PDA

View Full Version : Selling the farm for...

pdxstriper
04-06-2017, 05:09 PM
....suspension upgrades!

Will be doing a lot of riding this summer, sold my boat, got money burning a hole in my pocket...

So I'm investing in front suspension. Specifically:
- Progressive Suspension springs/shocks
- Kuri fork brace
- All Balls steering bearings

Parts plus installation comes to a bit over $1,000. Will report back on how the bikes feels after work is done.

Pete

speedjunkie
04-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Looking forward to the ride report!

Mike

Apache1
04-06-2017, 08:48 PM
....suspension upgrades!

Will be doing a lot of riding this summer, sold my boat, got money burning a hole in my pocket...

So I'm investing in front suspension. Specifically:
- Progressive Suspension springs/shocks
- Kuri fork brace
- All Balls steering bearings

Parts plus installation comes to a bit over $1,000. Will report back on how the bikes feels after work is done.

Pete

Dang, $1000! I just received a set of progressive monotubes to my door for $292...fork brace maybe a couple hundred and easy install....bearings $40....labor on my bearings was about $250. Sure wished I would have done the monotubes when I had the bearing installed, the whole front end was already off. Hopefully they aren't charging you that much extra to throw the monotubes in your forks! I mean, they're laying right there already. Idk, just my thoughts...

pdxstriper
04-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Dang, $1000! I just received a set of progressive monotubes to my door for $292...fork brace maybe a couple hundred and easy install....bearings $40....labor on my bearings was about $250. Sure wished I would have done the monotubes when I had the bearing installed, the whole front end was already off. Hopefully they aren't charging you that much extra to throw the monotubes in your forks! I mean, they're laying right there already. Idk, just my thoughts...

I decided that I didn't want to do the work myself so I used a local shop with a great following among the local GW crowd. And of course the shop has to make money to stay alive. So I don't mind paying a few hundred more here.

pdxstriper
04-15-2017, 03:18 AM
Picked up my bike mid-week and rode it home from the shop - about 8-10 miles. It was raining lightly and I had a full day so that was all I got to ride.

But I could feel the difference before I left the shops driveway. It was not like some minor improvement - it was like a different bike. Once at some speed - I never got past about 50MPH - the difference was significant. I've heard the term 'the bike was on rails' but never experienced it before.

This sunday I am taking a longer ride with a group of friends. I can't wait to get some speed and distance on my new ride. It's like I got a new high performance road bike!

Jimmytee
04-15-2017, 03:27 AM
Going to finally get my monotubes in this weekend. Have had them since Christmas. :icon_rolleyes:

Also changing the head bearings.

Also installing the Arnott rear air suspension system on the rear.

Redlinez
04-15-2017, 09:47 AM
I'd love to do that and their rear shock. My wife and I ride a lot together and the suspension travel really needs help. It bottoms out way to easy and we aren't huge. I'm 190, she is less.... I might benefit more from the upgraded rear shock, not sure.

Steve 0080
04-15-2017, 10:55 AM
I have the All Balls in the mail and will doing them on my next tire change in May.... everyone says it is good money spent !!!

53driver
04-15-2017, 05:54 PM
I have the All Balls in the mail and will doing them on my next tire change in May.... everyone says it is good money spent !!!

Smoothes all the steering inputs and it feels almost like it's fly-by-wire.
Almost.....:icon_mrgreen:

Steve 0080
04-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Sweet !!!! I have a price, ( $240 +tax ) and will have it done after a scouting trip to Pigeon Forge the first week of May.

53driver
04-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Sweet !!!! I have a price, ( $240 +tax ) and will have it done after a scouting trip to Pigeon Forge the first week of May.

I'll be at Thunder on the Beach in Panama City that first week in May.
I wanted to do a route scouting expedition as well....dang.

pdxstriper
04-18-2017, 01:16 AM

I almost wish I had done the upgrades separately as I can't tell which of the 3 made the most improvement. There I go thinking too hard again.