PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen or used this camera

seadog
03-07-2017, 01:31 PM
The new Prism Tube Action Camera, Full Hd one touch recording and has helmet mount hook-up and is selling for about $119 dollars. Was hoping someone had one for some insight as to how good it is.

willtill
03-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Can you post a link please?

I am more interested in getting some type of body camera at this point in time. A damned ALoft hotel bus almost ran me down last Thursday afternoon, while I was on my power walk

F6Dave
03-07-2017, 02:01 PM
I received an ad for it this morning from JakeWilson.com. It's made by SENA, so I expect it to be good.

willtill
03-07-2017, 02:04 PM
These look pretty cool

http://www.zetronix.com/1080p-hd-ultra-wide-angle-video-recording-dvr-sunglasses.html?gclid=CMG_lqWKxdICFY6IswodyN8Pug

MisterB
03-07-2017, 05:15 PM
I received an ad for it this morning from JakeWilson.com. It's made by SENA, so I expect it to be good. I thought you must be mistaken, everything from Sena is crazy expensive, but it's true! Linky https://www.amazon.com/SENA-PRISM-TUBE-ACTION-CAMERA/dp/B01AAG8S8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488924223&sr=8-1&keywords=Prism+Tube+Action+Camera OTOH, there doesn't seem to be anything special about it except for it's package. Nice unobtrusive shape. I picked up a wifi enabled cam that connects to app on phone that shows the video and has all controls. They're less than half the cost of the Sena. Downside is I'll have a big boxy thing on my helmet. The Sena lacks features but would be much better for motorcycle use. I'll have to mount my phone and be distracted by it to operate my gopro knockoff, but the Sena boasts one finger operation with voice prompts. If you've already got speakers in your helmet you could just mount these off to the side as audio quality of voice prompts doesn't matter much. If I keep typing I'm gonna talk myself into one. I would be much safer.... (for some reason my line breaks aren't working, sorry for the big jumble of words.)

seadog
03-07-2017, 08:14 PM
They said it can be a little grainy and was better in full light than diminished light and they would have been happier with 60 frames a second instead of 30 frames but said it did and OK job for the money you were paying for it. They said the mount to the helmet was good and solid and no chance of you losing it and was more than easy to operate. Also held a charge for about 2 hours of use,so for $119 bucks its not too bad a buy!

MisterB
03-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Seadog, check out the ION and CONTOUR cameras also. Don't know if these are good or bad yet, still researching, but might be just as good as the Sena: https://www.amazon.com/Ion-1011L-Lite-Wi-Fi-Camera/dp/B00FZ3JTGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488942368&sr=8-1&keywords=ion+air+pro
https://www.amazon.com/Contour-ROAM3-Waterproof-Video-Camera/dp/B00METYIQ2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1488941373&sr=8-13&keywords=motorcycle+helmet+camera
Each company has many different models.
I'll probably stick with the one I'd already bought cuz I can't afford to buy cameras willy-nilly. Either way, I will not take another trip without one.
With a simple camera system it won't create a safety hazard and the saved memories should offset the cost.

If anyone know what I've done to get rid of my line breaks please respond. All of my text runs together now. aha! I have to put in my own html. nope, that goes away too

MisterB
03-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Here's a video of the Sena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWKyrdfRguw
And one of the Contour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_TJn0DgsY

Rudy
03-07-2017, 11:20 PM
I just received my Sena tube a couple of days ago. For $119.00 I figured I would give it a shot next week at Daytona. What I like about it is the simplicity. I have a Sena 20s mounted on the other side of my helmet, works great but it does way more than I need. The Sena tube is basic,only the size of a small flashlight, on or off, built in mic or you can plug in a mic and speaker for inside your helmet. The helmet mount works great and is easy to install. I have scorpion helmets, one full face and one modular. No problem with either of them. Have not used it riding yet but I did mount it up and walk around the yard with my helmet on and the video looks good. Much better than I had expected. It also comes with a flat mount with 3m tape which I am thinking might be a way to mount it on the front of the B. I am unable to mess with it now as my bike is loaded in the trailer. The ONLY drawback I see so far is lining up the camera view on the side of your helmet. Since there is no screen or bluetooth it is more trial and error. Once mounted it would be smart to run a quick video to see if it's lined up properly. You can then tighten the mount up so it will not move when removing the camera. I plugged my yard test video into my laptop and it came right up on my screen. Easy peezy, worked well. So far I think it's a great value at 119.00 bucks. The true test will be next week.

