PDA

View Full Version : Remote saddlebag door release?

zeus661
03-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Wondering if anyone has installed this and wants to give a review? Thinking about purchasing it.

http://wingstuff.com/products/37086-electronic-saddlebag-door-release-w-remote

Thanks, Mark

Jimmytee
03-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Wondering if anyone has installed this and wants to give a review? Thinking about purchasing it.

http://wingstuff.com/products/37086-electronic-saddlebag-door-release-w-remote

Thanks, Mark

53Driver has and a few others and by coincidence , I am right in the middle of it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BkqPeE9AzLw/U5VI5lQ7YBI/AAAAAAAAIB8/NVyQCJBrD0w/s1600/winking-emoticon.png

06Blackpearl
03-26-2017, 09:31 AM
Subscribed

Dak44312
03-26-2017, 04:16 PM
I bought them in the middle of last season. I won't ever go back! Install is pretty straight forward, no special tools needed. There is no adjustment calibration needed...100% bolt-on. If you don't like them for some reason, reversal is easy since you aren't doing anything permanent to the bike. Key fobs are nice and have a sliding cover for the buttons to prevent accidental deployment.

The only negative at all would be that they can't be activated with a dead battery. As long as you have a lead for a charger installed (or you're able to remove the seat), there really isn't a reason not to have these.

SimonTemplar
03-27-2017, 01:41 AM
Once you install them, I take it that the manual latch releases no longer work?

....sT

Jimmytee
03-27-2017, 04:57 AM
Once you install them, I take it that the manual latch releases no longer work?

....sT

That would be correct. The actuator assembly mounts where the mechanism/door latch release mounts. Basically takes the place of the manual mechanism.

willtill
03-27-2017, 05:39 AM
Is there a voltage drain on the battery while the bike is stored for a long period; due to the remote receiver being tied in to the bike's power?

Jimmytee
03-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Is there a voltage drain on the battery while the bike is stored for a long period; due to the remote receiver being tied in to the bike's power?
I don't know what it might be ,but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be enough to be concerned with. I mean how long a period are we talking about? Just about every car you buy has such features. Any battery can discharge if not maintained over long periods. I suppose Steve aka 53Driver might have more input. He has had his on for awhile.

Darren
03-27-2017, 04:19 PM
Do you know if anyone in Canada sells these as buying from the states means paying lots of Tax

scoplin
03-27-2017, 08:09 PM
Installed it a few months back and have been really pleased. If battery is dead you can remove the seat and open bags manually or if you have a battery tender lead you can power it and you would have power to open the bags or if you have a trailer plug you can power through there. Several options to list a few if you have a dead battery and need in the side bags.

53driver
03-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Awesome little system.
Probably could have found the parts cheaper and built my own kit, but I just couldn't be arsed.
No drain on the battery that I have found.
Of course, Isleen is on a tender whenever she's home.

This is a must for the Corbin Smuggler mod.
Not sure how the cosmetics look with the levers removed from the stock seat.
JimmyTee?

Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
03-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Awesome little system.
Probably could have found the parts cheaper and built my own kit, but I just couldn't be arsed.
No drain on the battery that I have found.
Of course, Isleen is on a tender whenever she's home.

This is a must for the Corbin Smuggler mod.
Not sure how the cosmetics look with the levers removed from the stock seat.
JimmyTee?

Cheers,
Steve

The levers stay put in the grab bars. They just will not function.So cosmetically, no change.

P.Sutton
03-31-2017, 07:15 AM
Installed the kit just before heading to Daytona a few weeks back. It is absolutely worth it. It would never fail I would be on the bike with it running and my wife would need to add something to the saddle bag. Now I no longer have to shut off the bike and walk around to use the key. I also put a bit of heat shrink around the fob to soften it up against hitting the area around the ignition. You can still hit the button through it.

Gssbmm
03-31-2017, 09:00 PM
I installed these and love them. For the dead battery issue I have a lead that for the jumpbox I carry in the cubby. So if the battery is ever dead I can just plug it in and go. No tools needed got the jumpbox and lead at cyclegear.

willtill
04-01-2017, 04:45 AM
I installed these and love them. For the dead battery issue I have a lead that for the jumpbox I carry in the cubby. So if the battery is ever dead I can just plug it in and go. No tools needed got the jumpbox and lead at cyclegear.

I have one of those "Halo Bolt" jump boxes... I wonder if it will fit in the cubby box as well...? Must check. Normally I planned to carry it in the saddlebags but if I ever get the Remote saddlebag release gizmo's... wouldn't be a good idea I guess

Jimmytee
04-01-2017, 06:03 AM
I have one of those "Halo Bolt" jump boxes... I wonder if it will fit in the cubby box as well...? Must check. Normally I planned to carry it in the saddlebags but if I ever get the Remote saddlebag release gizmo's... wouldn't be a good idea I guess

I've got the pigtail / jack for a battery tender. Have a plug with alligator clips to power up, if needed. Keep it in the saddlebag......er uh wait better rethink that.....lol

willtill
04-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Welp... went ahead and ordered the remote Saddlebag openers. Guess it's time for another mod for the bike...

..grabbed some Muth mirrors as well. Been wanting those for quite awhile too.

zeus661
04-01-2017, 11:50 AM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that a 9V battery is enough power if you have a dead battery. Anyone know?

