PDA

View Full Version : A Classic Beauty

Phantom
10-02-2013, 03:04 PM
This was the first Honda that caught my attention (I was in my early teens) ….. the first 6 cylinder Honda :icon_cool::yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMWurGORq_8

Pedro66
10-02-2013, 05:17 PM
This was the first Honda that caught my attention (I was in my early teens) ….. the first 6 cylinder Honda :icon_cool::yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMWurGORq_8

I always wanted one never got one, like a Z900 or a Z1300 no you have me in search mode.

MichaelG
10-02-2013, 05:30 PM

Okay, you know I love you, Brother, but....the Honda CBX was not the first 6 cyclinder Honda. Read below:

"Yet the CBX still would not have been possible—even conceivable—if certain elements were not in place, or about to be. To begin with, a six-cylinder street motorcycle had to be imaginable—someone had to come up with the idea. And that someone was Shoichiro Irimajiri, architect of several Honda roadracing machines from the '60s, including a brace of world-championship-winning six-cylinder engines, the 250cc RC-165 and the 297cc RC-174.

The career trajectory for new-hire engineers at Honda also conspired to make the CBX possible. Almost invariably graduates of Tokyo University, the young gearheads' first assignments were for Honda's race teams; baptism by fire, to be sure, but also the kind of challenge guaranteed to make a freshly schooled engineer twitch all over at the prospects. That's how Irimajiri got the enviable task of designing five- and six-cylinder four-stroke Honda GP engines to compete with the four-cylinder two-strokes of that era from Yamaha and Suzuki."

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/cbx/#ixzz2gbeyybAc

And, I must agree with Pedro...I too will not re-start a search for a CBX. I too have always wanted one, and now that I know Hornblower doesn't have one, I might as well go looking.

Pedro66
10-02-2013, 05:40 PM
You know who has a nice collection of stuff like this, its Brad Niehaus of Niehaus Cycles he has mint stuff all around the walls of the store on a raised platform and a hidden warehouse with many a goody taken in trade. "Where is my phone"

Phantom
10-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Okay, you know I love you, Brother, but....the Honda CBX was not the first 6 cyclinder Honda.

Miles, You are correct, Jay Leno makes a reference to that 250cc motorcycle on the video.

The CBX1000 was the first 6 cylinder bike that I laid eyes on, I'll never forget that day, I said WOW that thing is wide and BIG. The owner at the time was smiling and laughing while I drooled over his CBX. I want one. Today a clean low mileage 1979 CBX will cost around $13,000 - $16,000. The 79's were the best units, in 1980 (Thanks to Jimmy Carter) the CBX's were detuned and had the speedometer replaced with one that only read up to 80mph.

MichaelG
10-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Miles, You are correct, Jay Leno makes a reference to that 250cc motorcycle on the video.

The CBX1000 was the first 6 cylinder bike that I laid eyes on, I'll never forget that day, I said WOW that thing is wide and BIG. The owner at the time was smiling and laughing while I drooled over his CBX. I want one. Today a clean low mileage 1979 CBX will cost around $13,000 - $16,000. The 79's were the best units, in 1980 (Thanks to Jimmy Carter) the CBX's were detuned and had the speedometer replaced with one that only read up to 80mph.

In doing a few searches today, I came across more than a dozen of these CBX's for sale, a few '79s, lots of 80's, and a very nice 82. While the 1980 did have the 80 mph speedo...the 1982 went back to the 150 mpg speedo. Prices range from $ 2,600. to $ 19,000.

Pedro66
10-03-2013, 09:52 AM
In doing a few searches today, I came across more than a dozen of these CBX's for sale, a few '79s, lots of 80's, and a very nice 82. While the 1980 did have the 80 mph speedo...the 1982 went back to the 150 mpg speedo. Prices range from $ 2,600. to $ 19,000.

Miles after long reading your posts you finally made a technical typo :lolup:

You are human after all LOL

MichaelG
10-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Miles after long reading your posts you finally made a technical typo :lolup:

You are human after all LOL

Oh, NO, Pete, please do not include me in that category of hominids. I meant to say that the bike can now read 150 MPG...not mph.
It was not a typo. It was a case of fat fingers, having a mind of their own, and wishing these bikes could get that kind of fuel mileage.

So, the 1980 Honda CBX had a speedo that only showed up to 80 MPH...but the 1982 Honda CBX could get 150 MPG.:icon_biggrin::shock::icon_rolleyes:

Phantom
10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Prices range from $ 2,600. to $ 19,000.

Miles, if I were to purchase a used restored CBX, this would be my choice …..

http://www.timscbx.com/Motorcycles%20atvs.html

MichaelG
10-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Miles, if I were to purchase a used restored CBX, this would be my choice …..

That looks to be a '79, and WOW...it looks good. I am more interested in the Super Sport Touring model, with the factory saddlebags and fairing, either in the dark silver...or the white.

Pedro66
10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Oh, NO, Pete, please do not include me in that category of hominids. I meant to say that the bike can now read 150 MPG...not mph.
It was not a typo. It was a case of fat fingers, having a mind of their own, and wishing these bikes could get that kind of fuel mileage.

So, the 1980 Honda CBX had a speedo that only showed up to 80 MPH...but the 1982 Honda CBX could get 150 MPG.:icon_biggrin::shock::icon_rolleyes:

Almost like you had a shock to the brain or something?