PDA

View Full Version : Corbin first impressions and review

Darkknight
10-03-2013, 05:18 AM
First, I'd like to thank the F6B Rallly organizers and Corbin for getting this saddle donated, I probably wouldn't have one if you guys didn't do that. (I won the auction :icon_lol:)
I recieved and installed my Corbin Dual Touring Saddle yesterday. After reading the thread about side cover removel and Corbin I will add the tools required for seat removal to my tool kit wish list.
The installation was much easier than the stock seat. I think the tolerances are tighter on the Corbin and the rigidity of the baseplate is probably helpful too. Those attributes are also what lead to the difficulty removing the side panels.
The Corbin is noticably heavier.
I really do like the look.
I need to adjust the backrest forward a little more or bring the handle bars back a bit (kURYAKYN spacers maybe). My arms are a bit too straight for my liking.
When I first sat on the saddle I thought "Dam, I've sat on 2X12's that are more comfortable". I'm going to give it a bit of a break-in period. My stock seat has been beaten into submission by my fat A** I guess. So the jury is still out on comfort. I had an Ultimate seat and it was wonderful from the get go. But I didn't do any real "touring". Mostly short trips. I've been told to give it a chance and firm may be actually better over long distances. Again, time will tell.
The passenger review was not as critical. Firmness was acceptable, rider's backrest was not. Sweetie loves to snuggle up to me as we ride and rarely uses the passenger backrest. The driver's backrest forces separation and pushes her farther back next to the passenger backrest. The passenger is also a bit higher so the CG and separation add to a different feel when coming to a stop or rapid starts.
The rider's backrest will probably ride in the saddlebags when sweetie is onboard. I like her snuggling too.:icon_mrgreen:
So here is the final product:

Steve 0080
10-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Congratulations on winning the seat!!! There were some very nice give always/auctioned items at the rally, Thanks to our vendors !!! Hopefully the seat will work out for you!!!

Scotrod
10-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Very nice lookin seat! Lotsa folks like Corbin. Congrats!

F6B-RICH
10-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Darkknight do you have to remove the seat to adjust the driver backrest and to install the driver backrest ? Also I did not try it yet but is it possible to
just remove the left side bolts on the Corbin and lift alittle to access/remove the battery cover ?

MSGT-R
10-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Backrest snaps in from above and has a set screw I do believe.

I've been loving all my seats over the years!

Disclaimer: all my seats have been prototypes but one, and all my seats have been fitted on site by the Hollister factory. Just because my seats are prototypes does not make my butt biased. I have disliked all my stockers because I am not the typical 5'9-6', 150-200 pound male the bike was designed for.. stock fit sucks. :icon_cool:

84 V65 Magna
06 CBR1000RR
12 VFR1200
13 F6B

All with Corbin seats.

Scotrod
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
IMHO, fitted seats are the way to go. Nothing 'off the shelf' works for me.

Darkknight
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
The driver's backrest IS installed from the top (seat installed).
The allen head bolt that attaches the backrest is also the "stop" that sets the front to back adjustment on the backrest. Different lengths bolts were provided by Corbin but I think I still need a longer bolt to move the rider's backrest further forward.
The second adjustment is behind the backrest pad. That is a set screw. That adjusts the "tilt" of the pad itself to fit flat against the rider's back

The rear backrest is a different setup, and I don't use it. It's my understanding that it does mount with the seat off and the lock bolt is installed from under the seat. I talked to tech support and they mentioned that Corbin might discontinue the seat with the rear backrest, and just provide the rider backrest option.

I have not tried loosening / removing only one side of the seat bolts to gain access to the side panels. This seat has a very rigid base pan. I'm not sure how much "flex" it will have.

Hope this helps.

timjoebob
10-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Congrats on getting the seat on. My Corbin took some getting used to and now that I've put 3600 miles on it, it's more comfortable.

The rider backrest can be adjusted in two spots, both with the seat on. The tilt of the backrest is adjusted by a set screw just below the backrest. The position of the rider backrest is adjusted by another set screw further into the seat, but reachable by angling the backrest forward. Your instructions should tell you.

Lastly, Corbin makes a passenger backrest pad which is taller than the stock and it mounts to the existing backrest hardware by removing the stock pad and installing the Corbin pad... very easy. My wife likes it infinitely better than the stock passenger backrest.

Their instructions are HERE (http://www.corbin.com/honda/install-h-f6b-dt-e.pdf).

Mustangjake
10-03-2013, 09:00 PM
When my seat is tighten down my right saddlebag will not open !
I have taken it off 2 times not sure what's happing

timjoebob
10-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Are you sure the saddlebag latch is seated properly onto the silver opening mechanism when re-attaching the grab rail?

Another stupid question: Is the saddlebag key in the proper unlocked, horizontal position? Sorry. Had to ask.

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Dam, I've sat on 2X12's that are more comfortable". I'm going to give it a bit of a break-in period. So the jury is still out on comfort
Keep us posted on the break-in issue. My experience is Corbin starts out hard and stays hard. I'm not a fan.

fast eddie
10-04-2013, 06:59 PM
same as yahoo sorry to ruff for my butt:jerkit:

Mustangjake
10-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Right bag not opening ! Took my seat off checked everything. Put it back together worked 2 times & can not open Right saddle bag again. I am not mad really think its funny if I was younger I would take it apart every day till I get it right now I just laugh about it.(you would think a guy could figure this out) I thought it was the passenger back rest as it pushed down hard on the back of the seat but I put spacers in it !
But I will get it soon I am sure