PDA

View Full Version : Rivco aero pegs-the good and the bad according to me

Dweisman429
04-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Been needing some highway pegs bad to keep the legs happy. I knew the aero pegs were what i wanted...mostly because of the clean look and a close second is because they aren't going to scrape in the turns.

I read the negative reviews as well, but I wasn't bothered by those enough to change my mind.

So the good first...Taking them out of the box everything looks good. The instructions are adequate. Installation is a snap.

The bad.
1) This is more a gripe than anything but when I was attaching the peg section on the lower plate, Rivco uses SAE bolts. I just found it annoying that now there are four standard bolts on a metric bike.

2) The right peg is closer to the seat than the left peg. I had read about this so it was not a surprise bit it definitely irks me. I am going to look at drilling and tapping another hole to make them even.

But even with those two things, they look great on my B and I'm happy to get rid of more of that tacky chrome..lol

choptop
04-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Love mine.

98valk
04-21-2017, 06:12 PM
Been needing some highway pegs bad to keep the legs happy. I knew the aero pegs were what i wanted...mostly because of the clean look and a close second is because they aren't going to scrape in the turns.

I read the negative reviews as well, but I wasn't bothered by those enough to change my mind.

So the good first...Taking them out of the box everything looks good. The instructions are adequate. Installation is a snap.

The bad.
1) This is more a gripe than anything but when I was attaching the peg section on the lower plate, Rivco uses SAE bolts. I just found it annoying that now there are four standard bolts on a metric bike.

2) The right peg is closer to the seat than the left peg. I had read about this so it was not a surprise bit it definitely irks me. I am going to look at drilling and tapping another hole to make them even.

But even with those two things, they look great on my B and I'm happy to get rid of more of that tacky chrome..lol

I really like the clean look of them as well. Folding in and hiding away is too cool.

But, I cannot fathom how Rivco can be so stupid/ignorant/incompetent to not be able to drill holes in the correct place on a $300-400 item! They've been doin' it wrong for years and see no reason to fix it now. :moon:

No, I'm not pissed about it. :shock:

SimonTemplar
04-21-2017, 06:19 PM
.......But, I cannot fathom how Rivco can be so stupid/ignorant/incompetent to not be able to drill holes in the correct place on a $300-400 item! They've been doin' it wrong for years and see no reason to fix it now.........

And THAT is there reason I have not purchased a pair myself. That is ALSO the reason that I WON'T be buying them ever. Or at least not til Rivco pulls their heads out of their asses. If Rivco cares so little about their customer base...then I don't need to be a part of that base. A pity, though.....I kinda like the design in general, and would have bought a pair a long time ago had all this not been the case.

Think I might be about to pull the trigger on a pair of Kurakyn Ergo II's instead

....sT

wjduke
04-21-2017, 06:51 PM
I find it not an issue whatsoever...if I didn't read this I wouldn't know.

Wing'n it
04-21-2017, 08:42 PM
I redrilled mine on the left side and corrected my set but there is only one location that is correct and if they are moved they will offset again and a hole will show. It was worth it to me as they feel "normal" now. I also added pins to the bottom to make it easier to get a hold of them to open them. I did hear the new ones come with the pins?

Dweisman429
04-22-2017, 04:19 AM
I didnt mean to run these pegs down. They look slick and i think will work great for me.

if they are moved they will offset again and a hole will show.

I noticed that. I thought about drilling two new holes. That may be able to keep the other holes covered AND get them lined up. Not sure yet.

I did hear the new ones come with the pins?

It does have a short pin with a rubber nub on the bottom to help with opening them. I played with it in the garage fir a few minutes but wasnt able to open them with my foot. I will probably try to loosen them slightly, but i also may try to add or change the pin.

terryboyle
04-22-2017, 05:41 PM
I thought these were the greatest idea since sliced bread. Hadn't ever heard about this issue.
A photo of the corrected gear would be great.

GNW
04-22-2017, 06:51 PM
I just love mine !!!!
It's kinda like getting a new pair of glasses for me. Left side up, or right side up, adjust, don't know for sure. WTF it's all good after a few miles and I'm good. What was I think'in? Just me? Then I got to think'in bout my leg length and I just quit think'in bout it. Now it's ok but I'm not you so ..., now, no I don't want to think bout it no mo ! I guess that's the way I handled it. I love mine !!!!:icon_doh:

53driver
04-22-2017, 09:04 PM
I've got one of the "original" sets.
Mk 1, Mod 0.
Installed by Rivco in Daytona two years ago.
Yes, one is slightly closer than the other.
Couldn't tell you which one though.
I've a 30" inseam, the pegs are as far aft as they can go.
They fulfill their mission by allowing me to stretch out a bit on 1000 mile days.
I can also rest my heel on them and stretch out my hamstrings.

