PDA

View Full Version : Seat upgrade?

CindyH
04-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Recently bought a 2014 F6B that still has the stock seat. I haven't gone on any really long rides yet, but the plan is to go touring in a couple of years.
I was looking at the day long seats, but I'm concerned about the extra height they add and where the narrow part of the seat is located (starts too far forward). I have a short inseam (30") and currently have some issues trying to manhandle the bike into parking spaces, etc. (it is much heavier than my 750 ACE). I can flat foot it if I'm all the way forward, but then have limited maneuverability with the foot pegs hitting my shins. I'd like to have a seat that is narrow farther back, but that will still be comfortable on long rides.
Am I asking for the impossible, or are there custom seats available that would fit these requirements?
Anyone else out there with a short inseam and a custom seat they really like?

3Chief
04-02-2017, 09:52 AM
I have a 29" inseam and I am fairly comfortable on my Mustang Daytripper. It sets you deeper into the bike and maybe an 1" farther back.

Jimmytee
04-02-2017, 10:15 AM
The stock seat isn't helpful for those of us with shorter inseams. The wider squared off corners kind of take up some of your inseam when you re trying to put your feet to the ground. I use a Corbin Dual Tour which I like, but Corbins are known for you either love them or hate them. They are a firm seat but the area where you put your legs down is rounded and much more comfortable putting your legs down. The Mustang is known to be a better choice for shorter inseams as well. The RDL are custom made for the rider, but they tend to have those wings for support that you will need to slide yourself forward to get your legs past when you put your feet down at stops.

yellow rex
04-02-2017, 10:49 AM
When I talk to RDL he told me it would add 1 inch to any seats original height so I purchase another Ultimate seat.

opas ride
04-02-2017, 10:51 AM
I have a shorter inseam myself and find the Mustang seat works well for me..Good on long rides and sits the rider about 1" lower into the bike. I also had 1/2" heels and soles added to my riding boots at the shoe repair shop and now I am good to go!! Many like the Russell Day Long seat, but I am not sure it is any lower than stock.....Another idea is Mean City Cycles, on the web, Allen will re-shape your stock seat and fit it to your liking...I have heard good reports from his work.....Good luck and ride safe

tommyb
04-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Something to consider is to bring your stock seat to a custom upholstery shop and have them rework it to fit you perfectly.

CindyH
04-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks all for the great advice. It's greatly appreciated.

taxfree4
04-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks all for the great advice. It's greatly appreciated.

If you come to the rally in Pigeon Forge you will be able to sit on all different makes and models of seats and find the one that suits you best.

rdeady
04-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Recently installed mustang seat. I like it so far.Can't say it's plush or anything but feels better then stock to me. I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I'm 5'10" and never had a problem touching the ground at stops even with an airhawk r which I almost always used cause the stock seat kinda hurt. So I'm actually a fair amount lower now that I'm not using the airhawk. Not enough seat time to tell if Im going to love the mustang but I kinda like it so far!

opas ride
04-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Recently installed mustang seat. I like it so far.Can't say it's plush or anything but feels better then stock to me. I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I'm 5'10" and never had a problem touching the ground at stops even with an airhawk r which I almost always used cause the stock seat kinda hurt. So I'm actually a fair amount lower now that I'm not using the airhawk. Not enough seat time to tell if Im going to love the mustang but I kinda like it so far!
Had the Mustang seat on my bike for 3 years now and it seems to get better with age and wear-in.....Kind of like me at 77 years old....(Ha)...Ride safe

tiltingf6b
04-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Recently bought a 2014 F6B that still has the stock seat. I haven't gone on any really long rides yet, but the plan is to go touring in a couple of years.
I was looking at the day long seats, but I'm concerned about the extra height they add and where the narrow part of the seat is located (starts too far forward). I have a short inseam (30") and currently have some issues trying to manhandle the bike into parking spaces, etc. (it is much heavier than my 750 ACE). I can flat foot it if I'm all the way forward, but then have limited maneuverability with the foot pegs hitting my shins. I'd like to have a seat that is narrow farther back, but that will still be comfortable on long rides.
Am I asking for the impossible, or are there custom seats available that would fit these requirements?
I shipped my OEM seat to Mean City Cycle for mods. it is slightly narrower and slightly lower maybe 1/2" but my 28" inseam still struggles to get traction when backing up or stopping on a hill where a turn maybe necessary from a stop.