stepbill
03-08-2017, 04:11 PM
I just received my Sena tube a couple of days ago. For $119.00 I figured I would give it a shot next week at Daytona. What I like about it is the simplicity. I have a Sena 20s mounted on the other side of my helmet, works great but it does way more than I need. The Sena tube is basic,only the size of a small flashlight, on or off, built in mic or you can plug in a mic and speaker for inside your helmet. The helmet mount works great and is easy to install. I have scorpion helmets, one full face and one modular. No problem with either of them. Have not used it riding yet but I did mount it up and walk around the yard with my helmet on and the video looks good. Much better than I had expected. It also comes with a flat mount with 3m tape which I am thinking might be a way to mount it on the front of the B. I am unable to mess with it now as my bike is loaded in the trailer. The ONLY drawback I see so far is lining up the camera view on the side of your helmet. Since there is no screen or bluetooth it is more trial and error. Once mounted it would be smart to run a quick video to see if it's lined up properly. You can then tighten the mount up so it will not move when removing the camera. I plugged my yard test video into my laptop and it came right up on my screen. Easy peezy, worked well. So far I think it's a great value at 119.00 bucks. The true test will be next week.

The true test will be what you video while at Daytona........

seadog
03-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Looking for a Camera, I didn't realize how many good small camera's there were out there for sale, in various price ranges and they all seem to have a lot of good features and a lot of bad features, so you have to go thru each one step by step to get the one with the most good qualities. I spent most of the afternoon on the features of just 2 small camera's and it would like to drive you to drink, well it did, I stopped for a beer later this afternoon. Just unbelievable how much technology each one has stored in its programing. I'm just about ready to buy one and let the chips fall where they may instead of going thru their programing and scrambling my brain.

Rudy
03-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Looking for a Camera, I didn't realize how many good small camera's there were out there for sale, in various price ranges and they all seem to have a lot of good features and a lot of bad features, so you have to go thru each one step by step to get the one with the most good qualities. I spent most of the afternoon on the features of just 2 small camera's and it would like to drive you to drink, well it did, I stopped for a beer later this afternoon. Just unbelievable how much technology each one has stored in its programing. I'm just about ready to buy one and let the chips fall where they may instead of going thru their programing and scrambling my brain.

"KISS" principal is your friend.

MisterB
03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
"KISS" principal is your friend. Yeah, while the Contour has some better features how do you know it's actually recording? Also, there will be no usable audio to record on the outside of your helmet.
The Sena has one switch that you will KNOW is in the record position. Audio prompts and a helmet mounted mic make it a winner.
My only complaint about all of these cameras is not being able to charge while recording. On an all-day ride you might see enough to wear out the battery halfway through the day.

Seadog, please let us know what you wind up with and what you think of it.

seadog
03-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Yeah, while the Contour has some better features how do you know it's actually recording? Also, there will be no usable audio to record on the outside of your helmet.
The Sena has one switch that you will KNOW is in the record position. Audio prompts and a helmet mounted mic make it a winner.
My only complaint about all of these cameras is not being able to charge while recording. On an all-day ride you might see enough to wear out the battery halfway through the day.

Seadog, please let us know what you wind up with and what you think of it.

Most of the small cameras only have at the most 2 and 3/4 hours on the lowest possible setting and on the high 1080 setting most are only good for an hour. So that really puts a crimp in an all day ride. You are just using it intermittently or you will run out of battery. Its a shame not one of those companies has thought of a way to incorporate a good charging system that can be plugged in while recording. That would make it the one to buy for sure.