asked pertained to road bikes and broken valve stems???...Not off road bikes and other type vehicles such as trailers, etc....Ride safe

BIGLRY
03-02-2017, 01:53 PM

Anyone ever broken a valve stem on the road?Yep twice, both on a front wheel, once while going to the Dr office the front went flat and left me stranded and once while on a trip away from home...luckyly there was a a bike shop near freeway and I only had to push the steel steed for 1/4 mile to get fixed. Both times stem cracked at base near rim and was a slow leak then a real fast leak once I messed with it.... I know I'm going to get a set to put in with my air pump in the saddle bags(cheap insurance IMO).

RickJ
03-02-2017, 02:43 PM

yup! not broken off, but leak at base of stem. wondered why I had 10lbs pressure!
[edit] you did say "on the road" it happened there, but I didn't catch it till at home. I had to remove the wheel,to replace the stem, and figured what the hell, and got a tire too- could have waited another 1K or more if I had had that nifty thingy.

seadog
03-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Perhaps they work okay, but I think the question that was asked pertained to road bikes and broken valve stems???...Not off road bikes and other type vehicles such as trailers, etc....Ride safe

Is the fact that they flex in the rim hole and when the seal gets a little older they start leaking and can leave you stranded. I replace those worthless stock OEM valve stems and their just plastic supports with a good set of Enkei 85 degree metal valve stems on both wheels. They are solid and no flexing when checking pressure or adding air.

ReserveBum
03-02-2017, 07:32 PM

YES!!! and it almost killed me. I95 on a beautiful Memorial Day coming back from Rolling Thunder on my Connie. New tire and new 90 degree valve stem...I'm #2 in a 4 bike formation running @ 70 and BAM! goes the rear tire. Sheet my pants but managed to get her off the side w/o getting run over

1951vbs
03-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Maybe I'm lucky but I have not experienced a stem problem on a motorcycle wheel in 900,000 miles nor do I recall having an issue on a car, truck or trailer in a million miles or so. I do replace them every time I replace tires so maybe that explains it. I guess you can neve have too much stuff in your saddle bags.

choptop
03-03-2017, 10:18 AM

Had the valve stem on the front crack, plastic support was missing, on the last ride of the year, left me stranded of course. And the first ride of the following season, same outcome, have metal stems in now and expect it not to happen but will buy a valve just in case I or a ride member have a problem.

zeus661
03-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Had my front valve stem fail 300 miles from home of a Saturday afternoon when everything was closed.