PDA

View Full Version : Heated Grips

stevenolts
03-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Are heated grips worth getting? Are the Honda OEM the recommended choice? Steve

DMAGOLDRDR
03-16-2017, 03:46 PM
I have heated gear (Gloves, Jacket ect) and still put the OEM grips on and feel it was well worth it. The grips are always there if needed and I have used them a few times on cold evening rides when I didn't have the heated gloves and one ride back from Daytona in October when I broke a wire in my heated gloves. I sure was happy I had them then.
I sprung for the OEM because I felt it was worth the cost to me. Under $200 from my local dealer and I installed them myself.

stevenolts
03-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Honda dealer wants $300.00 - 15% military discount Are they hard to install? I can get the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 to plug into my Jacket for $132.00 on Amazon. Steve

2wheelsforme
03-16-2017, 04:19 PM
I have heated grips and they were wonderful once when it cold (low40s) and I did not have my heated gear installed on the new bike yet. After installation and with the heated gloves I have not had the need to turn on the grips. For $300 I think I would put that toward a dual controller, jacket liner and a pair of gloves. A lot more expensive but 300 is a good start.

Delta
03-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Are heated grips worth getting? Are the Honda OEM the recommended choice? Steve

The last two bikes I've had, had factory heated grips. Some folks have problems with the grips not working after a time. For that kind of money the dealer wants to charge you, I'd make sure they came with at least a years warranty against failure. They are nice to have, but not a must have. As others have said, get a heated jacket and gloves. One of the guys I ride with has none of that. He simply buys hand warmers for $1.00 a package. They stay warm for a few hours. You can get a lot of hand warmers for $300!

F6B1911
03-16-2017, 05:52 PM
They're worth it if you live in Michigan, money well spent for me. Not a difficult install, but takes some time because of the amount of "stuff" you need to remove to route the wiring.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Honda dealer wants $300.00 - 15% military discount Are they hard to install? I can get the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 to plug into my Jacket for $132.00 on Amazon. Steve

$249 at Wingstuff... I work with my local dealer quite often so I do get a discount. They are really not difficult to install but it is a bit time consuming.

stevenolts
03-16-2017, 06:52 PM
I have them in my hands now / stopped on the way home. I already have the Tourmaster Synergy heated Jacket and it is a must have item. Thank you, Steve

stevenolts
03-16-2017, 10:09 PM
How much more work is it to change the air filter while I have the bike apart to install the heated grips? Steve

lloydmoore1
03-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Check out this YouTube vid it will tell you. Not mine but a good guide.
. https://youtu.be/zFUFL9hpnWg

DMAGOLDRDR
03-17-2017, 06:54 AM
How much more work is it to change the air filter while I have the bike apart to install the heated grips? Steve

You are very close to the Air Filter so have one ready when you tear down the bike. I can't post pictures or I would show how mine looked apart.

stevenolts
03-17-2017, 08:06 AM
You are very close to the Air Filter so have one ready when you tear down the bike. I can't post pictures or I would show how mine looked apart. I had the bike tore down once before to install the Ozzy Cruise but the bike had low miles on it then. Steve

jm21ddd15
03-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Check out this YouTube vid it will tell you. Not mine but a good guide.
. https://youtu.be/zFUFL9hpnWg

Good video on the filter change!
Now, my 2 cents on hand warmers. I love them. As an "older" guy, and since my Doc has me on blood thinner meds, my fingers do get colder, sooner , than when I was a youngster. I aI lways turn them on when it gets cool. And I don't need a real "heavy" pair of gloves, just my normal riding gloves work well. I would not buy another "Touring" bike without the heated grips.

stevenolts
03-17-2017, 10:07 AM
I am installing them this morning / I have the video you showed / the manual / and the maintenance videos I should be able to do this if I can locate a filter today. Steve

stevenolts
03-17-2017, 11:13 AM
I found the filter and I have the bike almost disassembled. It is cold so I am on a break. I am marking and bagging the fasteners as I go. I am putting the 5 bolts on each side through a diagram on cardboard and taping over so they don't fall out. I marked each bolt with a number starting from the bottom. I got everything back together after the Ozy Cruise so this should go will again. Steve

stevenolts
03-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Filter change was a success!!! I found a mouse nest // You better check yours / my bike is in the garage all the time.