I tried a bolt on set of highway pegs. Ergo somethings.....
I couldn't get past the aesthetic displeasure I took looking at this sleek machine with these "things" sticking out.
The Aero pegs look like they were part of the original design of this bike.
Yeah, could be better, not perfect, but what is?

I'm VERY seldom a form over function guy, but any dis-functionality in these - in my humble (and widely ignored) opinion - is easily dismissed by their smooth alignment with the bike and its overall flow.

My $0.02.
Cheers,
Steve

pilotguy299
04-23-2017, 08:59 AM
i have read this before, but for the life of me i don't notice a difference when i'm riding. guess it just works.

98valk
04-23-2017, 11:35 AM
I can appreciate that most of you don't notice or care that the pegs are offset a little. Good for you! :yes:

The question still remains, "why not build them correctly in the first place??". Some clever guys here have figured out where to correctly drill the holes. This isn't a $29.99 product. Rivco certainly deserves some ribbing on this flaw. :poke:

I had contacted them about it. All they did was get pissed off. Pretty useless ... :shrug:

I still like mine. I agree that they look a lot better than something hanging off the case guards.

53driver
04-23-2017, 03:01 PM
I can appreciate that most of you don't notice or care that the pegs are offset a little. Good for you! :yes:

The question still remains, "why not build them correctly in the first place??". Some clever guys here have figured out where to correctly drill the holes. This isn't a $29.99 product. Rivco certainly deserves some ribbing on this flaw. :poke:

I had contacted them about it. All they did was get pissed off. Pretty useless ... :shrug:

I still like mine. I agree that they look a lot better than something hanging off the case guards.

I do agree about building them correctly in the first place.
And I agree that for that kind of coin, the engineering and implementation should be better than it is.

Now all that being said, I'd love for a Rivco design engineer post on this thread the reasoning behind the lack of offset.
There just might be a reason.....but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
Cheers,
Steve

ghost
04-24-2017, 07:19 PM
I can't imagine a better foot peg solution perfectly designed for the F6B. You really have to use your imagination to find fault with them. And, if you have have a chance to stop in at Rivco, you will find the most welcoming group of people that you will ever come across.

98valk
04-24-2017, 08:39 PM
I can't imagine a better foot peg solution perfectly designed for the F6B. You really have to use your imagination to find fault with them. And, if you have have a chance to stop in at Rivco, you will find the most welcoming group of people that you will ever come across.

Well, they are very cool. I like mine a lot. But, they clearly are not "perfect".

It is not our "imagination" that they are offset incorrectly.

Rivco was very welcoming to me too, until they realized that they had screwed up for years. Then they were "short" and "curt" - not so friendly anymore. :yikes:

You are welcome to your opinion, as we all are. But, "imagination" and "perfect" set me off. Maybe you meant something else .... :shrug:

Bob Penn
04-25-2017, 06:48 AM
Yes, I've had the same problem with women I find they all come with different size pegs. Lets face it nothings perfect.

Then again. Only a boob would complain about it!!:lolup:

Old Ryder
04-25-2017, 09:13 AM
I do agree about building them correctly in the first place.
And I agree that for that kind of coin, the engineering and implementation should be better than it is.

Now all that being said, I'd love for a Rivco design engineer post on this thread the reasoning behind the lack of offset.
There just might be a reason.....but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
Cheers,
Steve

I am not a Rivco engineer but I Have slept at a Holiday Inn a number of times.

Seriously, I noticed the problem immediately and tried to figure out why they would do that. This is what I came up with as a possible explanation. I think that it has to do with the heads being offset from each other. If they got them perfectly even according to the rider, then there would be a thread about them looking like crap with the left side being set further back on the engine than the right side and guys would be complaining about the looks being un-even.

JMHO of course.

kenny urban
04-25-2017, 04:26 PM

The bad.

But even with those two things, they look great on my B and I'm happy to get rid of more of that tacky chrome..lolI have a way to use the areo-pegs that suits me,,I mount a pair of good pegs on the frount crash bar, towards the top,,ONLY when I go on LONG Trips,,I then put my heel on the areo-pegs and the Ball of my feet on the Front mounted pegs,, THAT means that most of the year, I ONLY have areo pegs,,KennyU