imported_NMRed
04-03-2017, 02:33 PM
I have the RDL. It sits me an inc and a half higher than the stock seat, yet I find it much easier to flat foot at stops. The bucket in the seat makes backing much easier also. JMHO

CindyH
04-03-2017, 02:56 PM
I have the RDL. It sits me an inc and a half higher than the stock seat, yet I find it much easier to flat foot at stops. The bucket in the seat makes backing much easier also. JMHO

What is your inseam length? I can't imagine me being able to use a seat that is higher than the stock seat.

stepbill
04-03-2017, 04:37 PM
I have a 29 - 30" inseam and also have the RDL. When I come to a stop, I slide slightly forward and can stand flatfooted or just sit normal and only have 1 foot on the ground. I love the seat, had one on my Honda !VTX and then when I bought the F6B, got one for that. I have a pointed tailbone along with a flat butt which will cause me some pain on a long ride. With the RDL, it spreads your cheeks some and takes pressure off of that pressure point and as stated, I can ride all day long! I had the Ultimate seat and really like the look but it hurt. I also owned the Mustang and that was a hard ride also but too me, looks the best on the F6B. I'm getting up there in years (60), don't care too much anymore for looking good but do want to feel good. Good luck with your decision and welcome!

imported_NMRed
04-03-2017, 10:22 PM
Cindy

My inseam is 32 inches. The front of the seat is much narrower than stock. when you come to a stop you roll forward out of the pocket onto this narrower section so reaching the ground is much easier than on the stock seat. I know it sounds complicated, but it becomes natural by the third stop. The seat is made to fit the rider to the bike. Comfort is increased while making control, stops, and backing the bike easier. Search the threads and ask any other RDL owner. For added assurance RDL guarantees your comfort or they will return the seat to stock.

Crazyhorse
04-04-2017, 10:16 AM

The Mustang seat is good for lowering the rider. It is comfortable to a point but could be better. A sheep skin cover are something like it will help. I use the seat pad that Harley sales. Just got back from a round trip to Houston (1800 plus miles) not bad. Have pictures of my mustang seat in my gallery but still can't load them. I not sure if you can open my gallery and take a look.

CindyH
04-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks all.
I had a chance to sit on an F6B with a Mustang seat today (a very fortuitous meeting). It felt very comfortable, narrow enough to flat-foot it while sitting back. I liked the near-vertical part begind the rider. The reach to the handle bars seemed the same or maybe a little closer than my stock seat (which is a good thing).

Usswl
04-06-2017, 01:43 PM

I've read in several places there are some issues with the Mustang Seat for the F6B. Can you please confirm if this is the case as I'm leaning toward the mustang Daytripper Deluxe:

I understand that once the seat is fitted (which I've heard is difficult anyway), the levers used to open the saddlebags need to be pushed back manually instead of returning by spring as originally designed.

Additionally I've read that you can't open the side panes (battery access, etc) without removing the seat.

I'm keen to learn from your (and anyone else's) experience before dropping almost $600.

Thank you!

Uss

98valk
04-06-2017, 02:40 PM
I've read in several places there are some issues with the Mustang Seat for the F6B. Can you please confirm if this is the case as I'm leaning toward the mustang Daytripper Deluxe:

I understand that once the seat is fitted (which I've heard is difficult anyway), the levers used to open the saddlebags need to be pushed back manually instead of returning by spring as originally designed.

Additionally I've read that you can't open the side panes (battery access, etc) without removing the seat.

I'm keen to learn from your (and anyone else's) experience before dropping almost $600.

Thank you!

Uss

The seat is a b!tch to put on the first time. After a few months of settling, it goes off and on easily.

My saddlebag levers did used to stick, but are better now.

