PDA

View Full Version : 'd Barn...Grand Opening on Saturday

MichaelG
10-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Come One...Come All, as you are all invited to the Grand Opening of our new Barn for our Llamas, Alpacas, and miniature Goats. :icon_lol:

It has taken me 6 months to complete this project, from beginning to end, and while I cannot say I am 100 % satisfied with the end results, I will say I am okay with the finished project. I am not a carpenter by trade. I do know to measure twice, and cut once. Prior to this project, the biggest thing I built by myself was a oversized chicken coop, that some folks in our area think is nicer than the homes they live in:icon_wink:

This barn is 48' long and 30' wide, and is what is called a RCA (raised center aisle) or Monitor barn. There is not a single piece of OSB wood in this barn. It is all exterior grade 1/2 " plywood, on top of 2 x 6 purlins, and those purlins are nailed to 6 x 6 pressure treated posts. Basically it is a pole barn, or pole building, framed with 2 x 6 purlins, sheathed in 1/2 " plywood (no OSB), then wrapped in felt paper (tar paper...15 lb.) amd then finished with 28 guage metal roofing and metal siding.

I did not use anyone else's plans or a kit to do this. It was all thought up in my head...before the lightning strike...and other than the initial sketch drawing of what I wanted it to look like, all the rest was kept in my head, so it was an effort each day to remember...duh...what do I do next?

I even installed gutters the entire 48' length of both sides, and ran the gutters into 55 gallon rain barrels, which then overflow into 110 gallon watering troughs for the animals.

Today was the day I worked on finishing all the electrical...all the LED interior lighting...and the outlets...and the exterior LED motion sensor lights over the front doors. And...it must have come out okay, because I did not shock myself :icon_mrgreen:

Tomorrow I pick up 36 bales of hay, and 3 bales of straw. There is a special built hay storage room in the new barn, and a special room for their grain and other feeds. There is even a hospital ward stall, in case we need to separate one or more of the animals from the rest of them.

So, Hornblower...Black Betty...Big Dawg...Steve0080...Phantom6B...Limbuck...and everyone else...yes...even YOU...are invited to ride several thousands of miles to watch our Llamas, Alpacas, and Goats wander into the new Barn, and poop for the first time inside the new barn.

It should be exciting :icon_razz:

I will post pictures of the finished barn later Saturday, when we can show the animals with all their party hats on, and balloons tied to their tails.

:lolup:

Oh, and BTW, I did not do this project 100 % by myself, but...I did do 93.14159 % of the work. You knew I had to get that in...didn't ya ?

1951vbs
10-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the offer and congratulations! If it keeps raining up there you can turn it over and use it for an Ark to save your animals.
I have some travel plans coming up but on the wrong coast. Hope your offer will be good for a while and be careful what you wish for.

Steve 0080
10-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Well... if you had the forethought to install LED lighting, then it MUST be up top shelf !!!!! Your animals will be proud to live there!!!

Hornblower
10-04-2013, 10:15 PM
So, Hornblower...Black Betty...Big Dawg...Steve0080...Phantom6B...Limbuck...and everyone else...yes...even YOU...are invited to ride several thousands of miles to watch our Llamas, Alpacas, and Goats wander into the new Barn, and poop for the first time inside the new barn. It should be exciting :icon_razz: :lolup:

I don't know if the posse you called out would be up for a trip like this but I'm sure it would be most entertaining if we dropped in on you. You are a man of many talents, no doubt :clap2:

Clash
10-05-2013, 06:44 AM
so you did 90% plus had a pie eh?

MichaelG
10-05-2013, 08:55 AM
so you did 90% plus had a pie eh?

Clash, yes...that is what happened, but...I was only able to eat 3.14159 % of the pie, before the goats attacked me and ate the rest of it themselves. :icon_mrgreen:

dickiedeals
10-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Come One...Come All, as you are all invited to the Grand Opening of our new Barn for our Llamas, Alpacas, and miniature Goats. :icon_lol:

It has taken me 6 months to complete this project, from beginning to end, and while I cannot say I am 100 % satisfied with the end results, I will say I am okay with the finished project. I am not a carpenter by trade. I do know to measure twice, and cut once. Prior to this project, the biggest thing I built by myself was a oversized chicken coop, that some folks in our area think is nicer than the homes they live in:icon_wink:

This barn is 48' long and 30' wide, and is what is called a RCA (raised center aisle) or Monitor barn. There is not a single piece of OSB wood in this barn. It is all exterior grade 1/2 " plywood, on top of 2 x 6 purlins, and those purlins are nailed to 6 x 6 pressure treated posts. Basically it is a pole barn, or pole building, framed with 2 x 6 purlins, sheathed in 1/2 " plywood (no OSB), then wrapped in felt paper (tar paper...15 lb.) amd then finished with 28 guage metal roofing and metal siding.

I did not use anyone else's plans or a kit to do this. It was all thought up in my head...before the lightning strike...and other than the initial sketch drawing of what I wanted it to look like, all the rest was kept in my head, so it was an effort each day to remember...duh...what do I do next?

I even installed gutters the entire 48' length of both sides, and ran the gutters into 55 gallon rain barrels, which then overflow into 110 gallon watering troughs for the animals.

Today was the day I worked on finishing all the electrical...all the LED interior lighting...and the outlets...and the exterior LED motion sensor lights over the front doors. And...it must have come out okay, because I did not shock myself :icon_mrgreen:

Tomorrow I pick up 36 bales of hay, and 3 bales of straw. There is a special built hay storage room in the new barn, and a special room for their grain and other feeds. There is even a hospital ward stall, in case we need to separate one or more of the animals from the rest of them.

So, Hornblower...Black Betty...Big Dawg...Steve0080...Phantom6B...Limbuck...and everyone else...yes...even YOU...are invited to ride several thousands of miles to watch our Llamas, Alpacas, and Goats wander into the new Barn, and poop for the first time inside the new barn.

It should be exciting :icon_razz:

I will post pictures of the finished barn later Saturday, when we can show the animals with all their party hats on, and balloons tied to their tails.

:lolup:

Oh, and BTW, I did not do this project 100 % by myself, but...I did do 93.14159 % of the work. You knew I had to get that in...didn't ya ? Miles, My wife say's you should get some fainting Goats. She Loves fainting Goats. If you had those she would make me ride up for the event........Dickie

MichaelG
10-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Miles, My wife say's you should get some fainting Goats. She Loves fainting Goats. If you had those she would make me ride up for the event........Dickie

Dickie, please tell your wife to pack lightly, as you two will need to make monster miles today, to get from Florida to Washington in the next 8 hours.
I have no doubt I can make one of our goats faint :nutkick: