PDA

View Full Version : Must Have Mods ...

ths61
10-07-2013, 12:20 AM
I thought it would be helpful to have a consolidated thread of the "Must Have Mods" for the F6B.

Please list what mods that have made significant improvements to your F6B (electrical, mechanical, environmental, comfort, etc).

Please include details like vendor, cost, part numbers, sizes, reversible/non-reversible, etc..

TIA

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Please list what mods that have made significant improvements to your F6B

The F6B from the factory is a very comfortable and complete package. The only "must have" item is a different windshield, and if you have a very quite helmet and don't mind a little wind blast then forget that one to. As for listing manufacture, parts numbers, cost, etc. There are just too many available, it's a matter of personal choice.

bob109
10-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Having bought the Basic Model F6B it came without a center-stand:shock: The stand was one of my first purchases. Bought it off E-Bay for a mere $25.00, a fraction of the cost of a new one. As the stand came without mounting hardware i.e. spring, right and left hand threaded bolts, those items were purchased separately from from Wing Stuff for $30.00.

As I do all my own "wrenching" and fabrication there, IMHO, is no more important and functional item than the CS. Having the bike in a true vertical and level position whenever performing tasks is priceless. Never owning a previous cycle that was equipped with a CS, I now realize what I was missing:icon_wink:

I'm now in the habit of putting the 6 on the CS whenever it's parked in my garage.

Steve 0080
10-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Great Ideal !!! but pretty much already done for you... Honda F6B - Accessories

This section is for members to post their accessories and sources. I would suggest that anyone that does install a item on there bike post it here and pics as well if anyone wants to follow your steps...

There is quite abit of info here...just go thru the links.

Texas TC
10-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Although my list of accessories is lengthy, I consider the must have items for the Deluxe model to be quite short. Windshield, throttle lock, grip covers, and highway pegs. All my other items I added was to make my F6B unique to my taste.

Bruce B
10-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Not a sexy mod, but one I think of as essential is a belly pan. After having it installed for 3,500-4,000 miles or so, a quick peek at it shows that it's taken quite a bit of abuse. I'd much rather abuse a cheap belly pan than the stuff it's down there protecting. Many, probably most, mods are for comfort and convenience. The belly pan is insurance.

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Not a sexy mod, but one I think of as essential is a belly pan. After having it installed for 3,500-4,000 miles or so, a quick peek at it shows that it's taken quite a bit of abuse. I'd much rather abuse a cheap belly pan than the stuff it's down there protecting. Many, probably most, mods are for comfort and convenience. The belly pan is insurance.

So I heard that the belly pan also improves handling at high speed and in windy weather. Is this really true? Any idea what stuff hit the bottom of your bike or is it just rocks and debris that come off the front tire? Also, how difficult is the install with a CS or do I need to bring it to someone with a lift?

Thanks for the tip. Insurance that does not go up in price every year is a good deal...

F6B-RICH
10-08-2013, 08:12 AM
So I heard that the belly pan also improves handling at high speed and in windy weather. Is this really true? Any idea what stuff hit the bottom of your bike or is it just rocks and debris that come off the front tire? Also, how difficult is the install with a CS or do I need to bring it to someone with a lift?

Thanks for the tip. Insurance that does not go up in price every year is a good deal...

Better handling not sure about that but I installed mine the first day I got my F6B.You just have to loosen 4 bolts and it slips behind the bottom side covers.
I did mine on the CS no lift required and takes about 10 min to install very easy.I have no damage to my belly pan just get a rock or two in the pan that must fly up and go into the front holes on the belly pan.

MichaelG
10-08-2013, 09:39 AM

As was already explained, the belly pan can be installed with bike on the centerstand. It does not interfere with the centerstand.

My comment will deal with handling issues. I cannot comment on HIGH speed handling improvement, as riding at 120+ mph you tend to keep your eyes and mind on the road...and not on whether your belly pan has improved the handling of the bike at those speeds. However...the belly pan DOES in fact improve the handling of the bike when dealing with strong cross winds. Ride the bike going east to west, or west to east, on Interstate 90 through South Dakota, and when the cross winds want to keep you riding at a 45 degree angle all day, the belly pan alleviates that lean angle, and allows you to be at a (approximately) 13.14159 degree angle.

