PDA

View Full Version : FOBO& Tvalve

vstar09
03-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Im going to install a FOBO tpms and Tvalve, Does anyone know if it is necessary to still use the valve stem keeper?

DMAGOLDRDR
03-23-2017, 04:16 PM
no need for the keeper any more.

willtill
03-23-2017, 06:30 PM
You HAVE to grind down the metal "tit" on the rim; that the keeper fastens to btw... so be ready to do that... if you want to keep the TPMS in place on the top of the T-Valve and use the horizontal valve for checking air and/or adding air.

98valk
03-23-2017, 07:12 PM
You HAVE to grind down the metal "tit" on the rim; that the keeper fastens to btw... so be ready to do that... if you want to keep the TPMS in place on the top of the T-Valve and use the horizontal valve for checking air and/or adding air.

Weird, I didn't have to grind mine down. It must a difference in T-valves. Might check before you grind.

willtill
03-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Weird, I didn't have to grind mine down. It must a difference in T-valves. Might check before you grind.
Here's a pic - NOT!

Can't see your pic - NOT! (insert smilie here)

Have you tried to air it up with the lower valve since you have installed it ???? Or are you using the top valve only and think everything is ok? Or.. did you install the T-Valve backwards?

here's a pic of mine...

http://i65.tinypic.com/2rdvqxu.jpg

Ixol Phaane
03-23-2017, 08:19 PM

Have you tried to air it up with the lower valve since you have installed it ???? Or are you using the top valve only and think everything is ok? Or.. did you install the T-Valve backwards?

here's a pic of mine...

Yeah, I have a similar "issue". The fit is tight for the air chuck, but... it does fit. It was also suggested in another thread to install the t-valve backwards, facing the opposite side (right side) of the wheel. That works too!

SierraKen
03-23-2017, 11:24 PM
Instead of grinding the "keeper" off, you can install a valve extender which you can buy at most auto parts stores. Now it's easy to air up.

Ixol Phaane
03-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Instead of grinding the "keeper" off, you can install a valve extender which you can buy at most auto parts stores. Now it's easy to air up.

Hi, Ken!
So, after adding all this "stuff" to the wheel, (t-valve, valve extender, tpms) would it concern you at all the amount of balancing weight that would be required? That is assuming no other balancing option is used. Just wondering.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-24-2017, 06:35 AM
I did not grind off the tab, but I did turn the T valve to point opposite stock. I never did like the idea of the valve pointing to the down side when the bike is on the side stand.
Much easier for me to check the front PSI this way.

willtill
03-24-2017, 07:58 AM
I did not grind off the tab, but I did turn the T valve to point opposite stock. I never did like the idea of the valve pointing to the down side when the bike is on the side stand.
Much easier for me to check the front PSI this way.

What about the rear wheel? Mighty tight to get to, on the right side....

DMAGOLDRDR
03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
What about the rear wheel? Mighty tight to get to, on the right side....

Oh crap,,,, I should have mentioned only the front was changed, sorry for the lack of information. I guess because I only changed the front the rear didn't come to mind.
I have a newer Goldwing wheel on the back that has the all metal valve (actually has the Honda TPMS but of course I can't use) so I didn't change the rear, only the front.

I need to remember to put the brain in gear before engaging the typing fingers.

98valk
03-24-2017, 03:07 PM

here's a pic of mine...

Yes, no & yes.
I have aired up both front and rear tires a couple of times as the temps got colder. I did install the front valve backwards (I don't remember why I didn't do the rear that way, too). I use the top valve for the sensor, and the side valve for filling.

Mine looks very similar to yours. I am going to pay more attention next time I air up the rear and see how close I am to having a problem.

I have a rubber spacer between the valve and the tire. That gives me some extra room. I remember that you went back in and tightened yours down some more. If you have the rubber spacer too, maybe it is more compressed that mine. Heck, I dont know. :)

98valk
03-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Hi, Ken!
So, after adding all this "stuff" to the wheel, (t-valve, valve extender, tpms) would it concern you at all the amount of balancing weight that would be required? That is assuming no other balancing option is used. Just wondering.

I'm not Ken, but here is my .02.

I weighed the stock valve verses my new metal T-valve and Sensor. The new valve and sensor weighed precisely 1oz more than the stock valve. I believe that is enough that a compensating weight should be added.

I was lucky and had a 1oz weight right at the valve of one wheel. So, I took that off and put it 180 from the valve on the other wheel.

SierraKen
03-24-2017, 09:57 PM
Hi, Ken!

Dave,
No,doesn't bother me. I have dynamic balances (Centramatics) on the bike and they take care of the balancing. The "extender" is plastic so there's little weight there. I have run the Centramatics on both my gl1800 and now my 6 and swear by them both for the smoothness and the longer tire life.