PDA

View Full Version : A few Madstad questions...

RickJ
03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
A recent thread got me thinking about getting a Madstad. My Cee Baily is ....OK....pretty good...not great in rain...some buffeting top of head...I could live with it...if I had to. I've read most of the many threads and posts here and I think I detect a theme...just want to check again.

I'm 5'9 ish in my boots, consensus seems to be that the recommended 11" isn't quite high enough and that the 13" set low is a better fit. (I have the ultimate mid-rider).

I'm getting mixed messages on the tint...I'd love dark for the look, but i have old eyes and would think the mid-tint would give me some better visibility for those time I need to see closer ie through the shield. Which brings me to the third point I'd love to hear opinions on: the bronze shield...I really searched this site and couldn't find ANY posts mentioning that color...is there ANY benefit? would it look totally weird (opinion, I realize) on a red F6? anyone have one?

In sum, my main question is shield height for a 5'91/2" rider...curious for responses on tint and bronze.

Thanks for putting up with yet another windshield post, but it's clear you aren't an F6B rider till you've bought more than one aftermarked windshield.

Dak44312
03-21-2017, 06:38 AM
I bought the x-dark 13" first. I'm 6'1". Didn't ride with it, but sitting in the garage, it seemed too tall in much except the lowest setting. I ordered the same thing in 11" x-dark and like it better (as much as I can without riding it yet). I kept both, as I'm waiting on my RDL seat to come in and it may raise me high enough to go back to the 13. In your case, I'd say you're probably in solid 11" territory.

willtill
03-21-2017, 06:42 AM
I'm 5' 10" and using a Ultimate King seat. Have the 13: Madstad but am thinking about purchasing a 15". I want just a little more wind blast protection over the top of my helmet. I think that putting a 15" all of the way down will be fine for summer as well; since the angle can be adjusted for more airflow.

I'm stuck on trying to figure out the correct tint though. Currently I have a medium gray and it's acceptable for the 13", want to get the same for the 15" but just am not too sure (yet)...

DMAGOLDRDR
03-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Seat height has a lot to do with your shield height. I run an 11" dark in all but real cold weather, then I put on my 15". Sitting on a Corbin that drops me down pretty low I can not see over my 15" shield at all.
I look well over the top of my 11" dark as I keep it slid down to about an inch up from the bottom.
There are no issues looking through the 11" dark shield until after dark and even then just slide it down and look over the top.
I did get caught in the rain at night and had a two hour ride home on the interstate and slid the 11" dark up to get away from the rain and looking through it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

RickJ
03-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Seat height has a lot to do with your shield height. I run an 11" dark in all but real cold weather, then I put on my 15". Sitting on a Corbin that drops me down pretty low I can not see over my 15" shield at all.
I look well over the top of my 11" dark as I keep it slid down to about an inch up from the bottom.
There are no issues looking through the 11" dark shield until after dark and even then just slide it down and look over the top.
I did get caught in the rain at night and had a two hour ride home on the interstate and slid the 11" dark up to get away from the rain and looking through it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Thanks...by the way...how tall are you. [edit: found your height on another post 5'11"...is that your final answer?]

DMAGOLDRDR
03-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Thanks...by the way...how tall are you. [edit: found your height on another post 5'11"...is that your final answer?]

Yup... 5' 11" 34" inseam if it helps

rdeady
03-21-2017, 08:20 PM
I'm 5 10" .just installed my secondo madstad. I had one last year and tryed both the 11 and the 13 with the stock seat. I easily saw over both. I just installed a mustang seat which puts me a little lower and today I installed my new madstad 13". I can still see over it even with the lower seat. In my opinion if you want a tint get one you can see way over. I like the clear because with dark tint you can not see down in front of the bike. Yep the tint looks damage cool but I need to see.

RickJ
03-21-2017, 08:38 PM
I'm 5 10" .just installed my secondo madstad. I had one last year and tryed both the 11 and the 13 with the stock seat. I easily saw over both. I just installed a mustang seat which puts me a little lower and today I installed my new madstad 13". I can still see over it even with the lower seat. In my opinion if you want a tint get one you can see way over. I like the clear because with dark tint you can not see down in front of the bike. Yep the tint looks damage cool but I need to see.

Sounds like you are seeing over well enough on the 13" even with the lower seat. They say my Ultimate seat is a bit taller than stock, though I don't feel it. Re, tint, yeah, thinking of mid-tint. OTOH my height is a good inch less than you.

dkooris
03-29-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm 5'7", and i bought the dark shield with the 11". Kind of wish I bought the 13, but I love the set up.

Geoff in Fairfield, CT