PDA

View Full Version : I'd rather ride when it's 30 than 100.

hiflyer
10-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Looking for suggestions on how you guys supply power to your heated clothing before I start boring holes in the plastic to add a power socket.

MichaelG
10-03-2013, 10:08 AM
I am with you, brother. I am a cold weather rider...and hate the really hot weather. I can turn up the heat on my Gerbing heated clothing, to stay warm, but when it is hot outside, there is only so much a rider can do to stay hydrated, and cool.

On my bike, I simply ran the power lead that goes from the battery, to the clothing thermostat...ran it from the battery, under the seat, and up to the point to the very front of the seat, so that the connector sticks out in front of the seat, between the seat and the fuel cap door.

On all 3 of my previous 1800 Wings, I had installed (myself) a permanent thermostat...rheostat...on the RIGHT side of the fairing, right next to where the control for the heated hand grips would go. That means...right side of the fairing, down low, where that little cover is, with the key hole for the dash cubby. You can buy a permanent controller, install it there...to the LEFT of the key hole for the dash cubby, but to the RIGHT of the small removable plate, and have the red LED from the controller sticking out, so that you can see the light.

I wish I had pictures of this from my previousm 3 Wings, but...alas...Hornblower stole all my pictures:icon_wink:

jkelley
10-03-2013, 10:59 AM
I went from the battery down the side and drilled a small hole on a left side blank panel in front of and above my left knee and installed a plug connector. Just take my jacket wire to the connector and warm as toast year round. As mentioned my real riding season is just about to begin.

kjelders
10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I am with you, brother. I am a cold weather rider..

.....and a lightening...(aka Sparky)...rider too! :icon_mrgreen:

hiflyer
10-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Tomorrow will be the last hot day in OKC for awhile.

Texas TC
10-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I mounted my battery tender plug which doubles as a power source for my Gerbings heated gear as shown in the picture below. When not in use, it tucks nicely under the seat. No drilling required. I just place the thermostat in my outer jacket pocket. The plug location works well for both charging and power source.

Abiqua Creek
10-04-2013, 09:21 AM
36 degrees this morning on the way to work, a beautiful ride…

Westernbiker
10-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I ride up to and sometimes even when it's over 110 degrees here in Phoenix and WE RIDE ALL YEAR ROUND! :biggthumpup:

bobbyf6b
10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I ride up to and sometimes even when it's over 110 degrees here in Phoenix and WE RIDE ALL YEAR ROUND! :biggthumpup:

What he said. :icon_mrgreen:

It was like 62F this morning. Brrr... Had to put on the leather jacket.

kjelders
10-04-2013, 11:17 AM
38 degrees this morning. Day 1 of a 4 days ride to and around Hells Canyon area in Oregon. There should be around 12 wingers when we meet up in Enterprise, OR this evening.

Scotrod
10-04-2013, 12:09 PM
One would think keepin warm on a 6 / Wing would be a bit easier than the 'shield only' twins of my past.

'Lectric clothes?!?! Never really gets THAT cold here in Houston, but as a rule, I don't ride in 'extremes' anyway.

Extremes? Depends where you are at. Folks up in the NE US think 100 is deadly hot,,, Houstonians shut down the overpasses and cancel school if there is a chance of freezing rain,, (Probably a good thing, Quite a few can't drive in the rain, gets REAL entertaining with a little ice! LMAO!!!)

hiflyer
10-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Coldest extended ride I have made was from Death Valley to Amarillo Tx. Left DV at 5pm, checked ahead for road conditions thru Flagstaff all clear and 7 degrees as we passed thru at midnight. Warmed all the way up to 18 by the time we got to Gallup, pulled into Amarillo at 1pm next day 31 degrees. At times we had to remind ourselves how much fun we were having.

unsub
10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Looking for suggestions on how you guys supply power to your heated clothing before I start boring holes in the plastic to add a power socket.

Hello hiflyer and welcome. Check out this previous thread for some tips. I routed my AC tether out the left battery panel vent to avoid drilling any holes. Search: 12V-AC-Fuse-Blown

MichaelG
10-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Never really gets THAT cold here in Houston, but as a rule, I don't ride in 'extremes' anyway.

It must have been VERY cold last Sunday in Houston...when the Seattle Seahawks spotted the Texans 17 points, and still came back to beat them in overtime. They must have closed ALL the roads in the Houston area that day, as it was colder than people wanted it to be. :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
10-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Heh heh heh!

First I had heard about that,,,

I don't follow sports,,,,

True example: Year after year, when January comes around, when someone may actually ask ME who I think will win the Superbowl...

My response is always the same,,, "Dunno,,,, who's playin?"

Heck, you could tell me the Kansas City Red Sox beat the Pittsburg Cowboys for the Stanley Tape-Measure Cup, and I wouldn't argue with ya! :shock:

MichaelG
10-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Heh heh heh!

True example: Year after year, when January comes around, when someone may actually ask ME who I think will win the Superbowl...

Heck, you could tell me the Kansas City Red Sox beat the Pittsburg Cowboys for the Stanley Tape-Measure Cup, and I wouldn't argue with ya! :shock:

Now THAT...is just sad !:spank:

dickiedeals
10-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Heh heh heh!

I'm with Scotrod, I usually go with the underdog and usually have to be told who they are. When the son-in-law visits is the only time my tv get tuned to sports. I usually go out in the garage and tinker with the bike or go for a ride.............Dickie

MichaelG
10-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm with Scotrod, I usually go with the underdog and usually have to be told who they are. When the son-in-law visits is the only time my tv get tuned to sports. I usually go out in the garage and tinker with the bike or go for a ride.............Dickie

Okay, I can understand where Dickie and Scotrod are coming from. I am not a sports junkie by any means, but...when you happen to have the BEST football team in the NFL right up the road from you, then you pay attention a little more than usual. Given how poorly the teams are in the areas where you two guys live, I can see why you have no interest in the games :shock:

Scotrod
10-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Okay, ...when you happen to have the BEST football team in the NFL right up the road from you, then you pay attention a little more than usual.

I had no idea the Washington Royals were that good! Or was it the Washington Maple Leaf's?

Heck, I dunno,, Y'all are clear over there in left field, smack-dab between Oregon and Canada,,, I can't even keep the local news straight, let alone stuff from that far away!!!