PDA

View Full Version : mustang alignment is terrible

rdeady
03-02-2017, 05:17 PM
My new mustang seat just came in. I know i had read about problems getting bolts lined up but holy crap ! I guess i'm going to put the stock seat back on and order a set of the tapered bolts. I don't have a tap kit so i cant chase the bolts or whatever you call it. I dam near stripped the soft thread on the bike, thankfully i stopped. Had to run bolt through the opposite way to unbugger it.

opas ride
03-02-2017, 05:39 PM
My new mustang seat just came in. I know i had read about problems getting bolts lined up but holy crap ! I guess i'm going to put the stock seat back on and order a set of the tapered bolts. I don't have a tap kit so i cant chase the bolts or whatever you call it. I dam near stripped the soft thread on the bike, thankfully i stopped. Had to run bolt through the opposite way to unbugger it.

Yes they can be a PITA to install the first time or so...Buy the tapered bolts from Rick at Value Accessories and all will be well with a little "wiggle" and effort...Some have cleaned out the bolt holes with a screwdriver or punch, then aligned them with the new bolts one at time.....Good luck

DMAGOLDRDR
03-02-2017, 09:35 PM
I have swapped seats more time than I can remember. My stock seat to a Mustang, then tried an Ultimate and have finally settled on a Corbin. Plus the times I have removed the seat for work and never had an issue. I will mention my installation proses if it helps.

Set the seat in place and slide a Phillips screwdriver in both front holes. Remove one screw driver and slide the first bolt into place USING MY FINGERS ONLY no tools. Leave it very loose but in a few threads. Then slide the rear bolt on the same side again fingers only and leave very loose. Then with a bent piece of wire I hook the saddlebag pin and pull slightly to align the latch. Once a good connection between the pin and latch is made I turn the bolts on that side in with an allen wrench until seated but still not tight. Then to the other side for the same procedure. Once all in place then tighten the 4 bolts.

rdeady
03-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the help. I'll tell you that whoever designed that seat for the f6b shoulda caught he'll. It's to tight against the covers in front ,it's to wide in the back where the rails go and the holes don't line up. And oh yeah they decided to make it without an optional driver back rest. Kind of crazy if you ask me.

Steve 0080
03-03-2017, 08:58 AM
ReTry this.... one at a time put a long screw driver in each hole. Put the seat where you feel it goes and put in the screwdrivers . You can also put a piece of tape where the holes are to help you mark the spot... Better tight than loose.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3883-Seat-Installation-Improvement

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6104-The-Mustang-Seat-yep-again&highlight=installing+mustang+seat

rdeady
03-04-2017, 10:02 AM
I got the seat on. But I left the rails off for now. I'll let the seat holes mold a bit to the new position then get the raised on. SeatING position is about the same as stock as I always scooted way back anyway. Only So so comfortable but hopefully it will get better after a break in period. I can't really tell if I'm more flat-footed then before but I do seem to be sitting in the bike instead of on it. I'm 5 10 and had no problem with the hight of the stock ,I even used a airhawk so I was up a tad higher. Only a short test ride so far. Got real chilly in NJ. Oh YEAH I changed the oil yesterday also,glad I got that done.

opas ride
03-04-2017, 11:23 AM
I got the seat on. But I left the rails off for now. I'll let the seat holes mold a bit to the new position then get the raised on. SeatING position is about the same as stock as I always scooted way back anyway. Only So so comfortable but hopefully it will get better after a break in period. I can't really tell if I'm more flat-footed then before but I do seem to be sitting in the bike instead of on it. I'm 5 10 and had no problem with the hight of the stock ,I even used a airhawk so I was up a tad higher. Only a short test ride so far. Got real chilly in NJ. Oh YEAH I changed the oil yesterday also,glad I got that done.
After 3 years of riding with the Mustang seat I am okay with it..Took a while to break it in, but is fine now...I am not sure it is much more comfortable than the stocker, but it lowers me down about an inch which is what I wanted.....Ride safe

cosborn
03-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Initial fitting of my Mustang was difficult so i went with the tapered bolts, but i do think you need to ream out the bolt holes. I found that the seat bedded in after a short period and i now have no problem with it. I also put the stock seat back on when the bike goes in for a service, saves the mec doing it.

Chris

I LOVE MY MUSTANG SEAT