I trimmed about 1/2" off the lower skirting of my Mustang seat so that I could get the side panels off. They are still difficult to put back on, especially the top right grommet of the left side panel. Some say that they can get their panels off and back on with an unmolested Mustang seat - I don't know how they do it.

Usswl
04-06-2017, 03:01 PM
The seat is a b!tch to put on the first time. After a few months of settling, it goes off and on easily.

My saddlebag levers did used to stick, but are better now.

I trimmed about 1/2" off the lower skirting of my Mustang seat so that I could get the side panels off. They are still difficult to put back on, especially the top right grommet of the left side panel. Some say that they can get their panels off and back on with an unmolested Mustang seat - I don't know how they do it.

That's my concern. I don't want to drop that kinda money to then have to use work around in the future.

Pity, I've always loved my Mustang Seats on other bikes!

Bob Penn
04-06-2017, 03:33 PM

Thank you!

Uss

I've been using my Mustang deluxe for 3 years now the only complaint I have is you can't get a back rest for it. On long rides over 400 miles you will miss not being able to lay back on it. The nice little up turn does not support your lower back, only your butt.
I have not experienced any of the other difficulties you mentioned. Yes, you will have to remove the seat to get clear access to the battery, but that's not really that big of a deal. Your not going to do it that often and once you've done it once or three times it becomes easy. I never even bought the longer bolts that some advocate. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to reinstall the seat. You'll find a piece of string will help alien the lever pins with the holes makes it a lot easier and alleviates the return problem you mentioned if done properly.
The other thing I would recommend is you consider installing one of the handlebar kits (Kury. makes one for about $80) to move the bars closer to you and allows you to adjust them up or down for your comfort. This way your riding in a more relaxed upright position and not reaching forward so much. Remember the seat does move you back almost 2 inches.

Usswl
04-06-2017, 03:50 PM
I've been using my Mustang deluxe for 3 years now the only complaint I have is you can't get a back rest for it. On long rides over 400 miles you will miss not being able to lay back on it. The nice little up turn does not support your lower back, only your butt.
I have not experienced any of the other difficulties you mentioned. Yes, you will have to remove the seat to get clear access to the battery, but that's not really that big of a deal. Your not going to do it that often and once you've done it once or three times it becomes easy. I never even bought the longer bolts that some advocate. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to reinstall the seat. You'll find a piece of string will help alien the lever pins with the holes makes it a lot easier and alleviates the return problem you mentioned if done properly.
The other thing I would recommend is you consider installing one of the handlebar kits (Kury. makes one for about $80) to move the bars closer to you and allows you to adjust them up or down for your comfort. This way your riding in a more relaxed upright position and not reaching forward so much. Remember the seat does move you back almost 2 inches.

Thank you for your reply! I'll take these into consideration! I have. Bony butt (the cushioning is around my belly!! Ha!). So it may yet work for me.

jmdaniel
04-07-2017, 07:38 AM
I bought a new to me Mustang last week, installed it a few days ago, and had no issues. The previous owner said it would take me about 30 minutes to install it, and I think it was actually 20. No tapered bolts, everything opens like it should, easy peasy. The only thing that was a hiccup, was discovering that my dealer had neglected to put a washer under the head of one of the seat bolts, but I had an extra in the nuts and bolts drawers here.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii555/jmdaniel/IMG_9150_zpsg9whmaeq.jpg

stepbill
04-07-2017, 01:54 PM
I bought a new to me Mustang last week, installed it a few days ago, and had no issues. The previous owner said it would take me about 30 minutes to install it, and I think it was actually 20. No tapered bolts, everything opens like it should, easy peasy. The only thing that was a hiccup, was discovering that my dealer had neglected to put a washer under the head of one of the seat bolts, but I had an extra in the nuts and bolts drawers here.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii555/jmdaniel/IMG_9150_zpsg9whmaeq.jpg

Looks great! I have always loved the look of the Mustang seat!

