PDA

View Full Version : A lawn mower maintanence question for you folks

DMAGOLDRDR
03-31-2017, 03:33 PM
As many of you when not riding my motorcycle I have to work to fund my Motorcycle obsession. For work I have an Outdoor Power Equipment shop and have a question for you folks. This is for my own info on the newest craze from our Manufacturers.

New last year and coming out big this season are walk mowers with B&S engines that require no oil changes. "Just check and add" is their tag line.
My question is,, what do you folks think? I would guess most folks here do their own service on their mower, tractor or snowthrower ect, so does the $5 or so savings appeal to you or do you feel it is a gimmick.

As I said, just me trying to gauge feedback and see what questions will come up as customers start asking.

Thanks in advance
Dan

willtill
03-31-2017, 03:43 PM
Those new Briggs and Castration engines probably burn oil...? So adding oil to keep them replenished probably is a good deal for the manufacturer... to avoid a lawsuit for a poorly designed engine :-)

I change my mowers oil and air filter every year meself.

Bill1584
03-31-2017, 03:45 PM
That sounds like an odd thing for a manufacturer to hold up as a plus for new equipment. Even if I were to purchase such a machine, I would still change the oil at the end of each season. Then I either drain fuel or run it out. Each spring I have engines that work. Same for my two generators and hurricane season. I use a local small engine repair center for anything more than an occasional float or needle valve problem. It does not appeal to me, but I might want to read more about how exactly they intend to warranty machines that could have a blend of up to 10 year old oil in the case.

What you describe seems more likely to bring you more work than less. Just my take....

BEIST
03-31-2017, 03:52 PM
Everything today is disposable. I would bet money that they have come to the conclusion that no matter what you do the mower will only last five to ten years before it needs to be replaced.

Delta
03-31-2017, 04:03 PM
Always change mine when done for the season. A quart of oil is cheap insurance when compared to the cost of my Honda Snowblower. Don't know why anyone would recommend that an engine, run at full throttle for most of it's life, not have an oil change. Gotta be planned obsolescence.

F6B1911
03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
I bought a 21" self-propelled Honda in 1989, still runs like a champ.
Try that with a Briggs & Stratton.

willtill
03-31-2017, 04:43 PM
These days; the mower deck and associated parts usually go tits up; before the engine. Cheap metal and fasteners. I am VERY surprised that my MTD Yard Machine 2 stage snow thrower has lasted almost 10 years now... use the crap out of it during some bad winters up here... but it has a nice Tecumseh engine

opas ride
03-31-2017, 05:34 PM
My neighbor has an old mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine that is over 15 years old and he claims that he has NEVER changed the oil since new....Just added a little when needed!!..Go figure...I have a newer riding mower and I change the oil every season, but with my old MTD push mower that I now use just to trim the edges, etc., I just add a little oil when it becomes necessary...Bought a Homelite power washer two years ago with a Honda engine and now it won't run or start....Just saying!!!...Honda engine was made in China...

willtill
03-31-2017, 06:05 PM
My neighbor has an old mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine that is over 15 years old and he claims that he has NEVER changed the oil since new....Just added a little when needed!!..Go figure...I have a newer riding mower and I change the oil every season, but with my old MTD push mower that I now use just to trim the edges, etc., I just add a little oil when it becomes necessary...Bought a Homelite power washer two years ago with a Honda engine and now it won't run or start....Just saying!!!...Honda engine was made in China...

A Chinese copy? Honda is a Jap company.

Dirtstiff's F6B
03-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Everything today is disposable. I would bet money that they have come to the conclusion that no matter what you do the mower will only last five to ten years before it needs to be replaced.

Exactly, built for our throw away society.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-31-2017, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys for your input.

As for the "china crap" almost every small engine manufacturer (including Honda) has their engines built in China. It is the cheap labor.

The thought is that new design engines run cleaner and air filtration is better so that the oil doesn't get contaminated. As a repair shop I don't buy it, to me it is just a marketing ploy to appeal to the younger buyer that doesn't do their own maintenance.

opas ride
03-31-2017, 10:05 PM
A Chinese copy? Honda is a Jap company.

I know, but as said above in this thread, most small engines these days are made in China and the one on my power washer is clearly stated "Made in China"...Who knows these days??

3Chief
04-01-2017, 03:51 AM
I've run mowers for years without changing the oil. I know better now but as others have pointed out usually the deck or something else goes out before the motor. I've never had one seize and would haphazard a guess that the vast majority of people never change the oil and only add anyway...that's if they bother to check the oil at all...Honestly I'm fairly anal about changing the oil in my vehicles, however the mower oil doesn't concern me as they are nearly disposable these days. Now that I have a touch over 2 acres to mow vs under 3000 sq ft I may feel different...I've seen some pretty nasty oil in mowers and other small motors that kept right on going.

For home use I can see them making that statement. If the mowers being used commercially I wouldn't trust it. In my home area yards are generally getting smaller if they have one at all...So you could probably get ten years easily enough on one oil change. Chances are something else would go wrong first or you'd have forgotten when you purchased the mower and just replace it anyway. You as a small business owner would know better, especially being into small engine repair, however IMHO the average American has little to no mechanical inclination if they're under the age of 30. Their rumba lawnmower doesn't require oil changes...

rdeady
04-02-2017, 08:38 PM
I cut lawns for a living. Don't think I would be looking at anything like that. Maybe a homeowner machine might sell?