PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg, Pa. Park & tour.

Bob Penn
04-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Awhile back there was some interest in visiting the Gettysburg National park.

Is that interest still there? https://www.nps.gov/gett/

Who's interested? When would you like to go? Should it be a planned one day or two day ride. Should it be a pick up ride? Meeting at various places along the road, but keeping to a tight schedule.
It's a 3+ hour ride south from my starting point in Mt. Pocono, Pa. Others may come from other directions and meet at various locations leading to and finally meeting up in Gettysburg.

wjduke
04-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Awhile back there was some interest in visiting the Gettysburg National park.

Is that interest still there? https://www.nps.gov/gett/

Who's interested? When would you like to go? Should it be a planned one day or two day ride. Should it be a pick up ride? Meeting at various places along the road, but keeping to a tight schedule.
It's a 3+ hour ride south from my starting point in Mt. Pocono, Pa. Others may come from other directions and meet at various locations leading to and finally meeting up in Gettysburg.

This is a tough one for me. It's really a three day deal. 2 days of travel and say either Saturday or Sunday there. Makes more sense to arrive one, visit one, leave one. Even at that, we'd have to leave early am. I don't mind a vacation day, Friday or Monday, then use Saturday and Sunday. I have June 5th as a tentative vacation day for a Pre Americade ride, if that's still on the agenda. I'll try to make it work.

willtill
04-17-2017, 09:21 AM
If your going to do Gettysburg, you may as well just ride a little farther and do Antietam as well. really nice, preserved battlefield. I went there last year.

https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm

Bob Penn
04-18-2017, 08:23 AM
This is a tough one for me. It's really a three day deal. 2 days of travel and say either Saturday or Sunday there. Makes more sense to arrive one, visit one, leave one. Even at that, we'd have to leave early am. I don't mind a vacation day, Friday or Monday, then use Saturday and Sunday. I have June 5th as a tentative vacation day for a Pre Americade ride, if that's still on the agenda. I'll try to make it work.

Or you could leave right after work and be in my area before 10 pm. Then catch a good nights sleep and be ready to go by 7 am. That would put you in Gettysburg by 10 am giving you 5 hours to tour before heading back to the hotel for dinner at 6:30 pm. Notice I added an extra half hour to the ride time to "P".
The next day you could sleep, relax, or ride. All in less then 2 full days you could be home in your own bed. Then you could wake up and be ready to get back to "WORK"

wjduke
04-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Or you could leave right after work and be in my area before 10 pm. Then catch a good nights sleep and be ready to go by 7 am. That would put you in Gettysburg by 10 am giving you 5 hours to tour before heading back to the hotel for dinner at 6:30 pm. Notice I added an extra half hour to the ride time to "P".
The next day you could sleep, relax, or ride. All in less then 2 full days you could be home in your own bed. Then you could wake up and be ready to get back to "WORK"

That works for me too! Let's get some other input, and see what happens.

tpwood
04-18-2017, 05:32 PM
It's a 1/2 hour ride for me, Just let me know what dates you all are planning. The last week in May and 1st week in June I'll be tied up between work and the Mid Atlantic Air Museum on Reading, if anyone interested they have a WW2 Weekend June 2,3 and 4, lots of reenacting and Air shows. I started volunteering in the restoration shop and will be working at the WW2 weekend.

willtill
04-18-2017, 07:00 PM
It's a 1/2 hour ride for me, Just let me know what dates you all are planning. The last week in May and 1st week in June I'll be tied up between work and the Mid Atlantic Air Museum on Reading, if anyone interested they have a WW2 Weekend June 2,3 and 4, lots of reenacting and Air shows. I started volunteering in the restoration shop and will be working at the WW2 weekend.

I will DEFINITELY do that again, if I'm still in the country. :yes:

f6bdan
05-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Will there be pie involved?

willtill
05-06-2017, 06:42 AM
I will DEFINITELY do that again, if I'm still in the country. :yes:

https://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

shortleg0521
05-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Will there be pie involved?

All you have to do is stop at the Lincoln dinner for good pie my friend.

Fingerz
05-07-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm 1.5 hours from Gettysburg (I'm near DC). Let me know if you decide to visit and when. It's a straight shot up 270 for me

salane972
05-07-2017, 08:13 PM
I'm in if/when this ride happens! :yes:

Bob Penn
05-08-2017, 10:04 AM
OK, Let's see how June 3 flies.

Who's seriously in? Should we do just the air show? Should we do just Gettysburg? Should we make a 2 day affair of it and do both? Realistically I doubt we could do both in one day they are at least an hour travel time apart.

So please anyone who's interested please speak up now on your preference.

Remember the air show is limited to that weekend. Gettysburg can be done any weekend in the spring, summer, or fall.

Details will follow next week after the vote.

willtill
05-08-2017, 10:22 AM
The roar of the Spitfire's and the P51 Mustangs are unforgettable... as they do their flyby's... :icon_cool:

wjduke
05-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Who's seriously in? Should we do just the air show? Should we do just Gettysburg? Should we make a 2 day affair of it and do both? Realistically I doubt we could do both in one day they are at least an hour travel time apart.

Remember the air show is limited to that weekend. Gettysburg can be done any weekend in the spring, summer, or fall.

I can't do that and an Americade ride on the same week, and honestly, right now, an Americade ride is more appealing. That's just me...don't want to delay any plans that work for the masses.

tpwood
05-08-2017, 04:12 PM
https://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Thanks for putting this up!

tpwood
05-08-2017, 04:17 PM

I'll be at the air show volunteering, so if you all come, I'll be busy working flight line safety crew. The only thing is we get about 30,000 visitors, so hotel rooms will be hard to get around Reading PA and the prices go through the roof. I have the week off before the show, could put up one or two people, got an open floor with air mattress and a comfortable couch. Live in mobile home so limited space. Reading 75 miles from my house. Let me know.

Bob Penn
06-01-2017, 06:01 AM
This morning's weather forecast for Saturday actually looks good.

So who's up for the air show?

willtill
06-01-2017, 06:16 AM
I am going (if I can get a domain controller rebuilt in time this weekend... work related)

DMAGOLDRDR
06-01-2017, 12:14 PM
This morning's weather forecast for Saturday actually looks good.

So who's up for the air show?

I have to work..........

Fingerz
06-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Ok I'm out. I wasn't sure when this was going to occur and now have made plans to do another ride on Saturday morning, weather permitted.

Bob Penn
06-05-2017, 09:50 AM
I don't know if anybody's interested but I thought I might throw this out again to see if there is still any interest in visiting Gettysburg.

Here is an option
http://www.gettysburgbikeweek.com/