PDA

View Full Version : You had better Check

seadog
03-16-2017, 11:56 AM
I see these guys on the forum saying they are paying $450 to $550 bucks for a 4 year warranty. What warranty are you getting for that, do you know? The two good extended warranties thru Honda that cover everything on the bike are both over $900 bucks. If your warranty is half that cost what does it cover? Warranties are only as good as the written statement. If they say we cover everything from stem to stern on the bike except those that are excluded you had better dig deeper and find out what those excluded items are. You might be amazed at what is actually not covered at all. The good Honda extended warranties cover the bike no question for as much as 5 extra years from stem to stern.

willtill
03-16-2017, 12:15 PM
There is no 5 year extended warranty. The max is 4 years. It's called HondaCare (Honda Protection Plan) and this is what it covers:

http://powersports.honda.com/protectionplan/motorcycle-threeyear.aspx

There are exclusions and they are basically the same things that are excluded in the original 3 year warranty.

I also have it in a pamphlet that was later mailed to me by Hond; with my name and VIN stamped on it. No smoke and mirrors here about the extended warranty coverage.

seadog
03-16-2017, 04:01 PM
There is no 5 year extended warranty. The max is 4 years. It's called HondaCare (Honda Protection Plan) and this is what it covers:

http://powersports.honda.com/protectionplan/motorcycle-threeyear.aspx

There are exclusions and they are basically the same things that are excluded in the original 3 year warranty.

I also have it in a pamphlet that was later mailed to me by Hond; with my name and VIN stamped on it. No smoke and mirrors here about the extended warranty coverage.

It say 48 months cover with roadside assistance is $980 bucks and that is exactly what my Honda dealer told me this morning for the top of the line Honda warranty with roadside assistance. For God sakes don't shoot the messenger as that is what I was told by a very good Honda dealer that I have great respect for.

willtill
03-16-2017, 05:27 PM
It say 48 months cover with roadside assistance is $980 bucks and that is exactly what my Honda dealer told me this morning for the top of the line Honda warranty with roadside assistance. For God sakes don't shoot the messenger as that is what I was told by a very good Honda dealer that I have great respect for.

Those prices that are quoted in the link are Honda corporate suggested prices I believe. I think the dealerships have a minimum that they have to charge; the rest is gravy for them.

Could be that many stealerships realize that they can make a little off of the sale of a Honda protection plan at a discounted rate, rather than none by charging full price and very customers will take it?

2wheelsforme
03-16-2017, 06:30 PM
I tried them. They will not sell to Florida bikes. Here it is $800 without the roadside assistance.

Bob Penn
03-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Before an insurance company makes a policy a lot of very smart experienced people sit down and review the statistics. They build into the price the odds of a claim and a sure profit margin for themselves! Like Las vegas your playing against the house and the odds when you buy any insurance policy!
Like health care, car insurance and yes even bike insurance, it's to the advantage of the insurance industry when the price of repairs goes up resulting in the fear of loss, forcing people into buying their product. But the facts and numbers prove, most of us will never use these policies.

bob109
03-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Before an insurance company makes a policy a lot of very smart experienced people sit down and review the statistics. They build into the price the odds of a claim and a sure profit margin for themselves! Like Las vegas your playing against the house and the odds when you buy any insurance policy!
Like health care, car insurance and yes even bike insurance, it's to the advantage of the insurance industry when the price of repairs goes up resulting in the fear of loss, forcing people into buying their product. But the facts and numbers prove, most of us will never use these policies.

+1 Makers of Electric Hand Tools are a great example of those trying to push/sell extended warranties at the time of purchase. A "great gimmick" to generate revenue for the sellers/manufactures. Insurance Companies are, in fact, the "greatest bookies" in the world. They are the "supreme odds makers" and ensure themselves of hefty profits. Remember this Insurance Industry Motto! "The premiums of the many, cover the losses of the few" thereby guaranteeing a grand profit margin!

HBWinger
03-17-2017, 06:59 PM
When I bought my 2015 last year I got the 7 yr extended warrantee from Honda Corp. The mark up on these things are outrages. He started out at $980 and by the time we were done haggling it cost $500 and he took another $100 of the cost of my extras, he said he couldn't write it up for less than $500.

F6Dave
03-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Extended warranties notoriously have enormous markups. In my experience, the full list price on factory extended warranties is about double the dealer's cost. They often have tight margins on new bikes, but make some of that up with warranty profits.

I've bought 4 extended warranties (2 Honda and 2 Ford) at prices as low as $40 over the dealer's cost. I felt bad about the $40 deal and gave the finance lady a gift card for Christmas. These were all the genuine factory warranties. I would not take my chances with one of those aftermarket versions. Who knows if they will be around to pay when your transmission fails 5 years after the purchase?