CoCoKola
07-31-2017, 06:25 PM
I am looking forward to checking out the various seats. My biggest problem is $$, life is very different than before now that being able to work consistently has become a problem. It sounds like a RDL would be ideal or other custom mod as I am 6' with 32 inseam. I need both seats to be comfortable for us young riders with bodies that think we are 70+.

great thread!

Texas TC
08-01-2017, 02:41 PM
I bought one of the original Mustang seats when they were introduced. Hard as hell to install first time. Piece of cake after it gets broke in. I never had issues with the saddlebag latches. Love how it lets you sit in the frame rather on top of it like stock seat. I have some 1100 plus mile days on the Mustang seat and find it very comfortable. I had mini floorboards for a while but didn't like how I had to position my foot to reach the shifter. I did like the drop they provided so I kept the bracket and added Kury pegs. That combination helps to compensate for the lower seating position so my knees aren't in an uncomfortable position. The seat has held up well and I highly recommend.

crossbowme
08-06-2017, 03:49 PM
I have put an Ultimate Seat on each bike I have owned over the past years. I put on a lot of miles and I have been very satisfied with them. Just bought a new F6B and had one put on before I picked it up. A top quality product.

STR8UP
08-07-2017, 07:34 AM
If you just bought the bike give yourself a bit of riding time before buying a new seat. I was considering buying a Corbin seat as I had on all my previous bikes but I got used to the stock seat and now I can ride long days without any discomfort. The only thing I am considering is to change the cover to leather because it does not stick as much as vinyl when riding on hot sweaty days and leather looks better.

2wheelsforme
08-07-2017, 07:59 AM
I also got used to the stock seat and like it pretty good. I look forward to being at the rally where I can check out a RDL in person to see if I can justify the huge cost of one of those. I have used Ultimate and love it on my VTX but does not appear to move me backward much at all in the F6B version. An all day ride from here to Pigeon Forge will tell me if can live with this stock seat or not.

P.Sutton
08-07-2017, 09:39 PM
I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. The stock riding position made it hard to touch the ground and maneuver at a stop. I can hardly push the bike backward with any sort of incline without first getting off and walking next to the bike.

More importantly for me was the pinch in the center of my back between my shoulders. After 100 miles or so it made riding miserable. The MBL "wide" riser helped a bit but did not alleviate the pinch.

I chose an ultimate seat. The front area towards the tank is a bit narrower. I am still tippy toeing at stops but I can push the bike backward a little better if I stand towards the tank a bit.

That being said it completely transformed the bike. It is incredible how it really makes the bike ride and respond better. It also got rid of the pinch. I found I can go 250+ miles between stops for fuel and don't even get off the bike while fueling.

I guess what I am saying is I love my seat. It made my bike comfortable for me. However, I have no experience on anything else other than stock? YMMV.

grendl
08-08-2017, 11:32 AM
I used the stock seat for a couple of years. It broke in at around 700 miles and was comfortable with the backrest on long runs. I would routinely do 3-4 hundred mile "day rides" about 600 per day on a trip before I stopped and a couple of 1000/24 runs for the challenge.
I wanted the Mustang seat for the looks and the fact that it was lower seating position. I bought the deluxe and for looks it is beautiful. The lower seating position helps me in backing the bike up and gives a bit of confidence in the corners.
Right now I am not impressed with the overall comfort compared to my stock seat.I miss the backrest and it burns my butt/upper thigh area after about 200 miles. I haven't had it long enough to compare with the break-in on the stocker so I am withholding comfort judgement for a bit.

crossbowme
08-08-2017, 05:57 PM
When I talk to RDL he told me it would add 1 inch to any seats original height so I purchase another Ultimate seat.

X2

Brewdog
08-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Frustrated with the stock ass breaker seat, I decided to get Master Lugo's custom seats to fix it with their memory foam. They had a booth set up at the Mad River Harley store during the Sandusky Bike Week. They ground out the old factory foam and reshaped the core seat area and in the straight section where the seat rises and joins the passenger seat section, they shaped it like a horse saddle. It's much more comfortable now. Two hour job while I walked the vendors and took a couple HD test rides. It was one third the cost of a new Corbin seat. I'm glad I took a chance on this.