The fact is that the belly pan allows the bike to cut through cross winds much better than the same bike without the belly pan. Lean angle is reduced by 66.314159 %. :banghead:

For me, the primary reason for using a belly pan is the protection of the underside of my engine cases. In 2003 I set off to ride the most miles in 30 days...30,681 miles...and did it in May, 2003. About 15 minutes before leaving Everett Powersports, in Everett, WA. I bought and installed a new belly pan for my '03 Wing. At the end of that 30 day time period, my bike was okay, but the new belly pan had a hole punched into it, and through it, about the side of a quarter. There was no damage to the engine case, but...just imagine if that belly pan had not been there.:shock:

Mustangjake
10-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Windshield, belly pan, throttle lock, drivers back rest, grip covers, highway peg, car tire, and Cobra 6 into 6 pipes! I would love a NOS kit!

dickiedeals
10-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Windshield, belly pan, throttle lock, drivers back rest, grip covers, highway peg, car tire, and Cobra 6 into 6 pipes! I would love a NOS kit!

Why the car tire? I must be missing something. Is there something wrong with Motorcycle tires? Been riding 45 years and have never heard of a car tire on a motorcycle until I purchased this F6B.

Dickie

1951vbs
10-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Why the car tire? I must be missing something. Is there something wrong with Motorcycle tires? Been riding 45 years and have never heard of a car tire on a motorcycle until I purchased this F6B.

Dickie

I guess every one has their own list. When I think "Must Have" I think of those things that the bike is so lacking they "Must" be done. As far as I'm concerned the F6B hit pretty close to the mark as delivered. I even like the stock windscreen. Yes I have done plenty of mods but "must have" certainly not a car tire. The stock tire lasts a long time and handles great. A car tire may give you ride quality and longevity that you prefer but it is not a "Must Have" just another personal choice. Like my Russell seat or Rivco highway pegs just personal choice not must have. I could easily ride this bike without them.

dickiedeals
10-08-2013, 06:34 PM
I guess every one has their own list. When I think "Must Have" I think of those things that the bike is so lacking they "Must" be done. As far as I'm concerned the F6B hit pretty close to the mark as delivered. I even like the stock windscreen. Yes I have done plenty of mods but "must have" certainly not a car tire. The stock tire lasts a long time and handles great. A car tire may give you ride quality and longevity that you prefer but it is not a "Must Have" just another personal choice. Like my Russell seat or Rivco highway pegs just personal choice not must have. I could easily ride this bike without them.

+1 Dickie

Mustangjake
10-08-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't think cobra 6 by 6 are or NOS kit or driver back rest & Corbin seat are
But all u mentioned was a car tire. Why ?

Scotrod
10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Gotta love 3-handed conversations! =)

dickiedeals
10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't think cobra 6 by 6 are or NOS kit or driver back rest & Corbin seat are
But all u mentioned was a car tire. Why ?

I kinda like The NOS. I can't ride a bike very long without a driver back rest.The car tire just seems odd to me. I'd kinda like someone to explain to me the advantages of the car tire. I'd like to know why people do it? I like to drag the pegs a lot so I'm not sure a car tire would be good or safe for that. Not knocking it, To each his own.
I like the Rush Racing Pipes Myself. Dickie

Mustangjake
10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
When u ride up towards hudson fl. maybe we can meet I we'll let u try my car tire it's been 120 mph it stops fast when using the rear brake
Larry came in from California he road it over a100 miles never knew there was a Car tire on the bike

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-08-2013, 11:44 PM
As was already explained, the belly pan can be installed with bike on the centerstand. It does not interfere with the centerstand.

My comment will deal with handling issues. I cannot comment on HIGH speed handling improvement, as riding at 120+ mph you tend to keep your eyes and mind on the road...and not on whether your belly pan has improved the handling of the bike at those speeds. However...the belly pan DOES in fact improve the handling of the bike when dealing with strong cross winds. Ride the bike going east to west, or west to east, on Interstate 90 through South Dakota, and when the cross winds want to keep you riding at a 45 degree angle all day, the belly pan alleviates that lean angle, and allows you to be at a (approximately) 13.14159 degree angle.

The fact is that the belly pan allows the bike to cut through cross winds much better than the same bike without the belly pan. Lean angle is reduced by 66.314159 %. :banghead:

For me, the primary reason for using a belly pan is the protection of the underside of my engine cases. In 2003 I set off to ride the most miles in 30 days...30,681 miles...and did it in May, 2003. About 15 minutes before leaving Everett Powersports, in Everett, WA. I bought and installed a new belly pan for my '03 Wing. At the end of that 30 day time period, my bike was okay, but the new belly pan had a hole punched into it, and through it, about the side of a quarter. There was no damage to the engine case, but...just imagine if that belly pan had not been there.:shock:

Thanks, Miles. You convinced me that it is worth the money and the crawl under my bike to install a belly pan. My Porsche has essentially the same thing but the geeks in Germany say it's to decrease drag and make the car handle better and go faster. I am into doing that for my F6B which is so much more fun to drive.