06Blackpearl
04-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Ordered myself one..
right from MBL though..

willtill
04-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Received the Muth Mirrors and the remote bag openers yesterday from Winfstuff.com. Got the Muth mirrors already installed (easy peasy to do). They looks GREAT!

Gonna do the saddlebag remote openers prolly today... I just need to figure out a cleaner way to attach all of my multiple accessory power leads to the battery (Gerbings power lead, Battery maintainer pigtail, and now the remote Saddlebag receiver lead).

Think that I'm going to splice them all into one power eyelet (keeping the fused leads for each one further down each wire). That'll clean up the attachment point at the battery.

3Chief
04-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Received the Muth Mirrors and the remote bag openers yesterday from Winfstuff.com. Got the Muth mirrors already installed (easy peasy to do). They looks GREAT!

Gonna do the saddlebag remote openers prolly today... I just need to figure out a cleaner way to attach all of my multiple accessory power leads to the battery (Gerbings power lead, Battery maintainer pigtail, and now the remote Saddlebag receiver lead).

Think that I'm going to splice them all into one power eyelet (keeping the fused leads for each one further down each wire). That'll clean up the attachment point at the battery.

I believe Gerbing has an adapter to plug into the tender pigtail...could save you a run of wire.

olegoat345
04-08-2017, 04:13 PM
tender pigtail should come with the tender = Just about any auto store sells them.

shortleg0521
04-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Seems to be time for an Aux fuse box?

willtill
04-08-2017, 09:27 PM
I believe Gerbing has an adapter to plug into the tender pigtail...could save you a run of wire.

They may have one. But I have so many different Gerbing power leads and such, I ain't buying ANOTHER one.

Seems to be time for an Aux fuse box?

I was thinking more of a small power distribution box, rather than a fuse box. I haven't been able to find one locally though. So I'll probably just splice all hot wires into one eyelet (same with negatives) and attach to the corresponding battery terminal. All spliced accessory wiring will still maintain their inline fuse.

At any rate, i am halfway done with installing the MBL saddlebag actuators... wired up everything this late afternoon and THEY WORK wonderfully.

Just need to clean up the wiring to the battery tomorrow morning. Then put the bike back together. probably be done by noonish.

I did use the supplied heat tape by MBL for where the saddlebag cable release ends attach to the actuators. Someone earlier had remarked that they used other sized shrink tape... but the size that MBL includes with the kit works well. I went and got a Harbor Freight heat gun ($12.99) to shrink them... worked very well also. Normally I use a BIC lighter to shrink heat tape but decided that a heat gun was better for this application.

Trying to figure out where to place that white box (MBL receiver) under the seat... where did the rest of you guys put it? It about the size of a fat pack of cigarettes. I'm thinking of leaving it on the top rear of the fuel tank; seems to be enough space there and close to the battery to runs the wires from it as well...

willtill
04-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Gratuitous pictures of the installed actuators:

http://i64.tinypic.com/zu0ev5.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lizko3.jpg

Not a hard install, but have to re-read the instructions a couple of times for it all to "sink in" mentally. The OEM locking latches have to be removed (of course) and the saddlebag door cables have to be rerouted from right to left/left to right; which involves unbolting the radio and moving it forward a bit. I think the pull on the saddlebag cables is better in this manner anyway (more of a straight lined shot for the cable to work - less stress on it).

Jimmytee
04-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Gratuitous pictures of the installed actuators:

http://i64.tinypic.com/zu0ev5.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lizko3.jpg

Not a hard install, but have to re-read the instructions a couple of times for it all to "sink in" mentally. The OEM locking latches have to be removed (of course) and the saddlebag door cables have to be rerouted from right to left/left to right; which involves unbolting the radio and moving it forward a bit. I think the pull on the saddlebag cables is better in this manner anyway (more of a straight lined shot for the cable to work - less stress on it).

I put the controller/receiver in my left saddelbag. My Sirius XM tuner sits where the instructions suggested. I had run power into that bag anyways for the amplifiers.

willtill
04-09-2017, 08:43 AM
I put the controller/receiver in my left saddelbag. My Sirius XM tuner sits where the instructions suggested. I had run power into that bag anyways for the amplifiers.

Ah, ok then... I think I'm going to leave it under the seat where I had previously remarked. Looks to be fairly weatherproof near the gas tank there... need to check fitment with the seat on first.

Going out now to tidy up all of the wiring and reassemble everything.

willtill
04-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Think I'm gonna need auxiliary fuse box after all. Think I'm gonna get the Eastern Beaver PC8. I've bought stuff previously from him before. Good quality stuff.

billsim
05-29-2017, 07:34 PM
I am curious about the remote saddlebag release you are talking about.
Is it possible to program my garage door remote to work these?
Already have my garage door remote as a key fob and it has a couple extra buttons.
If I can use a single remote I may pull the trigger.

Thanks!

willtill
05-29-2017, 07:50 PM
I am curious about the remote saddlebag release you are talking about.
Is it possible to program my garage door remote to work these?
Already have my garage door remote as a key fob and it has a couple extra buttons.
If I can use a single remote I may pull the trigger.

Thanks!

You would need to ask MBL Innovations about that.

dustytrader
05-30-2017, 01:02 PM
Best thing since sliced bread!