PDA

View Full Version : Elite 4s + Ride-On = Many Smiles

Injun Joe
03-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys & Gals,

Long time, no post. I hope everyone is riding and doing well. I left my local dealer yesterday having gotten the 12k check up and a new pair of Dunlop Elite 4s with some goo called "Ride-On" inside them. The goo is supposed to both balance the wheels and seal punctures. Well, I don't know about the puncture part. (And hope I never do!) But the balancing part seems fantastic after the first 50 miles or so. So far, the tire change from the OEM Bridgestones seems very smooth. Given my riding style, they'll probably never get tested to their limits, but so far I'm a happy camper. It's supposed to be in the 80s today in Colorado so guess what I'll be doing.

opas ride
03-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys & Gals,

Long time, no post. I hope everyone is riding and doing well. I left my local dealer yesterday having gotten the 12k check up and a new pair of Dunlop Elite 4s with some goo called "Ride-On" inside them. The goo is supposed to both balance the wheels and seal punctures. Well, I don't know about the puncture part. (And hope I never do!) But the balancing part seems fantastic after the first 50 miles or so. So far, the tire change from the OEM Bridgestones seems very smooth. Given my riding style, they'll probably never get tested to their limits, but so far I'm a happy camper. It's supposed to be in the 80s today in Colorado so guess what I'll be doing.
Good choice on tires as I have the same ones and they are great so far..No "goo" inside, but they run smooth and nice enough for me so far...Ride safe

JackB
03-18-2017, 02:54 PM
There is also a rebate on them right now.

Injun Joe
03-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Yeah, the rebate is a nice, unexpected bonus. Honestly, I've never been too impressed with Dunlops in the past. They seemed a little "hard" to me without significant better wear. But I'm hoping these are the ones that make me a believer.

seadog
03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the rebate is a nice, unexpected bonus. Honestly, I've never been too impressed with Dunlops in the past. They seemed a little "hard" to me without significant better wear. But I'm hoping these are the ones that make me a believer.

The Elite 3's were all I would use on my M109R Suzuki I used to have and I was always pushing curves and turns and never once had them do anything but what they were supposed to do. The 3's did wear fast but I always put that back to the effect that they were eternally doing their job. Now I have an Elite 4 on the rear and will have one on the front as soon as the OEM stone wears out. The new 4's are suppose to have a hardened center for wear and a softer sideway for hanging the curves. I field tested it on my favorite curvy road right from the git go and it performed admirally for a fresh tire that is suppose to be slippery when new. It did everything I threw at it and did it very well. Some say they are more noisy than the Stone but can't hear them over the stereo so I couldn't tell you for sure on that one.

smiley
03-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Just used the Ride On Sealant with a new CT install and have no balancing issues myself. No punctures so far either. HaHa

2wheelsforme
03-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Bad experiences with Ride On magic goo myself. First a friend had a flat large enough that the RO would not seal it. But it did make the hole so slippery that a plug kit he also had with him would not stay in the hole making the plug kit useless. Next I had a front tire starting to bounce just a bit and put in some RE, it got worse. To top it off after removing the wheel and taking it to a shop they charged me extra to deal with the goo and get it all washed out so they could remount the tire. After a regular balance the bounce was gone. The goo is expensive does not always work makes a mess and lead weights work really good and are cheap. And besides in 15 years and 250K miles I've only had two punctures so what am I protecting against. Most recently a valve stem failed and I feel sure RE would have done nothing to help but most likely would have made a mess. Not for me with the magic goo!

willtill
03-19-2017, 06:16 AM
Bad experiences with Ride On magic goo myself. First a friend had a flat large enough that the RO would not seal it. But it did make the hole so slippery that a plug kit he also had with him would not stay in the hole making the plug kit useless. Next I had a front tire starting to bounce just a bit and put in some RE, it got worse. To top it off after removing the wheel and taking it to a shop they charged me extra to deal with the goo and get it all washed out so they could remount the tire. After a regular balance the bounce was gone. The goo is expensive does not always work makes a mess and lead weights work really good and are cheap. And besides in 15 years and 250K miles I've only had two punctures so what am I protecting against. Most recently a valve stem failed and I feel sure RE would have done nothing to help but most likely would have made a mess. Not for me with the magic goo!

Same as with the Slime I'd imagine? I'd never run that goo in a M/C tire but am contemplating it's use in bicycle tires.

Darren
03-19-2017, 01:40 PM
I just bought an Elite 4 rear, not fitted yet, still running an elite 3 on the front.

Steve 0080
03-19-2017, 04:28 PM
I would not ride very far WITH OUT ride on..., Great product and I have USED it !!!!!

Tom F6B
04-01-2017, 08:00 PM
I changed out the original Stones and went with the Elite 4's. First 1000 miles they were fine, second 1000 miles a little front wobble, now with 6000 miles on them, I have quite a wobble at 45mph. A friend is having the same issue with his at about the same mileage. Not sure they bite as well in the rain either.

Guess I'll ride these out but if they don't ride more miles than the a Stones, I'll switch back or try something different. Not impressed.

lgjhn
04-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Just mounted an new Elite 4 on the front and a Michelin CT on the back today for a fellow F6B member. I really like the design of the new E4, and if it performs as good as it looks, it should be a real winner. The Michelin?....LOL...all I'll say is: It's a beast! He rode about 200 miles home and then called me to tell me: "I REALLY like this setup." Time will tell, of course. Hopefully, he doesn't experience the wobble of the post above. We'll see.

opas ride
04-02-2017, 10:54 AM
I changed out the original Stones and went with the Elite 4's. First 1000 miles they were fine, second 1000 miles a little front wobble, now with 6000 miles on them, I have quite a wobble at 45mph. A friend is having the same issue with his at about the same mileage. Not sure they bite as well in the rain either.

Guess I'll ride these out but if they don't ride more miles than the a Stones, I'll switch back or try something different. Not impressed.

Not heard of any reports of any front end wobble with the Elite 4's...I love the ones on my bike and no issues...Maybe loose head bearings or something else??

Dirtstiff's F6B
04-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Here's a report of front end wobble on Elite 4's.
Never had it with the stones. Wobble began on the trip home from the shop who mounted them.
And no, nothing short of replacing them has stopped the wobble. No to beads; no to wheel bearings; no to neck and stem bearings; no to superbrace; no to tire psi.. No to Remount and re torqued.
Not overly impressed with them after about 8 thousand miles.

wjduke
04-02-2017, 06:47 PM
These are some of the first complaints from them. Teach has over 20k on hers, still going, and not one complaint. Strange how it's from one spectrum to another. Not sure what to make of it.

53driver
04-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Elite 4s and I just spent two weeks on the road.
Daytona, Smokies, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, back home.
They are at 14k miles and still look great.
The wobble and buzzing disappeared shortly after the Traxxion Dynamics Mega Monty install.
I'm much more content with them now than when they were first installed.

Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
04-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Here's a report of front end wobble on Elite 4's.
Never had it with the stones. Wobble began on the trip home from the shop who mounted them.
And no, nothing short of replacing them has stopped the wobble. No to beads; no to wheel bearings; no to neck and stem bearings; no to superbrace; no to tire psi.. No to Remount and re torqued.
Not overly impressed with them after about 8 thousand miles.

Very interesting discussion so far...I had a minor wobble at certain lower speeds with the stock Stones...Nothing at all at slower or speeds that I don't dare mention, (only occasionally)....Go figure!!