Having said this, in EVERY case I ALWAYS lost money on my warranty purchase. That includes the 4 I bought, and one that came with a used bike. I've spent about $3,500 for extended warranties, and made less than $1,000 in claims. That's a lousy investment! I haven't decided if I'll buy one for the F6B yet, but I'm thinking I may spend the money on something else.

yellow rex
03-17-2017, 09:33 PM
For those that do not think the warranty is worth the $500.00 or so hope you never have the tranny problem that some
has had, or the diff leak the fluid out because the seal fail and you did not see while on a road trip you will wish for the
warranty.

Now on the other hand for the rider that rides 50000 miles a year or more it is cheap insurance for piece of mind while
riding, I have it on two of my Wings and the third one will have it before the three year factory warranty is up.

I have used it on a 02 wing I use to have, fork seals twice and sticky switches on the handle bar controls, it paid for it
self on that bike back in 04 that is when everything was covered even the CB if installed during the purchase of the bike.

willtill
03-18-2017, 04:43 AM
Yep; buying an extended warranty is a crap shoot; regarding if it will be used or not. The main reason why I bought one for this bike, is that I plan to keep it a lot longer than previous bikes I have owned.

Normally, I outgrow and tire of a particular motorcycle by 3 years or so.

F6Dave
03-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Yep; buying an extended warranty is a crap shoot; regarding if it will be used or not. The main reason why I bought one for this bike, is that I plan to keep it a lot longer than previous bikes I have owned.

Normally, I outgrow and tire of a particular motorcycle by 3 years or so.

True, it is a lot like gambling. Someone who puts a dollar into a slot machine and wins $100 thinks he got a good deal, but the other 99 guys who lost a buck just for the house to break even aren't so sure. Several years ago I read in Consumer Reports that for a typical extended warranty, the manufacturer pays out 17 cents in claims for every dollar it collects in premiums. If an auto or health insurance company had such low payouts (and high profits) they'd get investigated.

Even though I know they are a terrible deal, I still usually buy the extended warranties. I do it because it incentivizes me to get things fixed right away. For instance, last year my F-150 developed an axle seal leak. Without the warranty, I might have waited a while, then wasted most of a Saturday fixing it myself. But since it was covered I just dropped it at the dealer, got a rental paid for by Ford, and picked it up the next day.

VStarRider
03-21-2017, 11:53 AM
My father has been around bikes for nearly 60 years...he says the only problem I would probably ever have with a GW is the audio system as electronics tend to be substandard on bikes. He said the fact that they offer a three year warranty to begin with indicates their level of confidence in the bike; many factory warranties are only good for one year.

Thoughts?

DMAGOLDRDR
03-21-2017, 12:11 PM
I guess if you really care about warranty you will just have to buy used.....

EagleRider is now offering a 1,000,000 Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty

I did not bother to read the entire article nor do I care to. Don't know the cost either, just though it was entertaining news

https://motorcyclemarc.com/big-time-powertrain-protection-from-eaglerider/

edgeman55
03-21-2017, 01:34 PM
I just wish I could get back all the mula I wasted on never used extended warranty's over the last 30 years-I could pay cash for another F6B!.Plus with any Honda warranty it is only as good as the mechanic that will be working on it which with Honda dealers seems to be a real crapshoot.

opas ride
03-21-2017, 04:14 PM
I just wish I could get back all the mula I wasted on never used extended warranty's over the last 30 years-I could pay cash for another F6B!.Plus with any Honda warranty it is only as good as the mechanic that will be working on it which with Honda dealers seems to be a real crapshoot.

Very good analysis of the extended warranty deal from Honda and others...It is a shame that the majority of Honda dealers have terrible service techs, most of which are local high school kids that wrench on bike a couple times and think they know what they are doing.....So far I been lucky with my dealer, although they are 125 miles away, as they have a couple of really good, and well trained, GW techs that have many years of experience.....I also found a local small shop, close to my house, that does outstanding work and works mostly on Honda products....Owner also rides a Goldwing and does his own work.......Ride safe

AnthonyGen
03-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Has anyone else heard that Honda Corp is raising the prices effective April 1, 2017 on the extended warranty? I think I read it on a Goldwing page on Facebook. It could just be a dealer trying to create uncertainty and sell a bunch of warranties.

sammyseahawk
03-24-2017, 07:18 PM
I have not found evidence of the price increase yet. I too saw it posted on the GW Rider Facebook page. In the same post, a member was selling the extended warranty for $450. I need to buy one because my current factory warranty ends in April. I sent a email to my local Honda dealer to verify cost and any increase. If they say any cost above $500, I believe I will buy mine from the guy posting on Facebook's GW Rider page.