PDA

View Full Version : 1 place trailer

choptop
04-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Have a chance to pic up a 1 bike trailer from my brother, his riding days are unfortunately over. Not that I have a need for it, I'm not the trailer type of guy, especially w/the 6 but their are those inevitable times...
His trailer is long enough to place the 6 on but I would have the ass end/bags hanging over the end, is this a problem ? Thanks in advance.

Bighutch14
04-20-2017, 06:26 PM
It seems it wouldn't be a problem in my eyes. Your bike is just as "exposed" on the trailer as riding it down the road. As long as it's secure.

jm21ddd15
04-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Hello Chop. You say your not much of a trailer guy, so I would think it would be OK, for limited use. I don't think it would be ideal to haul a big bike half way across the country, but for a few shorter trips, would seem fine. What size wheels on the trailer, and what's the weight limit?

DMAGOLDRDR
04-21-2017, 06:31 AM
Have a chance to pic up a 1 bike trailer from my brother, his riding days are unfortunately over. Not that I have a need for it, I'm not the trailer type of guy, especially w/the 6 but their are those inevitable times...
His trailer is long enough to place the 6 on but I would have the ass end/bags hanging over the end, is this a problem ? Thanks in advance.

When trailering a load (any load on a trailer) at is all about weight placement. If there is too much weight behind the trailer axle you will not have enough weight on the tongue and that is why trailers sway going down the road. Not to mention the fact that the hitch will now try to lift itself off the ball.

10 to 15% of your total weight (trailer and load) should be on the tongue. 800lb load + 600lb trailer = 1400lb -----200lb tongue weigh to be safe.
So if you have enough tongue weight, you can let the load hang off the back.

Doug44
04-22-2017, 06:44 PM

8 ft in length would be the min IMO, in a 6.5 ft pickup bed its doable but a trailer I need 8 ft.

Steve 0080
04-23-2017, 09:21 AM
When trailering a load (any load on a trailer) at is all about weight placement. If there is too much weight behind the trailer axle you will not have enough weight on the tongue and that is why trailers sway going down the road. Not to mention the fact that the hitch will now try to lift itself off the ball.

10 to 15% of your total weight (trailer and load) should be on the tongue. 800lb load + 600lb trailer = 1400lb -----200lb tongue weigh to be safe.
So if you have enough tongue weight, you can let the load hang off the back.

+1 on load distribution/toungue weight .... The trailer will start the death dance if not correct! Trailer brakes are the only way to stop the dance.